Pint for a Pint - Glasto 2021

squirrelarmy

logo-give-blood.svg

As some of you may know, unfortunately I'm one of those people who are unable to give blood due to medical reasons. I would love to be able to and have done in the past but it's no longer an option for myself.

In order to correct this balance I am willing to buy an efests member a pint of lager/cider at the eFests meet next June if they sign up to give blood for the first time before the festival. 

Basically if you donate a pint, then I'll buy you a pint in return. 

I know there are others who are also unable to give blood, @crazyfool1 has also expressed an interest in this. If anyone else wants to donate beer in return for blood then make yourself known in this thread. If you already give blood and want to add a little extra incentive for those who have never done it then you're also free to join in.

The only conditions are if you are donating blood for the first time and the pint is only redeemable at the eFests meet. I don't want you to bring me a pint of blood, let the professionals extract it but I would like to thank whoever donates for me in person. 

Full details to sign up for the service are here: https://www.blood.co.uk/

More details about giving blood for the first time here: https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/giving-blood-for-the-first-time/

• Like 7
  • Upvote 11

I’ve been registered for a while but never got round to donating so thank you for reminding me. 
See below for my confirmation.

I’ve never made it to the meet as always distracted /too drunk elsewhere and I doubt next year will be much different. 
So instead in my place, please can I nominate for my pint to be donated to @toiletduck or as a big thank you.

P.S what a fantastic and lovely idea

2FE64F34-FB1B-41BF-8F21-4CCE5531288A.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

logo-give-blood.svg

As some of you may know, unfortunately I'm one of those people who are unable to give blood due to medical reasons. I would love to be able to and have done in the past but it's no longer an option for myself.

In order to correct this balance I am willing to buy an efests member a pint of lager/cider at the eFests meet next June if they sign up to give blood for the first time before the festival. 

Basically if you donate a pint, then I'll buy you a pint in return. 

I know there are others who are also unable to give blood, @crazyfool1 has also expressed an interest in this. If anyone else wants to donate beer in return for blood then make yourself known in this thread. If you already give blood and want to add a little extra incentive for those who have never done it then you're also free to join in.

The only conditions are if you are donating blood for the first time and the pint is only redeemable at the eFests meet. I don't want you to bring me a pint of blood, let the professionals extract it but I would like to thank whoever donates for me in person. 

Full details to sign up for the service are here: https://www.blood.co.uk/

More details about giving blood for the first time here: https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/giving-blood-for-the-first-time/

Great idea.

I gave blood regularly for many years until being disqualified due to needing a transfusion myself about 10 years ago. I always donated because it is "the right thing to do", becoming a recipient really emphasised the importance of this service.

I strongly encourage anyone who is eligible to sign up to become a donor

Alan  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

I'll give blood, and donate the price of a pint to a charity of your choice

That’s fantastic. My chosen charity is the Yorkshire Brain Tumour Charity. 

The funding they receive helped to train my surgeon. 

https://www.yorksbtc.org.uk/Support-Us/Donate

Great idea. I have given blood since I was 18. My dad taught me it was the right thing to do and he got his gold badge. I'm only on silver so far. My son's also give blood and have done since they were 18. They don't think it's anything but a normal thing to do. It's a pity it's not discussed in school as a matter of course. ( some might but it wasn't at any I taught at). Anyway i hope a few of you are able to do this little act of kindness.  

I gave blood for the first time last month and am booked in to give again in February, the first person in my family to do so and I'm really not sure why I didn't start doing it as soon as I turned 18. It's a fantastic thing to do and Squirrel, good on ya for starting this thread. 

Edited by Kalopsia

@squirrelarmy  Thirty years ago in a previous life I was a Work Study Engineer...a time and motion man in a Mid Wales factory....yes,realy! Two or three times a year we'd all shuffle into the canteen and give blood. The peer pressure was so intense that even needle phobes ended up in the queue. Fainting while waiting rarely got you off the hook, or spike as it were. 

To be honest, I wasn't particulary heroic as the whole process didn't bother me and I was happy to be able to escape both my office desk and the shopfloor for an hour or so of skive and a cup of tea and a biscuit. 

Haven't really thought about it since I took voluntary redundancy in '92 and that changed my life forever. Best thing that I ever did BTW. 

Technical Director "What are you doing, are you mad? You've got a job for life here"

Me "Exactly what I'm worried about. I'm off"

Thanks for bringing it up. I'll join the queue again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

The snacks have definitely gotten better. Back in the 1980s you were lucky to get a digestive bikkie. Now it’s mini cheddars, club biscuits even a twix if you’re lucky. One time I got a packet of mini iced gems 🤪🤪🤪 

Things have improved! Haven't been able to donate since 2005 (had to have a transfusion myself. Worked out I think I was still in "credit") and even then you still felt lucky to get a chocolate digestive. Never McVities obviously. And no chance of anything in its own wrapper

• Like 1