Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At this stage, while it's looking unlikely to a lot of people that Glastonbury will be going ahead, let's just remember that even if it doesn't, by the time we get to late June the situation in the co

Inevitable I suppose    

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Of course they’re not comparable, but bearing in mind football is the national sport, it’s waaaayy more popular than festivals across the population, a number of games are at Wembley and football is massively devalued without fans there will be pressure on the government to make them happen with crowds, way more pressure than they’ll feel or care about from festivals.

So if the government make the Euros having crowds a point to work towards, that  might make events like festivals a little bit more possible or likely by association.

Unlikely, but not beyond the realms of possibility. 

I actually think this is a great point and very undervalued.

Much of the government's problems is about optics.

And if football goes ahead with full stadiums as I expect then there is no longer the worry about a backlash on festivals as such events have become 'normalised'.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

will be pressure on the government to make them happen with crowds

personally I think the pressure will come from within govt.

There's no better advert for 'the UK back to normal' than events being beamed around the world - and I think that's in Glastonbury's favour too.

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I actually think this is a great point and very undervalued.

Much of the government's problems is about optics.

And if football goes ahead with full stadiums as I expect then there is no longer the worry about a backlash on festivals as such events have become 'normalised'.

In terms of the festival running this dysfunctional and split Tory party might help. If the daily death rate falls the government doesn’t have the votes in its own party to keep business closed

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Short of a miracle this ain't happnin' in June peeps.

I remain confident the situation will be good enough by June for it to happen.

I'm less confident that it will happen, tho, because it doesn't sound like Glastonbury will be prepared to make that gamble.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I remain confident the situation will be good enough by June for it to happen.

I'm less confident that it will happen, tho, because it doesn't sound like Glastonbury will be prepared to make that gamble.

Stadia are limited to an arbitrary 2k at the moment and even that is a huge leap/subject to backsliding. Whats possible isnt in question here at all.

Emily and Mick are doing their most fervent supporters a dirty by dragging this out imo, similar to last year. I realise Michael's stoicism and determination is in play here and respect that - but why drag out the inevitable.

Emily and Mick are doing their most fervent supporters a dirty by dragging this out imo, similar to last year. I realise Michael's stoicism and determination is in play here and respect that - but why drag out the inevitable.

because it's not over until it's over. And right now it's not over. The longer threy're able to hold out the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, covid is rampant at the moment, but this is flu season when everyone expected it would be. Things will look very different to now by June - perhaps not enough for Glastonbury, but it's definitely not impossible.

Edited by eFestivals
3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Stadia are limited to an arbitrary 2k at the moment and even that is a huge leap/subject to backsliding. Whats possible isnt in question here at all.

Why would they call it now when they don’t need to, yet, and the Government could very likely give them some clarity in Jan/Feb?

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Because you would have a drive to reduce people's contacts to minimize risk. Obviously systems would be need to be in place for people to meet new people, join new social groups, and yes, date. (Ironically the sort of system you would want already exists in Tinder/Bumble etc).

Again I don't think any of this would actually be necessary for COVID - it's just a thought experiment that if a pandemic with a much higher death rate came along that was entirely vaccine resistant, how we could/would react. 

I hear there are lots of great social groups for the over 50s ...

EDIT: Shitty joke about spam fyi

Edited by zero000
1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

because it's not over until it's over. And right now it's not over. The longer threy're able to hold out the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, covid is rampant at the moment, but this is flu season when everyone expected it would be. Things will look very different to now by June - perhaps not enough for Glastonbury, but it's definitely not impossible.

Yep. Think a healthy dose of reality is needed however. The results of the vote on this thread would be laughed at by the forum regulars of years past Neil. You know this.

"Definitely not impossible" is a skilled semantic contortion of "...highly unlikely."

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

"Definitely not impossible" is a skilled semantic contortion of "...highly unlikely."

there's two factors in the mix.

There's the planning time that Glastonbury need, and there's what the situation will be in June.

There's lots of good reasons to think the situation will be good enough for a festival in June, but fewer reasons to think Glastonbury will push ahead on a maybe.

There's also things which can be changed so that Glastonbury feel more confident to push ahead on a maybe. We've probably got 8 to 10 weeks for that to happen.

I do not think there is a need to make a call on Festival yet. Judging by comments in article and people’s knowledge on here the key date would appear to be End of Jan - mid feb, when large spend would have to begin.  Depressingly it is likely that this will be too soon for Eavi to take decision to move ahead without insurance cover of some sort.

Although a big blow, as others have said the long term future is more important.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's two factors in the mix.

There's the planning time that Glastonbury need, and there's what the situation will be in June.

There's lots of good reasons to think the situation will be good enough for a festival in June, but fewer reasons to think Glastonbury will push ahead on a maybe.

There's also things which can be changed so that Glastonbury feel more confident to push ahead on a maybe. We've probably got 8 to 10 weeks for that to happen.

Sustained decrease in cases, deaths, hospitialisations and risk areas, attributable to the vaccine plus a loosening of restrictions downstream of Glasters (mass attendance at sport / arena gigs?) coupled with no verifiable spike post loosening.

Autumn '21 at the earliest on the above is my c.unt in a punt opinion here.

Edited by Wooderson

They’re obviously in the media a lot the last few days for a reason. It’s by no means too late at this stage, they’re deliberately starting to put pressure on the Government now so there is plenty of time for them to give them a clear way forward, or not. They’re not saying x,y,z in the media by accident, and they’re not saying it now at the point they need to act, they’re saying it now a couple of months ahead of when they need the government to act. If they still haven’t a couple of months from now, then yes, it will be too late. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sounds like all of this years headliners are not in the bag if it does go ahead. Taylor especially.

My current guess is there will be a glorified Pilton Party that can be streamed online, don't think the logistics will be easy or it being particularly a money spinner unless loads buy a pass just to support the festival.

7 minutes ago, august1 said:

Sounds like all of this years headliners are not in the bag if it does go ahead. Taylor especially.

My current guess is there will be a glorified Pilton Party that can be streamed online, don't think the logistics will be easy or it being particularly a money spinner unless loads buy a pass just to support the festival.

or several events ..... 

1 hour ago, swede said:

I've already accepted that I may not see a festival field next summer, happy if I get back to normal nights out and house parties tbh, anything else is a bonus 

I personally think clubs and festivals will open at the same time really - its a ton of people mixing and just isn't possible without a good amount of people vaccinated. If anything because of how cramped a club is, a 1k club may be more risky than a 5-10k day festival (especially one where people aren't super packed in and just sitting on camping chairs).

I think the BBC article is just them being cautious - they don't want to give false hope especially after cancelling a week after the announcement this year.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

or several events ..... 

Filmed over time between when the decision is finally made and June. No way would they have live gigs streamed from Worthy Farm without the necessary fencing in place. Too many idiots could crash the site. 

1 hour ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Totally split between thinking the BBC article is a huge setback, or just calming expectations to say it's not a done deal yet despite the vaccine, everything is crossed for the latter! 

That’s how I feel at the moment. Maybe trying to concentrate the minds of the government and the working party on the crucial issue of insurance . We also have to consider the loss of income for the traders, builders, free lance employees  and smaller acts who rely on summer festivals. That would be two years in a row, many without access to the furlough payments.  It’s obvious we will get a concrete decision early in the new year. My fingers are still crossed. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Filmed over time between when the decision is finally made and June. No way would they have live gigs streamed from Worthy Farm without the necessary fencing in place. Too many idiots could crash the site. 

was thinking about events that might be able to mitigate the financial losses should Glastonbury not be able to happen ... later in the summer ....