Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

13 minutes ago, incident said:

"vaccines are not our way out... however not socializing, washing hands, wearing masks, and social distancing are."

I'd be stunned if anyone with any credibility actually let alone Vallance actually said that.

Social distancing is not a way out, by any possible standard. It's something that - obviously - is a short and at a huge stretch medium term mitigation.

Agreed. I thought that was mental and the total opposite of reality. Vaccines are the only viable way out but it will take time.

what Vallance said today

In a Q&A with Sky News viewers, Sir Patrick was asked if the lockdown would be kept in place if infection figures stayed the same or dropped.

“The advice at the moment is vaccines are not going to do the heavy lifting for us at the moment, anywhere near it,” he said.

“This is about, I’m afraid, the restrictive measures which we’re all living under and carrying on with those.

“The numbers are nowhere near where they need to be at the moment, they need to come down quite a lot further – we need to make sure we stick with it.

“You go for a walk in the park or something, life looks normal; you go for a walk in a hospital, if you work in a hospital, you will see life not looking normal at all.

“This is a really difficult, dangerous situation we’re in, and we need to get the numbers down, so I don’t see a release of these measures as being a sensible thing to do in the short term.”

“I think it’s important to recognise this is not going to be a sort of big bang, ‘great, take the lid off, everything’s fine, we can all go back to normal’.

“This is going to be a slow release, monitoring carefully, understanding the effects.”

“This is very, very bad at the moment, with enormous pressure, and in some cases it looks like a war zone in terms of the things that people are having to deal with.”

“There’s light at the end of the tunnel, science is going to get us out of this, and we’re on the way.

“We need to carry on doing what we’re doing and a big thank you to everybody.

“It’s really tough to keep these restrictions in place, it’s really tough on children, it’s really tough on all of us.”

“Please keep going because if we can keep this under control, if we can drive these numbers down, that’s what’s going to get us out of this sooner.”

“One in eight to one in 10 people have had this illness and, although we have vaccinated the most very susceptible people, there are a large number of people, perhaps 80% to 90% of the population, (who) are still susceptible to getting severe disease that would cause hospitalisation and put them at risk of long Covid.”

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not everything has to be lifted for a festival to go ahead. Some restrictions may have to be in place but probably ones that don’t apply to outdoor festivals. 

For instance the indoor(in tent) dining areas may not be allowed to go ahead in their usual format. We may still have to wear masks on public transport to get there and on the monorail while traveling around the site. 

There will be lots of signage and increased hand washing facilities 

I don’t think there will be any restrictions in place that prevents an outdoor gathering of people. 

I don't know. Look at any picture of the pyramid stage. At that capacity I don't think being outdoors mitigates transmission (I'm no doctor so could be totally wrong on this but my view is being packed like sardines during a headliner and then when a set ends means you have incredibly close contact with hundreds of people.)

If you can't have tented dinning areas, you can't have the JP stage. 

The messaging is gonna be really confusing cos I don't see rules of 6 being lifted in earlier summer. So you have this rule of no more than 6 vs  200k on a farm.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Well once people have their two vaccines, they will meet up with each other. No point trying to fight that.

Yes, a few other people, not 200’000 in one place for 5+ days. 

Id love to go to a few festivals and big gigs this year but can’t see it. My wife works for the council in residential care and what she’s been told by PHE today makes it look like we’re in for another tough year. 

I know we all take risks with our health at festivals, whether it be drink, drugs, hygiene, lack of sleep etc, but if not enough people are vaccinated at the festival the truth is people could fall ill just by other people coughing near them, no festival organizers will sign off on that kind of risk 

5 minutes ago, swede said:

Yes, a few other people, not 200’000 in one place for 5+ days. 

Id love to go to a few festivals and big gigs this year but can’t see it. My wife works for the council in residential care and what she’s been told by PHE today makes it look like we’re in for another tough year. 

I know we all take risks with our health at festivals, whether it be drink, drugs, hygiene, lack of sleep etc, but if not enough people are vaccinated at the festival the truth is people could fall ill just by other people coughing near them, no festival organizers will sign off on that kind of risk 

But what makes a festival organiser any different to an employer, a pub landlord, a restaurant owner, football club, shopping centre, cinema etc etc etc?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede said:

what she’s been told by PHE today makes it look like we’re in for another tough year.

what im failing to understand is why ? we have had 1 in 8  with some Natural immunity having had covid ...... and quite a large proportion including the most vulnerable having had jabs ... we will definately not be in a worse position than last year ... potentially much better .....  Is there something ive overlooked ? 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

what im failing to understand is why ? we have had 1 in 8  with some Natural immunity having had covid ...... and quite a large proportion including the most vulnerable having had jabs ... we will definately not be in a worse position than last year ... potentially much better .....  Is there something ive overlooked ? 

It’s like Vallance said in his Q&A, we need 70+% of the population to be vaccinated to see the effects, plus at the same time hospital admissions and deaths need to drop to see any loosening of restrictions. 

Its been reported approx 25% of hospital admissions this time round are under 50, that’s the last groups in terms of age to be vaccinated 

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But what makes a festival organiser any different to an employer, a pub landlord, a restaurant owner, football club, shopping centre, cinema etc etc etc?

A landlord can space out tables, have table service etc just like last summer. I went out for a friends birthday in September, went in 3 pubs, all table service, staff were very strict about the rules. I was out for 3 hours and didn’t talk to anyone outside of our group, 

That’s a very different level of risk then being surrounded by 200’000 strangers for 5 days 

11 minutes ago, swede said:

It’s like Vallance said in his Q&A, we need 70+% of the population to be vaccinated to see the effects, plus at the same time hospital admissions and deaths need to drop to see any loosening of restrictions. 

Its been reported approx 25% of hospital admissions this time round are under 50, that’s the last groups in terms of age to be vaccinated 

but the significant problems have also been over the winter months .... infection levels dropped right down in the summer ... and we have that plus jabs / immunity ... which gives the last groups time to be vaccinated over the summer .... ?  edit and much much higher testing capacity 

Edited by crazyfool1

1 minute ago, swede said:

Let's be real. This year is not going to be worse than last (at least for covid) and infections are going to fall off a cliff as we approach the summer. Remember the peak was April last year, not January. 

2 minutes ago, swede said:

A landlord can space out tables, have table service etc just like last summer. I went out for a friends birthday in September, went in 3 pubs, all table service, staff were very strict about the rules. I was out for 3 hours and didn’t talk to anyone outside of our group, 

That’s a very different level of risk then being surrounded by 200’000 strangers for 5 days 

It depends what we’re talking about though, yeah if social distancing is still a thing then Festivals won’t be viable anyway. But if it isn’t, I don’t see why one type of business wouldn’t take on a risk that plenty of others would. People can cough near other people anywhere, doesn’t really make a difference if that’s at a festival or anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

but the significant problems have also been over the winter months .... infection levels dropped right down in the summer ... and we have that plus jabs / immunity ... which gives the last groups time to be vaccinated over the summer .... ? 

They dropped with only one strain kicking about. 
These new variants really seem to be getting to the under 50’s. 

Ive already mentioned on here my brother in laws best buddy has been on a ventilator in our local hospital last week, 28 with no underlying conditions. 

We get our first dose over the summer, personally I don’t see myself getting my first dose till September at the earliest, then we have to wait a few weeks to get the second dose, then wait for the immunity to kick in fully. Festivals only happen in my mind if majority of festival going adults are vaccinated and there’s no restrictions so this timeline doesn’t fit in to this year’s festival season 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It depends what we’re talking about though, yeah if social distancing is still a thing then Festivals won’t be viable anyway. But if it isn’t, I don’t see why one type of business wouldn’t take on a risk that plenty of others would. People can cough near other people anywhere, doesn’t really make a difference if that’s at a festival or anywhere else.

I still think social distancing and table service in pubs will still be in place come June 

Yes, people can cough near people anywhere, totally agree. 

A few people with covid coughing within a packed pyramid stage crowd is totally different though. 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Not if they have underlying health conditions which a good chunk very well might.

I’ve had this debate with friends, what do you class as an underlying condition though ? 

Ive suffered from blood clots but haven’t had an episode since 2014, since then ive improved my health, gym, running, better diet.  So would you class me as fit and healthy, which is what I’d say I am as I’ve never felt healthier. Or if I did get covid, which in some cares has clotted people’s blood, would you class me as having an underlying condition even though I’m nearly 7 years removed from my last clotting episode ? 

1 minute ago, swede said:

I’ve had this debate with friends, what do you class as an underlying condition though ? 

Ive suffered from blood clots but haven’t had an episode since 2014, since then ive improved my health, gym, running, better diet.  So would you class me as fit and healthy, which is what I’d say I am as I’ve never felt healthier. Or if I did get covid, which in some cares has clotted people’s blood, would you class me as having an underlying condition even though I’m nearly 7 years removed from my last clotting episode ? 

It doesn't specify 

At Risk (under 65) 6 6.1m 7.3m

But they say there is 7.3 million of them so it must be pretty wide ranging. It isn't about what I class anyone as, they will have a definition which they'll have worked out based on who is most vulnerable. Also these people will be vaxxed soon as they are group 6 and they're saying they'll have done one jab for up to 4 next month. 

Overall I would guess a lot of the under 55 hospitalisations come from folk in this group.