Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Are they? I've not read anything about them actively working on providing something. Got a link?

No link, got 2 people I know on the working party that's been dealing with it for several months now.

However separate to that, the DCMS select committee have also written to Rishi Sunak asking him to extend government backed coronavirus insurance schemes to the events industry. 

4 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

No link, got 2 people I know on the working party that's been dealing with it for several months now.

However separate to that, the DCMS select committee have also written to Rishi Sunak asking him to extend government backed coronavirus insurance schemes to the events industry. 

Interesting. Any idea on timescales?

Just now, kalifire said:

Interesting. Any idea on timescales?

Sadly not. 

*edit* Personally I think it needs to be the end of January

They already provided a backed insurance scheme for the TV/Film industry (£500m I think) and they are asking for a similar scheme for festivals/events, but not sure what even the criteria would be for that sorry. 

Edited by Paul ™

24 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Sadly not. 

They already provided a backed insurance scheme for the TV/Film industry (£500m I think) and they are asking for a similar scheme for festivals/events, but not sure what even the criteria would be for that sorry. 

There isn't really a workable criteria.

What exactly is a covid cancellation? Is it govt saying no festivals, or is it not willing to go ahead with social distancing? The problems only get worse from there.

Can't see how there's anything that works.

Just now, eFestivals said:

There isn't really a workable criteria.

What exactly is a covid cancellation? Is it govt saying no festivals, or is it not willing to go ahead with social distancing? The problems only get worse from there.

Can't see how there's anything that works.

I know, I don't have the answers sorry. Am just keeping fingers crossed.. see below! 

Just now, dotdash79 said:

Bearded theory has moved to September 

Yup and my fav band headline it.. here's hoping September is a go! 

45 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Sadly not. 

Surely only works if UK comes out of the social distancing situation and then a festival is forced to cancel due to the re-imposition of distancing rules etc.

For info think I recall the Germany insurance scheme has a max payout of €5million.

Now get the fests on and pubs open coz jabs booked next week 😀🍾

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They're tightening them, but said they could relax some of them by end of January.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/15/wales-to-introduce-new-covid-protections-in-supermarkets

Hasn’t seen that, thanks. They definitely need to clamp down on the supermarkets again as they’re a free for all at the moment. 

I suspect the loosening will be allowing you to meet another household outside but it’s better than nothing and a step in the right direction.

5 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Makes sense, I’d assumed the money was made available for paying for stuff in advance 

Advance structures have changed a lot over the years for events and paying talent. The money that See has could be in an account thats gaining interest and at least its making them some money. no reason not to do that type of thing because its in holding for so long.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Advance structures have changed a lot over the years for events and paying talent. The money that See has could be in an account thats gaining interest and at least its making them some money. no reason not to do that type of thing because its in holding for so long.

They should have just put the deposit  money into Tesla stock and bitcoin then they wouldn't need cancellation insurance...

here's what festival promoters think:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/restarting-live-music-in-2021-gig-and-festival-bosses-on-what-to-expect-2857761

Melvin: I’m super confident about the end of the summer, I’m super confident about the beginning of the summer.

Giddings: The discussions in Parliament don’t make my festival happen. Injecting people with a vaccine makes my festival happen. There is absolutely no reason for it not to happen. If we all pull together to achieve it, it’s possible.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

here's what festival promoters think:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/restarting-live-music-in-2021-gig-and-festival-bosses-on-what-to-expect-2857761

Melvin: I’m super confident about the end of the summer, I’m super confident about the beginning of the summer.

Giddings: The discussions in Parliament don’t make my festival happen. Injecting people with a vaccine makes my festival happen. There is absolutely no reason for it not to happen. If we all pull together to achieve it, it’s possible.

They need to be seen as optimistic as they have tickets to shift, I do think anything from August onwards will happen. 

I'm not confident this year's festival will go ahead, but I'm less concerned over the potential for GFL to suffer sufficient losses through cancelling to fold for good.

I don't think we should underestimate the creativity and initiative of the organisers, nor the love that 200,000+ people across the country have for an elderly dairy farmer from Somerset.

Let’s face it, in the grand scheme of things the cost for the government to provide insurance cover for the events Industry would be a drop in the ocean. Sure, it would be a big number, but in the context of the furlough scheme, test and trace, the vaccination programme it would be minuscule.

It really wouldn’t be that hard to provide, carry on planning your festivals etc as if they’re going to happen and if at any point they become unviable then the cover will reimburse all your costs incurred.

The problem is we don’t know the governments intentions and what their metrics are for getting things back to normal.

Its possible they want all parts of the economy back functioning as quickly as possible and they might include events within that. So it might be in their interests to encourage events to plan for the summer which is where insurance cover would come in.

Equally they might not see events as that important as far as the economy is concerned and aren’t inclined to underwrite them.

Nobody really knows at this stage, but if the inclination is there then it really won’t be a difficult thing to put in place.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Let’s face it, in the grand scheme of things the cost for the government to provide insurance cover for the events Industry would be a drop in the ocean. Sure, it would be a big number, but in the context of the furlough scheme, test and trace, the vaccination programme it would be minuscule.

If they had festivals pay into it, and they were able to define and meet their own targets, it could actually be profitable.

1 minute ago, incident said:

If they had festivals pay into it, and they were able to define and meet their own targets, it could actually be profitable.

Exactly, not the best example but it’s a bit like when they bailed out the banks, big numbers involved but in the end they made a lot of money out of doing it.

Ultimately it doesn’t have to be hard, it’s just a question of whether the inclination is there and do they want to give events the confidence to plan, or not.