Spotify Wrapped

nikkic

22 minutes ago, JHad said:

I saw a tweet from a music industry person (can't remember who) suggesting it was created by a developer as a test who then forgot to remove it. They provided absolutely no evidence to back this up, of course. 

Anyway, if that is the case, that developer had a damn fine taste in music! 

It ('Chamber Psych') seems to have no existence outside of Spotify and the playlist @Chawk posted above. It also seems to have worked as a marketing tool to get lots of people with such fine taste talking about Spotify.

I feel Reply-All should make a podcast out of this.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

9 hours ago, Chawk said:

Do you Chamber Psychers like the look of this playlist?

If so then I guess they're right

I’d love to know the criteria for this genre. How anyone could put the Lovely Eggs together with BC Camplight is beyond me. There’s some goodies in this list and then some utter drivel. 

The first time I've ever looked at me Wrapped...

I've listened to Matt Berry's Rainbow theme more than I thought!

What the flip is Chamber Psych?

I was a pioneer as far as Cornershop's Highly Amplified goes, which is nice as it's a tune!

Good stuff, Bowie won (top 0.5% of listeners!).

Edited by Barney McGrew

Guessing there's no way at looking at previous years' Wrapped? My 'minutes listened' have dropped dramatically which saddens me, given the year I've/we've had and how music gets me through so much. However, I have discovered more new artists than in previous years. 

I've had a weird block this year listening to music less frequently than before - this is 100% linked to the Glasto disappointment. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, gigpusher said:

Looking at what they classify it as I'd say 6 Music playlist stuff that they can't easily categorise elsewhere??

Indie, rock, pop, dance, country, rap, classical and ‘other’ are the only legitimate genres, everything else is just pretentiousness 😂

Edited by John the Moth

11 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Indie, rock, pop, dance, country, rap, classical and ‘other’ are the only legitimate genres, everything else is just pretentiousness 😂

Not even Jazz/ Blues?? I only have 2 genres of music Stuff I like, Stuff I don't. :D 

Edited by gigpusher

11 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Surely Indie is just a sub-genre of rock...?

Personally I like to fill my collection with micro genres of my own liking, such as Hair Metal, Yacht Rock, Wine Bar Pop, Mullet Rock, Wuss Rock etc.

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Surely Indie is just a sub-genre of rock...?

Personally I like to fill my collection with micro genres of my own liking, such as Hair Metal, Yacht Rock, Wine Bar Pop, Mullet Rock, Wuss Rock etc.

I remember the ITV chart show, Kylie was frequently at the top of the Indie charts 😱

That didn't go well. Two issues:
1) Wife & daughter must be sneakily listening to George Ezra (came in at #2 - yes, a steamy #2 - between Clutch and Rammstein
2) It says our favourite track was Wild Horse/Rolling Stones - listened to it 23 times, all on 21st June - methinks he lies, or we played it once on repeat and then spent the afternoon in the garden while our peace lily was being tortured.

9 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

That didn't go well. Two issues:
1) Wife & daughter must be sneakily listening to George Ezra (came in at #2 - yes, a steamy #2 - between Clutch and Rammstein
2) It says our favourite track was Wild Horse/Rolling Stones - listened to it 23 times, all on 21st June - methinks he lies, or we played it once on repeat and then spent the afternoon in the garden while our peace lily was being tortured.

Yes Deezer have done an equivalent and my top artists are basically the ones we went to gigs at the start of the year. We just played a lot of stuff on repeat for a few weeks. Even left them on for the dogs when we went out so it's not necessarily representative of what we listened to.  

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yes Deezer have done an equivalent and my top artists are basically the ones we went to gigs at the start of the year. We just played a lot of stuff on repeat for a few weeks. Even left them on for the dogs when we went out so it's not necessarily representative of what we listened to.  

I found the Deezer one pretty uninformative tbh. Although it did tell me that, based on average tempo, my music animal is a cat. Which was nice to know.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I found the Deezer one pretty uninformative tbh. Although it did tell me that, based on average tempo, my music animal is a cat. Which was nice to know.

I was a cat as well which I strongly objected to and assumed it was because my most listened to artist was The Lounge Kittens. Yes it was a poor man's version of the Spotify one and my top 3 tracks were all from the same artist Liz Lawrence which will be because I saw her twice this year live. 

On 12/2/2020 at 3:38 PM, balthazarstarbuck said:

Does anyone know what “Chamber Psych” is? I don’t but it’s apparently my second most listened to genre this year. Google unforthcoming either.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, uscore said:

no, but it's my second one too!

On 12/2/2020 at 6:52 PM, JHad said:

I got Chamber Psych as well. No idea.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, dentalplan said:

I was in the top 0.5% of Black Midi listeners in 2020. I don't get it - I only listened to two of their songs.

I was top 0.5% for Four Tet. I did listen to Mr Hebden a lot. My top 3 songs are his tracks.
Really turned me on to a lot of other electronic artists too... Jon Hopkins, Caribou, Bicep, Floating Points, Bonobo, SquarePusher etc, and also rediscovering a love of Aphex Twin that had been forgotten long ago. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:42 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Got chamber psych as number 2 too ! What’s going on. What is it? Or are they making it up?

On 12/2/2020 at 11:17 PM, Chawk said:

Do you Chamber Psychers like the look of this playlist?

If so then I guess they're right

On 12/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

It ('Chamber Psych') seems to have no existence outside of Spotify and the playlist @Chawk posted above. It also seems to have worked as a marketing tool to get lots of people with such fine taste talking about Spotify.

I feel Reply-All should make a podcast out of this.

I’m another chamber psych fanatic apparently, #2 for me too. That playlist is half bilge, half hits. 

E2A455AB-6357-4B9F-B5A9-FF1CF2BE0FDA.jpeg

Anyone who likes getting their wrapped might like last.fm too. 

If you haven’t heard of it, it logs all your listens across all time. It basically gives you Spotify Wrapped on a weekly basis, plus makes recommendations as a result. 

Here’s my profile, complete with sporadic use between 2005 and 2012, when I had to remember to activate the plug in to log listens, and a few years gap when I didn’t use the plug in before the whole process got automated and I logged everything. 

https://www.last.fm/user/willtopps

710AE876-0B99-4551-8337-5F0354B93463.jpeg

Edited by blutarsky