Gigs of the year 2020

zahidf

I feel very fortunate to have seen 98 live acts so far in 2020. Like a few other posters, I was at Rockaway Beach in January and attended a couple of days of the 6 Music Festival in March (my last proper gigs), just prior to the ongoing shit-show. I also attended gigs like a mad man in January and February and have managed to catch a few socially distanced shows, although I'm not sold on the concept.

Going to try to go with a top 10 in order, but this would probably be different every time I thought about it:

1. Porridge Radio @ The Lexington
  2. Black Country, New Road @ Village Underground (although CLF Art Cafe gig also similar level)
  3. Sinead O'Brien @ The Lexington
  4. Anna Meredith @ 6 Music Festival (Roundhouse)
  5. Scottibrains @ The Shacklewell Arms (having a chat with Dan Carey in the toilet queue is worth an extra couple of spots!)
  6. Damien Jurado @ Emmanuel Centre
  7. Max Richter @ The Barbican
  8. The Jesus & Mary Chain @ Rockaway Beach
  9. Fontaines D.C. @ Rockaway Beach
  10. Damo Suzuki @ The Lexington

Honourable mention to Bull for the best Socially Distanced gig, in the garden of The Victoria. The only time it's not felt weird.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, nikkic said:

No gigs, no festivals, no nights out.

Fuck you 2020.

I absolutely agree with that statement!

Incredibly 2020 will be the first year for 50 (yes fifty!) years that I will not have attended a gig or a festival. As a young teenager It all started with T Rex!  So yes, get to fuck 2020! 

On 12/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, JHad said:

I feel very fortunate to have seen 98 live acts so far in 2020. Like a few other posters, I was at Rockaway Beach in January and attended a couple of days of the 6 Music Festival in March (my last proper gigs), just prior to the ongoing shit-show. I also attended gigs like a mad man in January and February and have managed to catch a few socially distanced shows, although I'm not sold on the concept.

Going to try to go with a top 10 in order, but this would probably be different every time I thought about it:

1. Porridge Radio @ The Lexington
  2. Black Country, New Road @ Village Underground (although CLF Art Cafe gig also similar level)
  3. Sinead O'Brien @ The Lexington
  4. Anna Meredith @ 6 Music Festival (Roundhouse)
  5. Scottibrains @ The Shacklewell Arms (having a chat with Dan Carey in the toilet queue is worth an extra couple of spots!)
  6. Damien Jurado @ Emmanuel Centre
  7. Max Richter @ The Barbican
  8. The Jesus & Mary Chain @ Rockaway Beach
  9. Fontaines D.C. @ Rockaway Beach
  10. Damo Suzuki @ The Lexington

Honourable mention to Bull for the best Socially Distanced gig, in the garden of The Victoria. The only time it's not felt weird.

Top effort on the quantity :)

Just Menzingers/Spanish Love Songs pre-lockdown and a socially distanced Sergeant Thunderhoof gig for me this year, definitely the lowest in the last 30-35 years.Both awesome gigs though.

Whats worse is the fact that due to work commitments and the fact that I had loads of gigs/trips/festivals lined up between April and August, I decided to have a quieter Jan/Feb/March this year. If only I’d known,agh.

The crazy part is that I got a voucher for Ticketmaster for Xmas last year and was going to use it for either Turnstile or The Interrupters but decided against it due to above reasons.Bought a Walter Trout ticket with the voucher instead and that has now been rescheduled to Jan 2022, almost two years from the other gigs I looked at.

I’ll be watching Walter Trout in 2022 thinking ‘Merry Xmas 2019, thanks Aunty’

1. Glitterbox @ Printworks, London

2. Richard Ashcroft @ Tramsheds, Cardiff

3. Slipknot @ Utilita Arena, Birmingham

4. The Libertines @ Unity Arena, Newcastle

5. PENGSHUi @ The Junction, Plymouth

6. That's it

7. No more

8. Yep. Just your five

9. My best event was a club night

10. At least I saved money

• Upvote 1

It is a worrying year when the best gig I went to was The Lighthouse Family @ Cliffs Pavilion in Southend. In my defence it was the only gig I got to all year. Had tickets to see so many amazing bands and this was the only one that actually happened. 😢

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

10. At least I saved money

2 hours ago, Bennykill said:

It is a worrying year when the best gig I went to was The Lighthouse Family @ Cliffs Pavilion in Southend. In my defence it was the only gig I got to all year. Had tickets to see so many amazing bands and this was the only one that actually happened. 😢

2020 in two posts.

• Upvote 2

I can't match @JHad, but I went to enough gigs in January-March to come up with a top 10. Went to two socially distanced ones as well, in between lockdowns, but the vibe definitely wasn't the same.

1. David Keenan, Olympia, Dublin (13 Jan)

2. Ryan Bingham, Liberty Hall, Dublin (19 Jan)

3. Frank Turner solo, Barbican, York (8 Mar)

4. Lankum, Vicar Street, Dublin (4 Jan)

5. Hothouse Flowers, Olympia, Dublin (22 Jan)

6. Sharon Shannon & Alan Connor, Dundrum Mill Theatre, Dublin (17 Jan)

7. Tim Edey, Pepper Cannister Church, Dublin (26 Jan)

8. Saxon, Doornroosje, Nijmegen, Netherlands (5 Mar)

9. Ímar, Whelans, Dublin (25 Feb)

10. Anxo Lorenzo, Jim Murray, Dónal O'Connor, Jack Talty, Sugar Club, Dublin (14 Jan)

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Just picked up on this one. That must have been immense!

Yeah it was a great night. All three bands were fucking quality, I love it when the support bands are bands I'd pay to see anyway.  Plus Kentish Town Forum does two pints in one cup so I spent more time drinking than queuing.