Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

16 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I can maybe see reading/Leeds taking place with some sort of testing on arrival and maybe no camping...

Why would you downvote that @mashinko? It’s not exactly an unrealistic prediction! 

Well my eyes are now firmly fixed on the first Friday of September & Pilton Party.

Much more likely to happen given it's a further 2 months worth of vaccinations, crowd considerably smaller in volume and predominantly local to the area.

Coldplay to headline? 

• Like 1

Alas it was always the most likely outcome.  What I really really want (Mel B tribute) would be that we start getting some announcements around the tail end of this year and to have a nice lead in that isn't will it happen.

Already pimped, but the virtual meet is the place to be and I **think** we agreed a Karaoke alternative 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

I have a real feeling that opening at Christmas has fucked us here. You can't go ahead with the terrible numbers atm but it will be almost non existent by June 

Nah i would love to blame it on that. I think the virus was never truly under control like in NZ. It all comes down to the question of "can i see more than 6 friends by summer" and even if we locked down at Christmas we would still be in tiers in summer 

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Damn. Seemed inevitable, but still crushing to hear. Pretty glad they made this decision/let us know early on, though.

Just waiting for all of the other Spring/Summer events to fall by the wayside now...

This. On both counts. i hope there will be some events (in a field, with camping) by late Aug early Sept, but it is hope rather than expectation.

My opinion is that this is for the best. We're no longer speculating and even if they managed to get Glastonbury over the line for summer it would have been a water down version.  Too many restrictions, too much risk and it would of been a solely British affair since doubtful international visitors could come (forget about the issues with visas with artists) 

The question now is how do you make Glastonbury 2022 the best ever? Their financial position has taken a hit no doubt. I personally would be happy to add bonus on top of my ticket to help fund the return (understand not everyone can)

Just now, eFestivals said:

still changed the game tho. Don't pretend it didn't. 

I'm still confident the situation will be good enough in June that the festival could have taken place without it being a huge health risk. 

Were any of the concerns we discussed in Nov on this thread addressed? No. Your confidence is misplaced.

The virus would not have been sufficiently eradicated, nor would the tech be fullproof to mitigate irrespective of the innumerable mutations.

An absolute shame but nobody can say that this wasn't expected. Given how realistically Emily had been communicating, nobody could've reasonably gotten their hopes up.

I'm very glad that they've cancelled this early. This protects not only the festival from bankruptcy, but also the UK and our NHS! There's no greater gesture that the Festival could've made in light of how everything is at the moment.

I do feel sorry for those that don't have tickets as the festival for 2022 effectively sold out 3 years prior. It's a reminder that we need to walk before we can run and celebrate little victories. Mass gatherings, celebrations and international travel will come back in time.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

still changed the game tho. Don't pretend it didn't. 

I'm still confident the situation will be good enough in June that the festival could have taken place without it being a huge health risk. 

Do you think they’ve jumped the gun a little? 

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I honestly can’t see it. I think it will be until 2022 festivals can happen again.

a festival happening 2 months after Glastonbury won’t be immune from whatever glasto had to face

I think you will see smaller events (with much simpler builds) happening later in the summer. I mean some things even happened last year. 

Just now, sadimmock said:

I think you will see smaller events (with much simpler builds) happening later in the summer. I mean some things even happened last year. 

Yeah I can imagine stuff like the Hyde Park style gigs with 1 month build can still happen, whereas stuff like Glastonbury which needed stuff to happen jan-march can't.