Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

To be honest I'd be less hopeful if we are not in a national lockdown. The virus is spreading at a terrifying rate (where I live its 714 per 100,000) and this will soo be the case in other parts of the country. The tier system is not working so I think we need to lock down in a way that was similar to the harsh lockdown in March.

That way we can curb the spread and focus solely on the vaccination rollout which I think would give the summer a fighting chance.

I have just found out my neighbour has been hospitalised with it .  And no  I do not think he would have been put  in ICU where it not for Covid

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If festivals are the last thing to go ahead because of government concerns about long term health, that means everything else is largely back to normal. Individuals would have the choice to avoid festivals, and the risk of festivals happening to the wider population would be absolutely tiny against the backdrop of everyone pretty much living their normal lives anyway, so it would make little sense for them not to be happening.

But Melvyn Benn has said its not his job to get the kids to socially distance.  For football matches , arena's you can have all the protocols in place as best you can - staggering arrival times leaving, lots of empty seats .

Unfortunately at a festival the attendees will have the best intentions but i feel it would so go out of the window once the bars had opened.

3 minutes ago, ivan said:

But Melvyn Benn has said its not his job to get the kids to socially distance.  For football matches , arena's you can have all the protocols in place as best you can - staggering arrival times leaving, lots of empty seats .

Unfortunately at a festival the attendees will have the best intentions but i feel it would so go out of the window once the bars had opened.

But the point is it’s not viable for people to have to social distance at a festival. If social distancing is still a thing in the summer then festivals won’t be happening. The question is will the government still want restrictions if once enough people are vaccinated the death rate falls dramatically and is on a par with flu?

The point is we don’t know yet. Their only real metric might be deaths, or they might still have concerns around long term health implications and therefore insist on restrictions until we’re all vaccinated.

My guess is that it will just be deaths and that restrictions will be lifted once the death rate falls to a different level. At that point we won’t have social distancing at all, so it would make no sense for festivals not to go ahead if you can go into a packed pub and mix with people all evening. 

I'm wary of posting this but for what it's worth... I have a colleague who is always able to go to Glastonbury without going through the ticket sale, and who gets to watch Chemical Brothers from the side of the stage when they play in Manchester. 

He's always been coy about the exact relationship that gets him these privileges but I assume he must be friends going back some way with Nick and/or Chemical Brothers. 

He said to me on a call this morning that he has it 'on good authority' that Glastonbury are 'looking at September'. It sounded like recent news i.e. not dating back to the previous rumours.

4 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I'm wary of posting this but for what it's worth... I have a colleague who is always able to go to Glastonbury without going through the ticket sale, and who gets to watch Chemical Brothers from the side of the stage when they play in Manchester. 

He's always been coy about the exact relationship that gets him these privileges but I assume he must be friends going back some way with Nick and/or Chemical Brothers. 

He said to me on a call this morning that he has it 'on good authority' that Glastonbury are 'looking at September'. It sounded like recent news i.e. not dating back to the previous rumours.

Whilst I can’t see it, when do people think it would be in September if so?

I’m guessing realistically it’s got to be about the first weekend as the weather drops off quite a lot after the middle of the month...

5 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

probably was worth posting but I imagine its quite easy for anyone to end up with false info, especially a connection that far from anyone making a decision.

I've been pretty confident of it going ahead up until the last week now I'm not sure how I can regain hope back. I definitely don't think it'll move though.

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

Whilst I can’t see it, when do people think it would be in September if so?

I’m guessing realistically it’s got to be about the first weekend as the weather drops off quite a lot after the middle of the month...

Second weekend aka Bestival weekend. Maybe even at a stretch the 3rd weekend.

There'll be far too much infrastructure tied up at Reading, Leeds, and many other places over the August bank holiday weekend to be able to open the gates at Glastonbury two days later.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

The festival itself will take place when everything is far, far better and will be a wrench to see others go ahead that didn't need to make the call so early.

It’s self protection at this point. I won’t consider it a wrench knowing that Glastonbury protected itself so future years can proceed without financial worry. I think that’s what it’ll come down to - risk vs ambition. Risk will win, because Glastonbury is ultimately a business, concerned more about its longevity more than it is a single year of operation. 

Edited by kalifire

BioNTech Press Briefing this morning

Uğur Şahin, the CEO of BioNTech, the German biotechnology company behind the first Covid 19 vaccine, was asked at a press briefing when he believed the world might be able to return to normal, following the roll out of vaccine programmes.

Şahin said:

We need a new definition of ‘normal’. The virus will stay with us for the next 10 years. We need to get used to the fact there’ll be more outbreaks.

However, a ‘new normal’ would mean not having to go into lockdown, businesses not having to close, and hospitalisations not being as commonplace. “That can happen by the end of the summer,” he said.

He said the vaccine would not change lives quickly. He said:

This winter we will not have an impact on the infection numbers. But we must have an impact so that next winter can be the new normal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s self protection at this point. I won’t consider it a wrench knowing that Glastonbury protected itself so future years can proceed without financial worry. I think that’s what it’ll come down to - risk vs ambition. Risk will win, because Glastonbury is ultimately a business, concerned more about its longevity more than it is a single year of operation. 

Every year a friend of mine stops at a country hotel for a few days before Xmas belonging to the Duke of Devonshire.

When discussing how bad it must be for the hotel industry  my mate replied

"I think the hotel has been going since 1710 so i am sure they can cope with one bad year "

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

This. If other festivals are still happening next year then at least the summer won't be a complete write off. Another year without Glastonbury is fine if we know it will survive and return

1 hour ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Would love this, but didn’t Emily explicitly come out and say this wasn’t happening?

22 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Would love this, but didn’t Emily explicitly come out and say this wasn’t happening?

She said in August "For those who have been asking, we have no plans to move next year’s Glastonbury to September 2021 – we're still very much aiming for June," 

But as @crazyfool1 says a lot has changed since then. It could be chinese whispers or dodgy info that they would be looking at this now but it did sound like new info from someone I have reason to believe is well connected and who doesn't normally get involved with speculation.

4 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

She said in August "For those who have been asking, we have no plans to move next year’s Glastonbury to September 2021 – we're still very much aiming for June," 

But as @crazyfool1 says a lot has changed since then. It could be chinese whispers or dodgy info that they would be looking at this now but it did sound like new info from someone I have reason to believe is well connected and who doesn't normally get involved with speculation.

If it was August then I suppose things definitely could have changed given how different the situation is now compared to back then.

I’d personally love a September festival, it’d probably mean it’d be a lot less restricted than if it does go ahead in June. Only downside to my personal experience is, as a teacher, it’d be at the start of the school year rather than the end - which means it wouldn’t be the blow out I was expecting it to be. Although I think it’s still preferable.

56 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Looking at the quotes, she says that they are ‘very much still looking at June’ and ‘have no plans to move to September’.

To be fair, that’s a long way from explicitly coming and and saying that it won’t happen.

Edited by rivalschools.price

35 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

That would only work if all the acts lined up for Glastonbury (Diana, Aerosmith, Kendrick, whoever) completely rescheduled their touring plans to accommodate. And, of course, all the other festivals who are also using these acts, would probably also have to reschedule. 

46 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I think what is more likely is some smaller festivals under the Glastonbury name to keep an income coming in ...

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

That would only work if all the acts lined up for Glastonbury (Diana, Aerosmith, Kendrick, whoever) completely rescheduled their touring plans to accommodate. And, of course, all the other festivals who are also using these acts, would probably also have to reschedule. 

As mentioned previously - ditch the big hitters that cost a fortune and put Idles or Fontaines DC as a headliner.

You have other acts such as Roisin Murphy that i am sure could step up  - i love her new album !

In fairness, Emily's statements regarding moving to September and yesterday's saying that the festival hadn't been cancelled yet are equally carefully and deliberately worded.

No doubt GFL are exploring as many options as possible (whilst monitoring the ever changing state of play) in order to continue with an event at some point this year or worst case, cancel but with as minimal financial impact as possible. For that reason, it's probably why we won't see anything definitive for another 3 or 4 weeks yet. 

FWIW I don’t think the festival will move to September, but people take the things that Michael and Emily say far too literally.

They have to consistently deny things that will actually happen year in year out.

To me saying they have no plans to move the festival is as good saying it could move. They didn’t say it definitely won’t be moved, just that there are no plans to move it, which means at any given point they could actually suddenly have plans to move it.

Their plan at the moment is to have it in June, so why would they be planning to have it in September? But if they can’t have it in June what about their statement means they can’t suddenly have plans to move it?

If they are going to move it to September they will need to make sure it’s viable to do so and that will take time, so they’ll hardly flag it as a possibility until they know it is. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton