Pint for a Pint - Glasto 2021

squirrelarmy

37 minutes ago, Gilb said:

I signed up a couple of months ago but apparently due to the huge numbers of new people wanting to give blood since lockdown they don't need my juice just yet, so I'm on the waiting list :) 

Which is a very good thing imo.

To be honest I wouldn't rely on them contacting you, and would instead suggest checking the site every so often and seeing if it lets you book a session - I had an email a couple days ago essentially saying something along the lines of sessions at mobile locations (church halls, sports centres, etc) are busier than usual but at their permanent city centre sites they're short of donors (due to less people going into those areas) so can we donate there if able to do so.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

To be honest I wouldn't rely on them contacting you, and would instead suggest checking the site every so often and seeing if it lets you book a session - I had an email a couple days ago essentially saying something along the lines of sessions at mobile locations (church halls, sports centres, etc) are busier than usual but at their permanent city centre sites they're short of donors (due to less people going into those areas) so can we donate there if able to do so.

Yeah this is a good shout. I quite often donate at the permanent centre in central London and can usually get spaces quite last minute.

Just completed my first donation & wanted to say to anyone who is unsure, it couldn’t have been simpler. 
All the staff are fab, it was mildly uncomfortable at most, and the mini cheddars and biscuits at the end are a  definite bonus.

Plus it’s a valid and amazing reason to get out of the house and see some new (mask covered) faces.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Just completed my first donation & wanted to say to anyone who is unsure, it couldn’t have been simpler. 
All the staff are fab, it was mildly uncomfortable at most, and the mini cheddars and biscuits at the end are a  definite bonus.

Plus it’s a valid and amazing reason to get out of the house and see some new (mask covered) faces.

Congratulations on your first donation! Glad to hear it went smoothly :) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Well done, glad it all went so well - I've never had a single issue. Welcome to the Mini Cheddars club. 

• Like 1

Only issue I've ever had is having a trainee once, and there was a wee bit of bleeding around the needle (not the bleeding there's meant to be before anyone decides to be a smartass :lol: )

Even that wasn't bad, just a minor bit of discomfort. It's all good and you get to feel proper smug as you have your biscuit and a cup of squash afterwards.

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's a pleasant surprise, I know a few friends that will be glad to hear this and I hope will now book up a donation date. 

35 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

That is good news, it's good to see that they continue to work to avoid unnecessary exclusions.

Too right.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Years ago The blood transfusion donation van used to park in the school I worked in and the kids would call out any staff member who didn’t volunteer!   We got a badge as well as the digestive and tea. Don’t think they have mobile units any more. 

I remember it used to come to my college back in the 90s. Of course we would go straight into the pub afterwards to replenish the lost fluids. That was always a cheap night out to get drunk. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I remember it used to come to my college back in the 90s. Of course we would go straight into the pub afterwards to replenish the lost fluids. That was always a cheap night out to get drunk. 

Speaking of getting drunk, have we figured out how many of us you're buying a pint for yet?

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Speaking of getting drunk, have we figured out how many of us you're buying a pint for yet?

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m going to have to get my spreadsheet skills on the go! You’re going to have to meet me in person though to claim it. 

Every silver lining has a cloud. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Just joined the register for Anthony Nolan Stem Cell Donations, has anyone hear ever been called upon to donate? If so what's the process like? 

No idea. I'm still hoping that my registration for bone marrow donation never comes back to haunt me! 😄