Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

While I get where you are coming from, as one of the ticketless I would rather you lot get the weird one out of the way so I can return in 2022! I really think it will be 2023 before I get there otherwise.

They should do a double header in 2022, back to back Glastonbury's, to allow for many of the ticketless to get there. (I know, licensing would be problematic!)

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This may sound weird, but I think I actually want it to be cancelled 😲

Hear me out. It's just too soon for everything to be sorted. We won't all be vaccinated, there will probably be measures in society at large. In short, it would be fucking weird.

I don't want Glastonbury to be weird, I want it to be glorious. I want to hug strangers and sing at the top of my voice in a packed tent.  

I want proper Glasto, and that's not happening until 2022.

I completely understand your view. But what if there's never a fully 'normal' Glastonbury for many years?

34 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I completely understand your view. But what if there's never a fully 'normal' Glastonbury for many years?

I don't see why that would be the case, assuming vaccinations are effective and rolled out by the end of next year. Glastonbury 2022 will be the first 'proper' Glastonbury regardless of what happens next year.

I'm at the point where even if Glasto 2021 is on, I won't be going. There's too much risk and uncertainty involved in travelling such a distance, and there's little prospect that will change before I'd have to do things like buy flights. At this stage I'm just hoping for a ticket rollover.

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This may sound weird, but I think I actually want it to be cancelled 😲

Hear me out. It's just too soon for everything to be sorted. We won't all be vaccinated, there will probably be measures in society at large. In short, it would be fucking weird.

I don't want Glastonbury to be weird, I want it to be glorious. I want to hug strangers and sing at the top of my voice in a packed tent.  

I want proper Glasto, and that's not happening until 2022.

I'm not quite there yet, but not far off. I'm still clinging by the tips of my finger tips that everything will be fine by June but slowly making my peace with the fact it probably won't. In which case, yes, it should be all or nothing in Glastonbury terms

If it can go ahead it will be the best party in the world, no reason for it to be weird. It doesn’t look like it will go ahead, but if it does then it will be absolutely fine, festivals aren’t going to happen with any sort of restrictions. Worst case scenario maybe a few bigger acts will be missing. I’d take that over waiting another 12 months. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

The world won't go back to hugging strangers (if they were) or even shaking hands that much. People are gonna be careful about what they touch as a hangover of this whole thing.

I agree with the gentleman @Deaf Nobby Burton that there's no chance of a 'weird' Glastonbury with warnings against singing and with social distancing. If it happens in 2021 it won't be weird - or it won't be any weirder than returning to normal will be when we do.

• Upvote 1

I'd happily sacrifice Glastonbury 2021 for us to get gigs back and the like. We've lost so much this year I'd rather it build back up in a stable fashion that will stick and top it all off with a huge party in 2022 than have a glastonbury with tests and the potential to super spread (both from glastonbury and events similar) slowing everything down.

I know not everyone will agree but there's an element of luck getting to glastonbury and I feel that when I'm there whereas ticking off 3 gigs a week september - december feels like my right and I save up for tickets and live in the city centre to manage that, if I'm being honest I missed gig season more than I did glastonbury. The only band I've seen since march is my own rehearse - and we're fucking shite.

It’s pretty binary though, if Glastonbury can go ahead it will go ahead as normal. It wouldn’t bother me to be tested either, I don’t think it will happen, but I’d we had to be so be it.

If you think of all the pubs in the country that open 7 days a week 365 days a year, if it’s safe for things to open without restrictions, Glastonbury will be no more or less a ‘super spreader’ than your local pub, considering it’s on for 5 days and mostly outside.

There isn’t going to be some half cocked Glastonbury, if it goes ahead it will be absolutely fine and it will be brilliant.

Sadly that’s why it probably won’t happen; but if by some miracle it does it will be an entirely normal Glastonbury.

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

While I get where you are coming from, as one of the ticketless I would rather you lot get the weird one out of the way so I can return in 2022! I really think it will be 2023 before I get there otherwise.

I had exactly that same thought! Every time I see the "rollover" pleas, or "have my deposit twice over but give me a ticket", I see it as yet another year gone. If it doesn't happen next year then it's edging on being fairer to refund and re-do the sale.

But, I'm still 100% on it being on - providing they can delay a decision to March and mitigate their loses until May.

2 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I had exactly that same thought! Every time I see the "rollover" pleas, or "have my deposit twice over but give me a ticket", I see it as yet another year gone. If it doesn't happen next year then it's edging on being fairer to refund and re-do the sale.

But, I'm still 100% on it being on - providing they can delay a decision to March and mitigate their loses until May.

Get the sentiment but don’t agree, there would be nothing fair about taking tickets away from people that already have them. People who don’t have a ticket won’t ever be in a worse position relative to those that do, regardless of how many times it’s postponed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Shocked at how many other people agreed with me.  Pretty shocked I was wanting it not to be on next year TBH.

Agree with you as it’s not just the festival but also the build up. Remember when it was just the weather we worried about? I long for those days

i don't think it's really a possibility to go ahead next year based on vaccine roll out. It's taking a long time and even if it was on schedule my vulnerability group (number 6) won't be done until April/May. There's 4 categories below me. For glastonbury to function I think we'd need months of pubs being open without any more outbreaks leading to tiering systems

I've been in camp 2021 will happen for a while but the more I look at it the less I think it will

1 minute ago, a6l6e6x said:

i don't think it's really a possibility to go ahead next year based on vaccine roll out. It's taking a long time and even if it was on schedule my vulnerability group (number 6) won't be done until April/May. There's 4 categories below me. For glastonbury to function I think we'd need months of pubs being open without any more outbreaks leading to tiering systems

I've been in camp 2021 will happen for a while but the more I look at it the less I think it will

Has it slipped then ? I was late feb /early March for group 6 ... hopefully it goes the other direction too once we get Oxford 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Has it slipped then ? I was late feb /early March for group 6 ... hopefully it goes the other direction too once we get Oxford 

After todays advanced and upscaled covid news there is no chance of this. We are going to go into February at this rate with the majority of the country in at least tier 3.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

After todays advanced and upscaled covid news there is no chance of this. We are going to go into February at this rate with the majority of the country in at least tier 3.

and that doesnt slow the vaccine rollout one its own ..... the availability of NHS nurses and doctors might  however 

7 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

They should do a double header in 2022, back to back Glastonbury's, to allow for many of the ticketless to get there. (I know, licensing would be problematic!)

You know that whoever goes the second go round is gonna have a terrible weekend? And do you know how disgusting the fields will be? What if it rained like mad the first fest and its just a giant mud pit? I dont think everyones going to like setting up camp in that. I mean its problematic enough if it was pouring rain on the wednesday when arrivals begin, but adding a tore up site is another thing.