Return of gigs and concerts

A-Rob

What do you think is the realistic timeline for a return of gigs in Europe/UK?

Personally I think around April, small indoor gigs will be allowed and then in May/June larger gigs and festivals will return as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have tickets to 3 concerts in June starring US acts but I don't feel comfortable they'll go ahead.

Its a deflating thing - I've missed gigs and shows this year, even if I only had tickets to 1 show when everything fell apart in March. I'm just not entirely sure that big stadium shows will be up and running in the summer. Depends how quickly the vaccination drive can go ahead I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, charlierc said:

How confident are we feeling now?

Seems like when there is some hope, another thing crops up (in this case the new variant). This has been the story of this pandemic. 

But I'm still hopeful that there will some outdoor gigs/festivals this upcoming summer. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Sandy one said:

I'm really hoping gigs and festivals will start again this summer. However it seems like the social distancing rules will still be around until next Winter.

Whitty said measures might have to be re-introduced for next winter.

That implies that he believes that measures will end before next winter. Fingers crossed that's right.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Parliaments events team have cancelled everything until October. You'd think they'd be the people in the know.

You'd think.....but in reality.....!

A big shame if the early festival season is a write off.  Had Slam Dunk plus Rammstein booked.  Also means that a lot of runs are likely to be canned too - had a place at the London Landmarks Half in May. 😞 

Thing for me though it highlights a massive problem. Maybe not to the extent they have gone to but there will be "overheads" for gigs for months and possibly years to come which only the bigger bands can absorb.

If we do get say October and November before restrictions come back in December alot of multi-purpose venues which rely on the busy Christmas period to get through January and February will go tits up in Q1 2022 when the support schemes for businesses have ended. There is going to be a real issue of rungs of the ladder missing for future bands to climb.

7 minutes ago, lost said:

Thing for me though it highlights a massive problem. Maybe not to the extent they have gone to but there will be "overheads" for gigs for months and possibly years to come which only the bigger bands can absorb.

If we do get say October and November before restrictions come back in December alot of multi-purpose venues which rely on the busy Christmas period to get through January and February will go tits up in Q1 2022 when the support schemes for businesses have ended. There is going to be a real issue of rungs of the ladder missing for future bands to climb.

I think Brexit will hit growing bands more than COVID. A young band might have got an opportunity to go abroad/come here and perform at a festival with getting paid enough to cover expenses, but with visas and charges and restrictions it might make the hassle less worth it and the festival and band both go more locally, reducing exposure and growth.