Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

28 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Sporting crowds can easily be size limited or have no fans at all; just like now. Festivals & gigs without near capacity attendance are not viable.

Exactly this. I don’t have a doubt in my mind the euros will go ahead. They can get their crowd by 50% and ask everyone to social distance no bother.

Festivals need people packed together sharing drinks being unhygienic. 

I know we’ve had some interesting news but I’m still firmly in the pessimistic camp. 200,000 people packed like sardines with limited access to hygiene in 150 days just seems too much of a stretch. Especially when the festival needs certainty way ahead of then to go ahead.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly this. I don’t have a doubt in my mind the euros will go ahead. They can get their crowd by 50% and ask everyone to social distance no bother.

No they can't. A crowd with every other person not there would be about 2ft of social distancing. Can't see them being able to get fans to stop singing or shouting, or to wait an hour to be asked to safely leave after the match. Can't even ask some fans to refrain from being racist.

18 minutes ago, Lycra said:

According to espn UEFA will take a decision on the summer Euro's in March. It reports full stadiums almost certainly ruled out. Options are 70% or 30% crowd limits in current host cities or of needed behind closed doors in 1 country.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-european-championship/story/4282074/clock-ticking-for-euro-2020-how-can-the-tournament-survive-the-covid-19-crisis?platform=amp

Shrug. It's within the interests of UEFA and the respective governments to try and do this thing with as many people as possible. May not be safe but the world is obviously not going to wait until everyone is vaccinated for a resumption of business as usual.

40 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

Hey Guys,

I'm not super up to date with this thread so forgive me if this has been asked, but is there a possibility they could delay Glasto till August or even September time. would/could they make it work logistically especially if rules are relaxed more and more during summer?

Already discussed and it seems very very unlikely. Mixture of many reasons but a festival of this size cannot just move like that. Its June 2021 or June 2022.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I have a date with my sister and her children for a Football BBQ on the 18th June.  In Brighton. With our mum. We haven't seen each other since 1st Jan 2020.  Much as I love Glastonbury, that's what I'm holding out for.

I think it’s very likely that will be possible! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Very interesting article and it's good to see people working on solutions. Taken at face value the report shows promise but also highlights potential issues. The biggest being it taking a morning to process 1000 tests. Hopefully when it comes to events if scale this could be solved logistically. The report was also a tad confusing as it stated there was no social distancing:  463 people attended in a theatre of 1608 capacity and they screened 1047. Can only assume number of staff & performers exceed attendees. Whilst good to see the efforts I personally believe controlling (& hopefully defeating covid) by vaccination is our best hope for the return of mass attendance events.

Edited by Lycra

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Very interesting article and it good to see people working on solutions. Taken at face value the report shows promise but also highlights potential issues. The biggest being it taking a morning to process 1000 tests. Hopefully when it comes to events if scale this could be solved logistically. The report was also a tad confusing as it stated there was no social distancing:  463 people attended in a theatre of 1608 capacity and they screened 1047. Can only assume number of staff & performers exceed attendees. 

I think there was a control group of people tested that didn’t actually go to the even. Half the participants didn’t get to see the gig! 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think there was a control group of people tested that didn’t actually go to the even. Half the participants didn’t get to see the gig! 

Yes that would make sense. It would be good to see the full report rather than just the outline journalistic spin. For instance proper scientific study would require 2 control groups: viz 1 screened but not attending & 1 not tested at all. Plus follow up testing for all groups.

16 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Very interesting article and it's good to see people working on solutions. Taken at face value the report shows promise but also highlights potential issues. The biggest being it taking a morning to process 1000 tests. Hopefully when it comes to events if scale this could be solved logistically. The report was also a tad confusing as it stated there was no social distancing:  463 people attended in a theatre of 1608 capacity and they screened 1047. Can only assume number of staff & performers exceed attendees. Whilst good to see the efforts I personally believe controlling (& hopefully defeating covid) by vaccination is our best hope for the return of mass attendance events.

Be a mixture: controlled events while vaccinations are going on

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I should have a Sonar happening the weekend before, I guess that’s slightly more likely than G to be happening. I was worried at the time the two in a row would kill me... now I’d kill for either. 

Which version? Day or night? Night is mostly indoors, I wonder how they'll manage that? Absolutely brilliant fest though