Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

If today is decision day then the decision got to be its cancelled. I don't see how they can announce that its going ahead at this early stage (or maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick) 

Still don't see how they could go ahead. Do people really think that by June every restriction is lifted? 

In my head the top 9 groups all need both doses administered before we could even start to think about mass gatherings. Considering there’s a 12 week delay between doses and glasto is in june, I think we’d need to really see all 9 groups have their first dose by end of feb, which obviously isn’t in line with the current targets. Festivals come August/September are more likely, but I still won’t put anything on those either as we need to see how well vaccine rollout goes and if any new variants etc get in the way.

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Still don't see how they could go ahead. Do people really think that by June every restriction is lifted? 

Not everything has to be lifted for a festival to go ahead. Some restrictions may have to be in place but probably ones that don’t apply to outdoor festivals. 

For instance the indoor(in tent) dining areas may not be allowed to go ahead in their usual format. We may still have to wear masks on public transport to get there and on the monorail while traveling around the site. 

There will be lots of signage and increased hand washing facilities 

I don’t think there will be any restrictions in place that prevents an outdoor gathering of people. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not everything has to be lifted for a festival to go ahead. Some restrictions may have to be in place but probably ones that don’t apply to outdoor festivals. 

For instance the indoor(in tent) dining areas may not be allowed to go ahead in their usual format. We may still have to wear masks on public transport to get there and on the monorail while traveling around the site. 

I don’t think there will be any restrictions in place that prevents an outdoor gathering of people. 

They wouldn’t force people to wear masks on public transport but then allow 200k people to mix with no social distancing in a festival? I don’t see the logic in that..

If a festival is on, all restrictions are gone. That’s the way I see it.

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

In my head the top 9 groups all need both doses administered before we could even start to think about mass gatherings. Considering there’s a 12 week delay between doses and glasto is in june, I think we’d need to really see all 9 groups have their first dose by end of feb, which obviously isn’t in line with the current targets. Festivals come August/September are more likely, but I still won’t put anything on those either as we need to see how well vaccine rollout goes and if any new variants etc get in the way.

I dont think thats the Govt thinking for sure. If one dose truns out to reduce Hospitalisations/deaths, then theyll reduce restrictions before then

While it's not inconceivable that, with some restrictions, Glastonbury could go ahead, I think, well hope really, that moves to open up are tentative with time taken to observe possible affects. This strikes me as the logical way forward and the reason that I don't think the festival (as we know it) will take place.

Caveat: The government are shocking so logic may not apply.

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

They wouldn’t force people to wear masks on public transport but then allow 200k people to mix with no social distancing in a festival? I don’t see the logic in that..

If a festival is on, all restrictions are gone. That’s the way I see it.

They might decide that they don’t need restrictions on anything outdoors but they might have to remain in place for being in a confined indoor/vehicle setting. 

When has the government shown any logic in deciding what restrictions need to run alongside each other. 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

They might decide that they don’t need restrictions on anything outdoors but they might have to remain in place for being in a confined indoor/vehicle setting. 

When has the government shown any logic in deciding what restrictions need to run alongside each other. 

How can you have people camping with each other then and going in indoor spaces like music tents? Or would it all have to be open air?

Sorry I’m not trying to be difficult and I understand what you’re saying about government logic and restrictions completely- I’m just trying to get my head around all of it.

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

How can you have people camping with each other then and going in indoor spaces like music tents? Or would it all have to be open air?

Sorry I’m not trying to be difficult and I understand what you’re saying about government logic and restrictions completely- I’m just trying to get my head around all of it.

In the brief non locked down period we had last year, bars had to operate with table service and people having to wear masks while going to the loo etc. We may end up having those same restrictions in place for the festival bars. Not impossible but will take some planning. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

In the brief non locked down period we had last year, bars had to operate with table service and people having to wear masks while going to the loo etc. We may end up having those same restrictions in place for the festival bars. Not impossible but will take some planning. 

Not impossible but never going to happen

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

The restrictions I definitely still see being in place are those as the result of a positive test where there's a legal duty to self-isolate. 

Requirement to produce a negative test on entry to the u.k. 

That'll be in place all well into 2022 I reckon.

51 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don't mind throwing a mask on while I'm on the flight over, but feck that if I have to wear one on the monorail!

• Upvote 2

I'm getting more and more pessimistic that it will go ahead.

I think it SHOULD go ahead, but I'm starting to think it's too much of a stretch.

By June, a huge amount of the population will not only be vaccinated, but have inherent immunity through previous infection (not to mention pre-existing immunity already widely studied and known to be a 'thing'). 

Quite why we need any restrictions whatsoever in June, I have no idea, but UK Gov will work on precautionary principal and make a good attempt at screwing the entire summer economy.

If they cancel Glastonbury, what else goes? All the others? Edinburgh? All the stadium gigs? Everything across Europe? I guess we get ourselves prepared for that. Many will simply not survive another lost summer.

2 minutes ago, Stu H said:

I'm getting more and more pessimistic that it will go ahead.

I think it SHOULD go ahead, but I'm starting to think it's too much of a stretch.

By June, a huge amount of the population will not only be vaccinated, but have inherent immunity through previous infection (not to mention pre-existing immunity already widely studied and known to be a 'thing'). 

Quite why we need any restrictions whatsoever in June, I have no idea, but UK Gov will work on precautionary principal and make a good attempt at screwing the entire summer economy.

If they cancel Glastonbury, what else goes? All the others? Edinburgh? All the stadium gigs? Everything across Europe? I guess we get ourselves prepared for that. Many will simply not survive another lost summer.

There hasn't been one second yet since this all started that I thought G21 would go ahead, and so in answer to your last paragraph, yes, all those other things are in doubt too.

And I say that as someone who owns a hospitality business.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

There hasn't been one second yet since this all started that I thought G21 would go ahead, and so in answer to your last paragraph, yes, all those other things are in doubt too.

And I say that as someone who owns a hospitality business.

I agree - though I hold out some misguided optimism that with furlough ending April, the legality being reviewed end of March, that there is light at end of tunnels. It's just whether it's enough time - as has been mentioned a lot in this thread, things need to be booked and paid for.

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If it’s not impossible then why is it never going to happen? 

You just need to work out how to make things run as best as possible. 

I just don't see a festival crowd doing it. 

Just in the Avalon - Fancy a beer - yea. Ok let me get a table in the bar and await to be served there with my mask on then I can get back into this rammed tent and see the last few songs.

Maybe people will drink less but just don't see it. The free flowing festival loses it free flowing feel.

No bands in bars as we all just need to sit there. Stonebridge bar all seated while Mark Ronson blasts out tunes at 12 am. 

As I say not impossible if everyone goes along with it but never going to happen as no one wants to

The biggest risk of transmission is in the household, that’s proven. What’s the one place you used to sanitise like made before Covid existed? What do you ever really touch at Glastonbury without making sure you’ve sanitised your hands afterwards?

The big risk of spread will be in tight knit crowds, sustained contact with an infected person, the risk will be surrounding those people wherever they are.

The rest of everything else at the festival will be fine, it’s really just a perception of them being unclean that makes people think it wouldn’t be, but think about you’re own behaviour while you’re there, even pre Covid.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I just don't see a festival crowd doing it. 

Just in the Avalon - Fancy a beer - yea. Ok let me get a table in the bar and await to be served there with my mask on then I can get back into this rammed tent and see the last few songs.

Maybe people will drink less but just don't see it. The free flowing festival loses it free flowing feel.

No bands in bars as we all just need to sit there. Stonebridge bar all seated while Mark Ronson blasts out tunes at 12 am. 

As I say not impossible if everyone goes along with it but never going to happen as no one wants to

This is my view, I’m optimistic and hope it happens. But as soon as I start to think of places like the Stonebridge, I just can’t see it..

Getting into some venues is bad enough in normal circumstances, but I can’t see them still filling the smaller tents to the brim with this virus so recent in memory.

Shrinel Richie in 2015 would’ve been 3 people allowed in and closed.

Just seen this somewhere else, doesn't look good for  this year if the story's correct, can't find a link to it tho 

"Just watching the news, they are doing a Q&A with Vallance."

Someone asked: If I have 2 doses of the vaccine, wear a mask, and do a lateral flow test can I visit my parent in a care home.

Vallance: No, it doesn't prevent spread, it's not going to bring cases and deaths down and we also need 70% of the population to be vaccinated for it to work, so possibly in a better position next winter.

He also went on to say vaccines are not our way out... however not socializing, washing hands, wearing masks, and social distancing are.

50 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The biggest risk of transmission is in the household, that’s proven. What’s the one place you used to sanitise like made before Covid existed? What do you ever really touch at Glastonbury without making sure you’ve sanitised your hands afterwards?

The big risk of spread will be in tight knit crowds, sustained contact with an infected person, the risk will be surrounding those people wherever they are.

The rest of everything else at the festival will be fine, it’s really just a perception of them being unclean that makes people think it wouldn’t be, but think about you’re own behaviour while you’re there, even pre Covid.

Surface sanitizing is good practice but it's been shown airborne virus is the greatest progenerator of transmission. Latest research has found viral particles can spread beyond 2m metres in a just a couple of seconds in still air from a speaking infected person.

7 minutes ago, cidy said:

Just seen this somewhere else, doesn't look good for  this year if the story's correct, can't find a link to it tho 

Someone asked: If I have 2 doses of the vaccine, wear a mask, and do a lateral flow test can I visit my parent in a care home.

Vallance: No, it doesn't prevent spread, it's not going to bring cases and deaths down and we also need 70% of the population to be vaccinated for it to work, so possibly in a better position next winter.

He also went on to say vaccines are not our way out... however not socializing, washing hands, wearing masks, and social distancing are.

Well once people have their two vaccines, they will meet up with each other. No point trying to fight that.

27 minutes ago, cidy said:

"vaccines are not our way out... however not socializing, washing hands, wearing masks, and social distancing are."

I'd be stunned if anyone with any credibility actually let alone Vallance actually said that.

Social distancing is not a way out, by any possible standard. It's something that - obviously - is a short and at a huge stretch medium term mitigation.