Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Excellent! 🙂 

To me, that says they've decided to not make a decision to cancel soon, and want to see how things pan out over the next month or two.

That's about the best we could hope for right now. 

Agreed, I think all festivals/events are going to hold on as long as possible for this year, things are moving at a much faster pace than first predicted so theres still every chance of it happening 😁

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Excellent! 🙂 

To me, that says they've decided to not make a decision to cancel soon, and want to see how things pan out over the next month or two.

That's about the best we could hope for right now. 

Thats my reading too 😀

Came across this Twitter thread earlier and was surprised by how much more negative people are - consensus here is a  big no for summer festivals:

Personally I do think some will go ahead. I'm not sure about Glastonbury, but I can see stuff happening in August/September and I definitely think big outdoor gigs and one-dayers will happen.

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I do think some will go ahead. I'm not sure about Glastonbury, but I can see stuff happening in August/September and I definitely think big outdoor gigs and one-dayers will happen.

I definitely think theyll happen in some capacity, maybe some weekend festivals may revert to one dayers with a 3 day ticket option? Theres still a lot that can change in the coming months between the realistic time of decision making so we can all but hope till then 

3 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

I was the security supervisor in that tent, think it was 2004. Was it near the then Jazz stage?

I think it was inbetween the Jazz stage and The Glade iirc.

Fairly sure it was 2005, as Mani was on site to play with Primal Scream on the Sunday (Pyramid) 

Interesting, that deposit refund extension. It definitely indicates all is not lost - that they're still open to the idea it could happen and don't have enough information to make a call yet. I don't think the state of vaccinations is as critical to them as government support in the event of cancellation. I think once it's clear what the government is and isn't prepared to do, we'll get a statement of some kind soon afterwards.

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Came across this Twitter thread earlier and was surprised by how much more negative people are - consensus here is a  big no for summer festivals:

I agree with you, ZMG. Despite early positive vaccine rollout figures, at the moment I think the best we can hope for is late summer and some organisers seem to have a similar outlook. That said, in 8-10 weeks time, the landscape should look very different. In addition to the obvious, organisation-wise, two of the big questions at that point will be: 1. Will it be easy for acts to freely travel globally? And, 2. Will there be enough certainty to commence with builds and infrastructure? Either way, I'm pretty confident of squeezing in at least one festival this year. And I'll take that.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I agree with you, ZMG. Despite early positive vaccine rollout figures, at the moment I think the best we can hope for is late summer and some organisers seem to have a similar outlook. That said, in 8-10 weeks time, the landscape should look very different. In addition to the obvious, organisation-wise, two of the big questions at that point will be: 1. Will it be easy for acts to freely travel globally? And, 2. Will there be enough certainty to commence with builds and infrastructure? Either way, I'm pretty confident of squeezing in at least one festival this year. And I'll take that.

Yep agree with all this too. I'm sort of already used to the idea of not going to Glastonbury as it wasnever a given I'd get a ticket before the pandemic hit. But I'd love to get to at least one before the summer is out. I fancied Blue Dot but not sure if that's too early either. Really hoping I can do Supernormal in August. That is tiny so does seem possible.

I've been going to my local park for 25 years and today I saw this which must have always been there... I'm taking this as a sign we're in business. (Also saw a sign saying 'make sure you clean up your shit' and as soon as I got home I had a shit and cleaned it up... overwhelming further evidence).

20210117_133549.jpg

46 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I definitely think theyll happen in some capacity, maybe some weekend festivals may revert to one dayers with a 3 day ticket option? Theres still a lot that can change in the coming months between the realistic time of decision making so we can all but hope till then 

Imagine if Glastonbury said we need to reduce capacity, so it’s on all weekend but you can only come for one day (24hours) for £100. Impossible to police I know but would you go? Course you would:-)

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Am I the only one who still think its too early to know for sure? Feel like we'll get a clearer idea at the start of March then now, especially with things generally not going well (if admittedly a little better than this time last week, where they were looking really bad).

I think most people feel that way.