Jump to content

Will the 2021 festival go ahead?


JoeyT
 Share

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

  1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

    • Yes - I 100% believe
      43
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
      158
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
      87
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
      79
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.
      67


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Even though they'd technically given themselves until March before they'll need to decide either way, surely there are some contracts that have to be put in place over the next month or two? I recall reading that the recycling crew coordinator usually hears something by the end of January in terms of locking in that service.

Surely they’re just volunteers who will happily wait longer if necessary? It’s not as if they might get booked up for a different festival that week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I'm not saying or suggesting anything is actually afoot.....I'm merely pondering on how far in bed would Eavis get to ensure the event took place, and whether a decision to tell them to bugger off would be supported.

Though if the government did want to use Glastonbury for political capital (and the timing on that could work, given that it'd be one of the first major music events of the recovery in either Europe or the US and so would likely be broadcast even wider than usual), then they wouldn't need to get Michael and Emily to actively consent to it in any way. Just the visual of having a packed Pyramid crowd on screens worldwide would be pretty effective by itself, and the Government are perfectly happy to make statements claiming any credit they can regardless of how deserved it is.

If it does go ahead and even if there's no government support whatsoever then I'm sure you'll get Boris banging on about how his firm decisive action enabled this Great British event and whatever other triumphalist language he comes up with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I enjoy the humour of this but I think the safer option is the festival doesn’t put any money down and has a back to normal event in 2022 with no restrictions.

Any restrictions put in place for this year are likely to be in place for next year too. 
 

Covid isn’t going to vanish after this year. Vaccinations are going to limit the harm it does but the virus is too widespread for it to be eliminated within a year. A lot of the precautions we live with now are likely to be around for a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Any restrictions put in place for this year are likely to be in place for next year too. 
 

Covid isn’t going to vanish after this year. Vaccinations are going to limit the harm it does but the virus is too widespread for it to be eliminated within a year. A lot of the precautions we live with now are likely to be around for a while. 

June 2022? Public won't be up for restrictions in 2022. Just learn to live with the extra deaths with no restrictions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The tier system will be long gone but I’m expecting mask wearing to become normality. 

Really can't see mask wearing lasting into 2022, at least not with any decent level of compliance.

I'm happy to do so now, and would have no problem doing so at any 2021 festival that can go ahead, but that does have a time limit - and that's about a week or two after everyone who wants a vaccine has had their second jab. As soon as we hit that marker, I'm not wearing a mask again unless there's some new variant that renders the vaccines useless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Any restrictions put in place for this year are likely to be in place for next year too. 
 

Covid isn’t going to vanish after this year. Vaccinations are going to limit the harm it does but the virus is too widespread for it to be eliminated within a year. A lot of the precautions we live with now are likely to be around for a while. 

Will festivals ever return?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The tier system will be long gone but I’m expecting mask wearing to become normality. 

Now that we are all used to them and have stacks of the bloody things, I’d hope that it becomes a bit more normal to wear one on packed public transport if you are under the weather/as you recover (though home working becoming more accepted now may just mean we don’t go in as frequently if we are getting over something and just work at home if we can). I think that’s about the best we could hope for once vaccination reaches saturation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Really can't see mask wearing lasting into 2022, at least not with any decent level of compliance.

I'm happy to do so now, and would have no problem doing so at any 2021 festival that can go ahead, but that does have a time limit - and that's about a week or two after everyone who wants a vaccine has had their second jab. As soon as we hit that marker, I'm not wearing a mask again unless there's some new variant that renders the vaccines useless.

I just dont think masks at a multi day outdoor event is a realistic idea - they'd get dirty, wet, sweaty etc so be made ineffective, so people would need a pile of disposables each to make it worthwhile, when really we know most will just bring one reusable. And to keep compliance you'd really need to ban alcohol sales so a lot of the income that make it worthwhile is gone (or have drinking areas but would probably make it worse with loads crammed in one area). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....let's say UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

In return Eavis has to agree for his event to be promoted by UK Govt as an example of how we've nailed Covid.

Eavis says no.  Right decision, or wrong?

 

Glastonbury 2021: Brought to you by Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock.

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s doing a deep house set in the Rabbit Hole at 3am. Priti Patel’s bringing the ket.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....let's say UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

In return Eavis has to agree for his event to be promoted by UK Govt as an example of how we've nailed Covid.

Eavis says no.  Right decision, or wrong?

 

I'd be happy with it because I don't care about the politics of the place, but it would kill the original spirit for a lot of people (who would never return) because it would have to involve the removal of any anti tory/anti capitalism/blm/extinction rebellion  style stuff- so the Greenfields, leftfield etc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Glastonbury 2021: Brought to you by Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock.

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s doing a deep house set in the Rabbit Hole at 3am. Priti Patel’s bringing the ket.

She would sell it to you, then have you nicked for carrying it.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....let's say UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

In return Eavis has to agree for his event to be promoted by UK Govt as an example of how we've nailed Covid.

Eavis says no.  Right decision, or wrong?

 

They've a business to run that employs people and a farm that's been in the family for hundreds of years. 

If sweet talking the government for a bit would secure jobs and the farm they'd do it. That's far more valuable than the, fleeting, pleasure of telling Boris where to stick it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....let's say UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

In return Eavis has to agree for his event to be promoted by UK Govt as an example of how we've nailed Covid.

Eavis says no.  Right decision, or wrong?

 

If they offered that to every festival they would take it. It would be very unfair otherwise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seen a few pictures of a huge gig in New Zealand this week, no precautions in place or needed. Has been shared pretty widely, and is being used by many to show how good the NZ's government response to covid has been. Glasto wouldn't have to be seen to promote Bojo and his mob for them to get plenty of press and (unwarranted) praise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Seen a few pictures of a huge gig in New Zealand this week, no precautions in place or needed. Has been shared pretty widely, and is being used by many to show how good the NZ's government response to covid has been. Glasto wouldn't have to be seen to promote Bojo and his mob for them to get plenty of press and (unwarranted) praise

Haha I just posted video at same time in post above 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Seen a few pictures of a huge gig in New Zealand this week, no precautions in place or needed. Has been shared pretty widely, and is being used by many to show how good the NZ's government response to covid has been. Glasto wouldn't have to be seen to promote Bojo and his mob for them to get plenty of press and (unwarranted) praise

How Bizarre 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...