Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

I'll take the "open up by February" prediction with the same levels of confidence as the "100,000 tests per day" in May, the quality of the Turkish PPE, the promise of a relaxation of the rules over Christmas, the "height of absurdity" over the suggestion of a second lockdown (which came weeks later). I could go on.

They need to stop making overly optimistic predictions and focus on the task at hand. It'll be what it'll be. Consistently breaking unrealistic promises is counterproductive to the spirit of the people whose fears they're trying to assuage. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'll take the "open up by February" prediction with the same levels of confidence as the "100,000 tests per day" in May, the quality of the Turkish PPE, the promise of a relaxation of the rules over Christmas, the "height of absurdity" over the suggestion of a second lockdown (which came weeks later). I could go on.

They need to stop making overly optimistic predictions and focus on the task at hand. It'll be what it'll be. Consistently breaking unrealistic promises is counterproductive to the spirit of the people whose fears they're trying to assuage. 

As I wrote elsewhere, there seems to have been a government charm offensive of positivity this weekend. It won't last. Rising covid, NHS bed shortages, new tier 4's and Brexit issues will soon burst their over optimistic bubble.

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

As I wrote elsewhere, there seems to have been a government charm offensive of positivity this weekend. It won't last. Rising covid, NHS bed shortages, new tier 4's and Brexit issues will soon burst their over optimistic bubble.

I appreciate that there are hundreds of thousands, even millions of worried people out there but now is not the time for faux optimism and disingenuous promises. I'm not suggesting that the message should be the polar opposite but as pessimistic as it sounds, facts and realism are what's needed right now. It's highly probable that the vaccine will help us return to a more normal way of life but at present, it's effectiveness is unproven on a large scale and as such, we probably need to see the initial success first before any wild and unrealistic predictions are made. Of course, I hope this latest statement around February is accurate...but I won't be putting my mortgage on it 🤣

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah this completely. It's like they can't help themselves, though. Compulsive or something. I guess that's the problem with a populist government.

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Pretty sure you wouldn’t plant Maize in the winter, the soil needs to be a minimum temp. It’s normally planted March/April. 

Possibly ploughed, in preparation and ready for planting in Spring maybe.

27 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Possibly ploughed, in preparation and ready for planting in Spring maybe.

Ploughed for sure, but I definitely wouldn’t have said planted with anything. I’m not a farmer or anything but I do like gardening and a lot of things you wouldn’t plant in the winter as the soil is far too cold. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

A friend of mine who lives very close to the WV site has told me that The Teepee field has been ploughed and planted with maize.....

edit, he said the Steanbow wanted to be more productive and were frustrated by the uncertainty.

It was last year as went we were staying at Steanbow farm you could see what was left 

On 12/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, Chawk said:

Even the agriculture of a field in Somerset turns out to be fake news. TRUST NO ONE

Even you, which means i shouldn’t trust you when you say trust no-one, meaning i now trust everyone including you who tells me to trust no-one and so forth and so forth... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Hancock seems confident we’ll be out of this “by Spring” and despite everything else he says being utter bollocks I’m choosing to believe him.

IT’S FUCKING HAPPENING!!!!

I'd say the situation looks to be improving enough soon enough for Glasto to take a bit of a punt, and not make an early decision to cancel.

If they can push that decision down the road by a month or two there's at least a half-chance it might happen.

I’m still remaining in the ‘ there won’t be a multi day festival’  rather that there may be a ticketed event at the farm may be larger Pilton party type affair but on the Pyramid field aimed at bringing in some revenue for GFL. 

although I hope my optimism changes over the next month or so 

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot

4 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

I’m still remaining in the ‘ there won’t be a multi day festival’  rather that there may be a ticketed event at the farm may be larger Pilton party type affair but on the Pyramid field aimed at bringing in some revenue for GFL. 

Not a chance mate soz.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say the situation looks to be improving enough soon enough for Glasto to take a bit of a punt, and not make an early decision to cancel.

If they can push that decision down the road by a month or two there's at least a half-chance it might happen.

I can see the vast majority of festivals holding on for as long as possible before any decision is made, I can see final decisions being made April/May time where we'll have a far greater picture of things benefiting from the vaccine 

2 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

I think the majority of festivals will happen next year but as you say the capacity of which they happen will depend on the circumstances at the time. Im certain promoters and organisers are going to move mountains to make them happen after this year, especially when you have the likes of Melvin Benn behind the scenes.

As well as this we've already seen that last summer we managed to get cases down fairly low so next year with vaccines that should be easier