Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Lol this outdated thinking is so shortsighted.

The US acts will move their tours if the US events move away from early summer.

Hopefully nobody disagrees with you, you’ll throw your toys out and leave the forum for three days.

By that logic it frees up US acts for June for the UK. For the record, I don’t think the festival is going ahead this year.. I just don’t think the USA and how they go about their business is a good barometer of judging where we sit.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Hopefully nobody disagrees with you, you’ll throw your toys out and leave the forum for three days.

By that logic it frees up US acts for June for the UK. For the record, I don’t think the festival is going ahead this year.. I just don’t think the USA and how they go about their business is a good barometer of judging where we sit.

The way I see it - if the US early summer festival period isn’t going ahead. The Europe one won’t either.

one continent won’t be out of the woods before another is. My comment also points out that if US acts start seeing legs of their tour being cancelled they will push the whole thing back. The 1975 have already done that and they are a U.K. act.

I don’t think festivals will return until the whole world has had some time to recover from this and get vaccinations distributed. This is a global virus and a sea between two countries won’t mean much.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I don't know, they're in a similar state to UK, maybe not quite as bad at moment.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know, they're in a similar state to UK, maybe not quite as bad at moment.

It’s pretty bad over here still, but the $15 billion for indie venues is at least a difference maker for now. 

28 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I feel like the USA is the last place we should use as a barometer. 

Like I said, take it how you want. But considering the U.S festival slate for May/June is pretty much down to a handful, and one of them thats still in a holding pattern has a similar capacity to Glasto, you should be looking at it. If we don’t do something, you wont either. 

If the Uk was able to ramp up to giving out a million doses a day by say the end of Feb, I would say the festival has a great chance of happening. But Bojo does not really make you feel that trusting since covid protocols have been changed 64 times and counting.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

If you want an early barometer on things here is something. A U.S festival that was supposed to be in early June has moved to late September. Take it how you like. 

I wonder what’s is happening with the State Fairs which are so popular over in the US ?

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Celebrities won’t be able to get the vaccine privately for a long time either. No one can commit to travel.

While that's the theory, it certainly won't be true in practice (arguably, it already isn't).

While they're currently limited and expensive, there's already reports of "vaccine tourism" packages being offered, and there's at least one known case of an American healthcare provider "diverting" shots to large donors. And that's just the stuff that's made the news.

As more doses from more different providers circulate it'll become pretty much impossible to prevent and so will likely become both more widespread and cheaper. Before the end of March, the only thing stopping anyone prepared to spend the cash from skipping the "queue" will be if they're concerned about the possible impact on their reputation.

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I have it on good authority events with capacities way lower than Glastonbury are going on with this approach.

So they're all cancelling because not everyone will be vaccinated before the end of the summer?

I wonder why they're holding the cancellation announcements back then, if they've already decided they can't go ahead until everyone is vaccinated?

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

So they're all cancelling because not everyone will be vaccinated before the end of the summer?

I wonder why they're holding the cancellation announcements back then, if they've already decided they can't go ahead until everyone is vaccinated?

I’m sure you know that events don’t cancel immediately when the organisers know it’s off. Lots to be worked out before you announce it’s over?

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m sure you know that events don’t cancel immediately when the organisers know it’s off. Lots to be worked out before you announce it’s over?

I’d love to understand your logic.

Business travel is allowed at the moment, no requirement for a vaccine.

Are you saying that the rules are going to change on that and everyone will need a vaccine to come here?

Or are you suggesting the artists themselves won’t come here unless they can get a vaccine?

If it’s the latter, what is their logic behind that? If they’re American for example, they could potentially be leaving a place with more virus circulating to come to the U.K with less virus (and earn money)

Are you suggesting artists are a unique breed, that unlike the rest of the world won’t work or travel unless vaccinated?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I used to make this argument but I think we’ve had our answer in the past few days.

Festivals can’t go ahead until every adult has been offered the chance to have a vaccine. It’s not everyone being vaccinated, but everyone has the opportunity to get one.

We are going for another year of no gigs. October 2021 at the earliest (which is when the gov have promised that all adults will have a chance at vaccination).

Quoting my original points because somethings been lost here.

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’d love to understand your logic.

Business travel is allowed at the moment, no requirement for a vaccine.

Are you saying that the rules are going to change on that and everyone will need a vaccine to come here?

Or are you suggesting the artists themselves won’t come here unless they can get a vaccine?

If it’s the latter, what is their logic behind that? If they’re American for example, they could potentially be leaving a place with more virus circulating to come to the U.K with less virus (and earn money)

Are you suggesting artists are a unique breed, that unlike the rest of the world won’t work or travel unless vaccinated?

So how does that work playing multiple shows across various European countries on a tour?

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

So how does that work playing multiple shows across various European countries?

It depends on the individual countries obviously.

But if we don’t require at artist to have a vaccine and they get booked for a paying job to perform here, are you saying they won’t take it unless they’re vaccinated?