Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure about that.

Sooner or later it becomes a bit unfair that people who bought tickets years and years ago are guaranteed the next festival, particularly when some of those people might not choose to go 'now' if they didn't already have a ticket.

I think giving ticket holders the choice if they want to carry over is the fairest way. If they don't want to carry over, then give them a refund. Giving people 2/3 years of something to look forward to through this shitty time and then taking it away from them at the end is a bit off in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure about that.

Sooner or later it becomes a bit unfair that people who bought tickets years and years ago are guaranteed the next festival, particularly when some of those people might not choose to go 'now' if they didn't already have a ticket.

I assume having the money in hand would superesede that?

Saying that, if it doesnt go ahead in 2022, then they may as well never have festivals again

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure about that.

Is it See that has the deposits? Hope they've got the £~10,000,000 in a high interest account 

Just now, Chawk said:

Is it See that has the deposits? Hope they've got the £~10,000,000 in a high interest account 

I believe See has the money, yeah.

There's no such thing as high interest accounts nowadays.

Ticketmaster have (pre-pandemic) been using their moneypots to loan money to their parent company, which is a decent way of getting a return on it I guess (the return is via any interest paid by LN, or by LN not having to pay interest for a loan).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

do you mean the judgement about a week ago, that says insurance companies have to pay out for covid on business interruption insurance?

I don't think it would have any bearing on Glastonbury's decision for this year.

I meant the appeal where they found overwhelmingly in favour for the vast majority of claimants who were not included in the action or whose policies included slightly different extensions.Allowing policy holders to claim on events' insurance if cancelled - or was that last week? What day even is it?

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure about that.

I agree with that. 2020 Ticket holders have been very well looked after, but there is a limit. 

Certainly within my group (who all missed out) I think that the uncertainty about when we might feasibly have another chance of getting tickets has caused a bit of a drop in interest in the festival. This probably isn't a massive concern for a huge festival that always sells out but I do wonder how many of the hardcore (former) repeat attendees are in this position. 

1 hour ago, sadimmock said:

I agree with that. 2020 Ticket holders have been very well looked after, but there is a limit. 

Certainly within my group (who all missed out) I think that the uncertainty about when we might feasibly have another chance of getting tickets has caused a bit of a drop in interest in the festival. This probably isn't a massive concern for a huge festival that always sells out but I do wonder how many of the hardcore (former) repeat attendees are in this position. 

Agree there is a limit but its only the second time, its not like this is the 4/5 time.  The only other way is going to people who got tickets "Yeah soz try again". Seems a bit unfair that you managed to get tickets. 

I think the pull of glastonbury would make your friends  and everybody else be ready on next ticket day, ready f5 in a heartbeat

2 hours ago, sadimmock said:

Don't forget 2020 ticket holders are current contributing about £6 million to the festival financing through held ticket deposits. The roll over isn't entirely out of the goodness of their heart, there's a financial element involved as well. The festival are looking after them but they're also collectively looking after the festival.

36 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Don't forget 2020 ticket holders are current contributing about £6 million to the festival financing through held ticket deposits. The roll over isn't entirely out of the goodness of their heart, there's a financial element involved as well. The festival are looking after them but they're also collectively looking after the festival.

I thought that the deposits were held by See? I don't doubt that knowing that the festival has sold out anyway is useful though!

The news is in, it was never going to happen this year though - 50th GF needed to be done without restrictions or the cloud of Covid - I've been following this thread for some time as I live out of the UK and had booked my flight in August last year  so I could do Glasto on Saturday and Sunday with a Guest List ticket. As much as the talk has been hopeful, it was never ever going to happen in 2021. Here's to next year (what's the weather thread saying?)

Edited by NickM45

5 minutes ago, NickM45 said:

The news is in, it was never going to happen this year though - 50th GF needed to be done without restrictions or the cloud of Covid - I've been following this thread for some time as I live out of the UK and had booked my flight in August last year  so I could do Glasto on Saturday and Sunday with a Guest List ticket. As much as the talk has been hopeful, it was never ever going to happen in 2021. Here's to next year (what's the weather thread saying?)

Why book a flight if it was ‘never ever going to happen’ ? 

40 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why book a flight if it was ‘never ever going to happen’ ? 

Because I had to be in the UK on or around that date. I did honestly think last August GF was going to happen, but the UK Govt being slack in their response to Covid hasn't helped. 

Edited by NickM45

7 hours ago, NickM45 said:

It was the 50th year after Glastonbury started, not the 50th Glastonbury.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:40 PM, sadimmock said:

They're not well looked after if at the end of this they're told they no longer have a ticket. At least your group always knew they weren't going to the next festival, it's really not fair to shaft the people who all through the pandemic had the hope that at least they will be going to the next Glastonbury.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:07 PM, Leyrulion said:

Don't forget all the people who paid in full over a year ago for Worthy View and Stinkditch (or whatever it's called).