Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

The best part about the Macca interview is that it’s giving our concerns a wider audience. People will know that our actions over the next couple of months are going to directly affect next summers plans whether they be festivals, holidays or just sitting in a beer garden with your mates. 

Cancel Christmas & NY 2020 to save summer 2021. 

2 minutes ago, Boris said:

Oh bollocks. Ok so I don't yet have a ticket for the next festival but I would always of course want it to happen regardless. Bums and pants. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Primavera festival- which is of course totally different- think they can do it. https://www.nme.com/news/music/primavera-sound-hold-successful-trial-for-live-music-events-without-social-distancing-2841244

Primavera Sound promotes lots of small indoor gigs. They don't just do the big festival.

That trial is about making the former viable as it has none of the scientific conditions of the latter.

Edited by xxialac

40 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The Macca bit on Glastonbury is at 17:10 into this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p091qvf8

That noise of what sounded like him putting the phone down(?) was quiet jarring. At best, he's not optimistic.

I do think he miss-spoke at the start, however, regarding the festival being off already unless something has changed since Emily's interview - which I doubt. I also trust she wasn't withholding anything of that signficance in her own BBC interview.

As far as the festival going ahead is concerned, it has been a bad couple of weeks.

Tbf, that was just his opinion..But certainly a more informed one that any of ours. 

I still think there is a chance, albeit very slim now..thoroughly depressed today

It's going to be brutal in June when we are close to some semblance of normality yet Gladotnbury is not on. 

I'm definitely going abroad to a festival in the summer if this is not on, there is no way the full season will not happen again. That would be utterly catastrophic for the industry 

1 minute ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Tbf, that was just his opinion..But certainly a more informed one that any of ours. 

I still think there is a chance, albeit very slim now..thoroughly depressed today

It's going to be brutal in June when we are close to some semblance of normality yet Gladotnbury is not on. 

I'm definitely going abroad to a festival in the summer if this is not on, there is no way the full season will not happen again. That would be utterly catastrophic for the industry 

Aye I think we could be heading to a situation where a fair chunk of events and festivals go ahead, but the prep time for Glastonbury proves to be too big a hurdle. 

It’ll be a shame if other events happen and not Glastonbury, but to be honest while I still remain hopeful I’m completely at terms with it not happening. It’s all so hypothetical at the minute it doesn’t even feel like a real event anymore. Hopeful yes but if it is cancelled I’ll be pretty numb to it. I feel really confident we’ll be going to concerts in the summer either way, so just have to make the most of those.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

The Macca bit on Glastonbury is at 17:10 into this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p091qvf8

Transcription (as who's doing any work today?):

P Mac: Well I mean I think they've cancelled Glastonbury for '21 haven't they

Interviewer: Mmm yeah I'm not sure if that's official but it's not looking likely is it

P: Mmm, I, no, that's what I mean, I mean this is the problem you know is that the thing we do is we get hundred thousand people closely packed together with flags and no masks, you know, talk about superspreader so you know that's gonna be difficult, for people to do that

I: So that Glastonbury date is one that's not in your diary then for '21, obviously

P: Well, I'd love it to be, but I have a feeling it's not going to be

Definitely some backtracking, question is whether he actually knows of a decision having been made, or did he simply get it wrong at the start.

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

P: Mmm, I, no, that's what I mean, I mean this is the problem you know is that the thing we do is we get hundred thousand people closely packed together with flags and no masks, you know, talk about superspreader so you know that's gonna be difficult, for people to do that

Are flags now a superspreading vector?

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I agree with this. In the event of a full cancellation, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Arcadia and Shangri-La did something in their usual spots at different times of the year. And maybe an increased capacity Pilton Party?

It’s not like they would have issues attracting acts ... testing at the event would be far easier ... as has been proven with some smaller test events ... I think they might even be able to do some smaller capacity 3 day events ....  tickets roll over for the big one ... chance of a party still ... it’s not G ... but we can be thankful that the opportunity is available to us . 

28 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Transcription (as who's doing any work today?):

P Mac: Well I mean I think they've cancelled Glastonbury for '21 haven't they

Interviewer: Mmm yeah I'm not sure if that's official but it's not looking likely is it

I: So that Glastonbury date is one that's not in your diary then for '21, obviously

P: Well, I'd love it to be, but I have a feeling it's not going to be

Definitely some backtracking, question is whether he actually knows of a decision having been made, or did he simply get it wrong at the start.

Don't use the word 'superspreader' when talking about festivals McCartney FFS!

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

On the upside....if 2021 gets canned then as I'm planning to take early retirement on Tuesday 21st June 2022 imagine what a party G2022 will be! 

😜🤪

They can’t cancel my birthday party at the efest meet though 😞 actually I need a ticket to my own party first 🙂 

Edited by crazyfool1