Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

3 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I believe someone in one of the threads said they knew someone who helped book bands and that yesterday was decision day.

Thing is, an event on the scale of Glastonbury would not make a decision and then suddenly be ready to announce straight away. I suspect their comms plan is incredibly strict and that things are changing rapidly day to day. There also a significant number of stakeholders they would need to go through first before announcing publicly. I'd be surprised if we heard anything before later next week if it has been called off.*

*do not hold me to this

I'm nearly certain that if a decision to cancel is made, they'll make a public statement announcing it very quickly. Quite possibly the same day, and within about 48 hours at the absolute most. Aside from anything else, it's something that they need to ensure is handled correctly and as soon as they tell even one supplier/partner/stakeholder/etc without a public announcement then they've potentially lost control of the story. The longer the gap between them telling someone (anyone) and the public announcement the worse the situation will get as the press and social media will create all kinds of speculation and repeat it as gospel truth.

When the decision came last March, the public announcement was made within a few hours, and at least one key partner (Oxfam) have said that they only had 4 minutes advance notice that it was coming. I can't see why it'd be any different this time.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm nearly certain that if a decision to cancel is made, they'll make a public statement announcing it very quickly. Quite possibly the same day, and within about 48 hours at the absolute most. Aside from anything else, it's something that they need to ensure is handled correctly and as soon as they tell even one supplier/partner/stakeholder/etc without a public announcement then they've potentially lost control of the story. The longer the gap between them telling someone (anyone) and the public announcement the worse the situation will get as the press and social media will create all kinds of speculation and repeat it as gospel truth.

When the decision came last March, the public announcement was made within a few hours, and at least one key partner (Oxfam) have said that they only had 4 minutes advance notice that it was coming. I can't see why it'd be any different this time.

That's a fair point. I suspect a plan is already in place too for the rollout of information from the relevant channels that can be put into action whenever it is needed.

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Well, whilst I know it's the sun it's a more authoritative source then the anonymous twitter bot last week.... 

Not looking great today.

I'm sure we're going to know very soon either way.

Emily was very quick recently to quash the last rumour that surfaced online...

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Sad but unsurprising really.

Going to be a while before I'm destined for my first Glastonbury appearance it seems! Missed out on tickets for 2020 which is now 2022 and getting married around the end of June in 2023! 2024 here I come...

Perfect place for a honeymoon in 2023.

Glad they’ve acted nice and early in the year to stop too many people getting their hopes up. 
Wonder if there was one major factor that officially put the nail in the coffin, or if it was just a realisation from a new of things that it just wasn’t going to be possible.