Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

I'm not sure either way, but as far as I'm aware, Glastonbury is the largest mass gathering in the entire country right? 

So if you look at it the other way, if Glastonbury goes ahead, everything else can go ahead. And that's what gives me pause - I don't think we'll be ready for everything to be totally back to normal in late June. 

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

They would just roll it to 2022 like they would with punters tickets. I honestly wouldn't read anything into it whatsoever. 

That’s fair enough. I am still going to remain positive about it though. I need something to at least look forward to so until they say it’s over, it’s on. 

52 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think we will be seeing a very different festival if we have to either a) been vaccinated or b) have a negative test as large sections of the non mainstream that organise the green/craft/Joe Rush's crew may not want to do either of those things but then I suppose we are back to what @Sawdusty Surfer posted.

I could just about understand not wanting to be vaccinated but not wanting to undergo a simple test in exchange for being able to work during a global pandemic is silly. 

11 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

They would just roll it to 2022 like they would with punters tickets. I honestly wouldn't read anything into it whatsoever. 

Equally they haven't been giving away tickets since the festival was cancelled, and they now decide to give some away the week we're expecting vaccine approval...It's a sign they're still planning for 2021 and they wouldn't be giving some away if they were 60/40 thinking it's not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jparx said:

Equally they haven't been giving away tickets since the festival was cancelled, and they now decide to give some away the week we're expecting vaccine approval...It's a sign they're still planning for 2021 and they wouldn't be giving some away if they were 60/40 thinking it's not going to happen.

I think everyone can agree we are somewhere between 50/50 and 60/40 with regards to going ahead in june.

When they start making lineup announcements things are starting to get more serious. 

sometimes i think people believe the festivals / organisers have a much better steer on how likely things are to go ahead next year where i believe the reality is they’ve got no better idea than the average well engaged member of this board - as of today anyway.

53 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'm not sure either way, but as far as I'm aware, Glastonbury is the largest mass gathering in the entire country right? 

So if you look at it the other way, if Glastonbury goes ahead, everything else can go ahead. And that's what gives me pause - I don't think we'll be ready for everything to be totally back to normal in late June. 

alternatively, there's no better way of advertising to the world that the UK is back to normal.

I’m slightly anxious about the scenario that the festival manages to happen because enough vaccines are rolled out by June (something I think is 50/50 right now), but international travel isn’t yet back on its feet so everyone who’d fly on for it can’t make it.

Given that possibility, and the reality that some people won’t want to go no matter how many times Boris Johnson tells them it’s safe, I think it’s possible they may offer a rollover to 2022 for ticket holders even though 2021 will happen. I could see them offering that to international ticket holders, over 60s and frontline workers. 

Edit: I’ve just remembered my registered address is in the UK because I wanted my parents to take delivery and avoid the international post. Goddammit. 

Edited by kalifire

17 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Edit: I’ve just remembered my registered address is in the UK because I wanted my parents to take delivery and avoid the international post. Goddammit. 

I think if this does happen, anyone will be able to request for the ticket to be rolled over, regardless of correspondance address, age or nationality. People will have a lot of different reasons for not going as you've said, so they'd make it available to everyone!

18 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I think if this does happen, anyone will be able to request for the ticket to be rolled over, regardless of correspondance address, age or nationality. People will have a lot of different reasons for not going as you've said, so they'd make it available to everyone!

Fair point. Perhaps a voluntary rollover next year. I wonder if they’d fill the spaces that frees up or just have a smaller capacity. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m slightly anxious about the scenario that the festival manages to happen because enough vaccines are rolled out by June (something I think is 50/50 right now), but international travel isn’t yet back on its feet so everyone who’d fly on for it can’t make it.

Given that possibility, and the reality that some people won’t want to go no matter how many times Boris Johnson tells them it’s safe, I think it’s possible they may offer a rollover to 2022 for ticket holders even though 2021 will happen. I could see them offering that to international ticket holders, over 60s and frontline workers. 

This goes in-line with my suggestion that they use testing, anyone tests negative they can go but if you receive a positive result then you can roll your ticket to 2022. 

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Fair point. Perhaps a voluntary rollover next year. I wonder if they’d fill the spaces that frees up or just have a smaller capacity. 

I’d been thinking this for a while about the tickets some will chance it ... others might not be so comfortable ...so an option for rollover will be good but I think those tickets will go back in the pot ... it won’t make a difference covid wise ... but finances wise it’s going to make quite a difference 

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Worth remembering that it’s an outdoor gathering though. An outdoor gathering of a six figure number of people may still be safer than medium sized indoor gatherings such as gigs, theatre performances and conferences.

57 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I think this is a likely scenario. Let people roll it forward if they want to, see what that leaves them with as planning to attend and run at e.g. 75% capacity. There would still be crowds, but a little less than usual, and those that are attending make an informed choice. Perhaps with testing/vaccine passport alongside this.

• Upvote 3

Things that definitely will not happen:

1) postponing the festival. Emily Eavis has made it as clear as she possibly can that it just isn’t an option

2) Reduced capacity event. It either happens in full as normal or it doesnt happen. Some might be cautious but any spares would be snapped up in resales in seconds.

neither of these scenarios are even remotely in play and i wish people would stop mentioning either of them as they have no chance of happening

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

If you take the 2021 ticket you are not excluded from trying for 2022 (or at least not in the imagined scenario that is building). So you can go for both :)

Sure, but what if you do 2021 and miss out on tickets for 2022 and it’s my dream lineup?! Agonising.

31 minutes ago, jparx said:

Sure, but what if you do 2021 and miss out on tickets for 2022 and it’s my dream lineup?! Agonising.

I get you, but I feel like the atmosphere for 2021 (if it happens) will be absolutely off the scale after the year everyone’s had, regardless of lineup. Worth the risk in my opinion.