Jump to content

Will the 2021 festival go ahead?


Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

  1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

    • Yes - I 100% believe
      43
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
      158
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
      87
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
      79
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.
      67


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At this stage, while it's looking unlikely to a lot of people that Glastonbury will be going ahead, let's just remember that even if it doesn't, by the time we get to late June the situation in the co

Inevitable I suppose    

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Sporting crowds can easily be size limited or have no fans at all; just like now. Festivals & gigs without near capacity attendance are not viable.

Exactly this. I don’t have a doubt in my mind the euros will go ahead. They can get their crowd by 50% and ask everyone to social distance no bother.

Festivals need people packed together sharing drinks being unhygienic. 
 

I know we’ve had some interesting news but I’m still firmly in the pessimistic camp. 200,000 people packed like sardines with limited access to hygiene in 150 days just seems too much of a stretch. Especially when the festival needs certainty way ahead of then to go ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly this. I don’t have a doubt in my mind the euros will go ahead. They can get their crowd by 50% and ask everyone to social distance no bother.

No they can't. A crowd with every other person not there would be about 2ft of social distancing. Can't see them being able to get fans to stop singing or shouting, or to wait an hour to be asked to safely leave after the match. Can't even ask some fans to refrain from being racist.

18 minutes ago, Lycra said:

According to espn UEFA will take a decision on the summer Euro's in March. It reports full stadiums almost certainly ruled out. Options are 70% or 30% crowd limits in current host cities or of needed behind closed doors in 1 country.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-european-championship/story/4282074/clock-ticking-for-euro-2020-how-can-the-tournament-survive-the-covid-19-crisis?platform=amp

Shrug. It's within the interests of UEFA and the respective governments to try and do this thing with as many people as possible. May not be safe but the world is obviously not going to wait until everyone is vaccinated for a resumption of business as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Maybe it’s time for a new poll, should I create one?

I agree with @zahidf ... wait untill the end of the month ... we have the rolling vote going for now so we can see how things are heading 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I agree with @zahidf ... wait untill the end of the month ... we have the rolling vote going for now so we can see how things are heading 

Yeah that’s cool, good plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

Hey Guys,

I'm not super up to date with this thread so forgive me if this has been asked, but is there a possibility they could delay Glasto till August or even September time. would/could they make it work logistically especially if rules are relaxed more and more during summer?

Already discussed and it seems very very unlikely. Mixture of many reasons but a festival of this size cannot just move like that. Its June 2021 or June 2022.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Yes, I need to start screaming by blind optimism at an online poll right NOW!

I’ll wait a couple of weeks then create a new one, hopefully you’ll still be feeling that optimism by then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Just realised I'll be at Duran Duran during the Euros final. Reckon the lads will show the match during their set? (if England are in it)

They would if Rio was still playing. 

I'll get my coat. 

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a date with my sister and her children for a Football BBQ on the 18th June.  In Brighton. With our mum. We haven't seen each other since 1st Jan 2020.  Much as I love Glastonbury, that's what I'm holding out for.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I have a date with my sister and her children for a Football BBQ on the 18th June.  In Brighton. With our mum. We haven't seen each other since 1st Jan 2020.  Much as I love Glastonbury, that's what I'm holding out for.

I think it’s very likely that will be possible! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Very interesting article and it's good to see people working on solutions. Taken at face value the report shows promise but also highlights potential issues. The biggest being it taking a morning to process 1000 tests. Hopefully when it comes to events if scale this could be solved logistically. The report was also a tad confusing as it stated there was no social distancing:  463 people attended in a theatre of 1608 capacity and they screened 1047. Can only assume number of staff & performers exceed attendees. Whilst good to see the efforts I personally believe controlling (& hopefully defeating covid) by vaccination is our best hope for the return of mass attendance events.

Edited by Lycra
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Very interesting article and it good to see people working on solutions. Taken at face value the report shows promise but also highlights potential issues. The biggest being it taking a morning to process 1000 tests. Hopefully when it comes to events if scale this could be solved logistically. The report was also a tad confusing as it stated there was no social distancing:  463 people attended in a theatre of 1608 capacity and they screened 1047. Can only assume number of staff & performers exceed attendees. 

I think there was a control group of people tested that didn’t actually go to the even. Half the participants didn’t get to see the gig! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think there was a control group of people tested that didn’t actually go to the even. Half the participants didn’t get to see the gig! 

Yes that would make sense. It would be good to see the full report rather than just the outline journalistic spin. For instance proper scientific study would require 2 control groups: viz 1 screened but not attending & 1 not tested at all. Plus follow up testing for all groups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Very interesting article and it's good to see people working on solutions. Taken at face value the report shows promise but also highlights potential issues. The biggest being it taking a morning to process 1000 tests. Hopefully when it comes to events if scale this could be solved logistically. The report was also a tad confusing as it stated there was no social distancing:  463 people attended in a theatre of 1608 capacity and they screened 1047. Can only assume number of staff & performers exceed attendees. Whilst good to see the efforts I personally believe controlling (& hopefully defeating covid) by vaccination is our best hope for the return of mass attendance events.

Be a mixture: controlled events while vaccinations are going on

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...