Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

20 minutes ago, ivan said:

As mentioned previously - ditch the big hitters that cost a fortune and put Idles or Fontaines DC as a headliner.

You have other acts such as Roisin Murphy that i am sure could step up  - i love her new album !

I wonder what a British and Irish act only Glastonbury would look like? It could actually be an incredible boost to the beleaguered UK music industry and provide some amazing opportunities for acts that would not normally have got the call. Would make a decent thread, actually. Curate your own theoretical Glastonbury lineup using British and Irish-based acts only. I reckon it would be sweet, even if there are slight Brexity overtones to it 😄

• Upvote 4

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I wonder what a British and Irish act only Glastonbury would look like? It could actually be an incredible boost to the beleaguered UK music industry and provide some amazing opportunities for acts that would not normally have got the call. Would make a decent thread, actually. Curate your own theoretical Glastonbury lineup using British and Irish-based acts only. I reckon it would be sweet, even if there are slight Brexity overtones to it 😄

can we go Somerset bands only then ? 🙂 

5 hours ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I'm wary of posting this but for what it's worth... I have a colleague who is always able to go to Glastonbury without going through the ticket sale, and who gets to watch Chemical Brothers from the side of the stage when they play in Manchester. 

He's always been coy about the exact relationship that gets him these privileges but I assume he must be friends going back some way with Nick and/or Chemical Brothers. 

He said to me on a call this morning that he has it 'on good authority' that Glastonbury are 'looking at September'. It sounded like recent news i.e. not dating back to the previous rumours.

I would be amazed if they haven't had the conversation with relevant people to explore if it would be possible. 

But "looking at" if something could happen is miles away from it being possible.

But also fwiw weather in September isn't all that bad, I did a deep dive on it back in August.

This may sound weird, but I think I actually want it to be cancelled 😲

Hear me out. It's just too soon for everything to be sorted. We won't all be vaccinated, there will probably be measures in society at large. In short, it would be fucking weird.

I don't want Glastonbury to be weird, I want it to be glorious. I want to hug strangers and sing at the top of my voice in a packed tent.  

I want proper Glasto, and that's not happening until 2022.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hear me out. It's just too soon for everything to be sorted. We won't all be vaccinated, there will probably be measures in society at large. In short, it would be fucking weird.

I don't want Glastonbury to be weird, I want it to be glorious. I want to hug strangers and sing at the top of my voice in a packed tent.  

Exactly my thoughts. I don’t want a fucking Brexit Glastonbury of just British/Irish acts. I don’t want social distancing, or entry by on-site testing. And I certainly don’t want it in September. So if we have to wait until 2022 so be it, however painful the wait is. I want the next one to be something special - as you say, glorious!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

Exactly my thoughts. I don’t want a fucking Brexit Glastonbury of just British/Irish acts. I don’t want social distancing, or entry by on-site testing. And I certainly don’t want it in September. So if we have to wait until 2022 so be it, however painful the wait is. I want the next one to be something special - as you say, glorious!

You think you may not be able to instagram yourself @ Taylor Swift on a hot summers evening ( having spent hours preparing the shot ) and you throw your  teddy out 😆

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

While I get where you are coming from, as one of the ticketless I would rather you lot get the weird one out of the way so I can return in 2022! I really think it will be 2023 before I get there otherwise.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I suppose they could have some one day events with bands just playing the pyramid stage, would bring some cash for 2021.

To be clear, I mean this instead of the festival 

Can definitely see this happening and hope it does to help them raise a bit of cash (could add live streaming tickets too).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think this is where I am right now as well... I also don’t want the team to put themselves under unnecessary pressure (although the financial aspect of cancelling two years running  might add to that?).

The timelines just seem too risky right now but a lot can change very quickly.

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is the correct opinion tbh