Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

Dr Michael Head, a Senior Research Fellow in Global Health at the University of Southampton, warned that the necessary level of vaccination nationwide might not be reached until the end of summer – and that would limit the chances of festivals being able to run.

“Before the government starts to open things up, and that’s including gigs and festivals, we would want to see all of the vulnerable people vaccinated; all of groups one to nine,” he said.

“We’d want a bare minimum of 50 per cent of the population to be vaccinated, but probably more like 60 per cent. That would probably take us towards the end of the summer at around August or September. I think at that point we could probably start to look at allowing gatherings to happen in larger numbers. If you were planning something very large like Glastonbury, I’d probably be waiting until next year for sure.”

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Dr Michael Head, a Senior Research Fellow in Global Health at the University of Southampton, warned that the necessary level of vaccination nationwide might not be reached until the end of summer – and that would limit the chances of festivals being able to run.

“Before the government starts to open things up, and that’s including gigs and festivals, we would want to see all of the vulnerable people vaccinated; all of groups one to nine,” he said.

“We’d want a bare minimum of 50 per cent of the population to be vaccinated, but probably more like 60 per cent. That would probably take us towards the end of the summer at around August or September. I think at that point we could probably start to look at allowing gatherings to happen in larger numbers. If you were planning something very large like Glastonbury, I’d probably be waiting until next year for sure.”

I guess if you’re reading that with just your ‘I want Glastonbury to go ahead’ hat on, What Dr Michael Head would like to see and what the government want might still be two different things.

42 minutes ago, sisco said:

Positive!

0121F84B-D07F-45A4-B2C2-0DC249B24846.png

This is what makes me think restrictions will be p much lifted by June (even if Glastonbury isn’t assured in time). Huge exports that the government wants to go ahead and a vaccine rollout that’s plugging along. There won’t be one rule for 90,000 sporting events and another for gigs despite what the “but tories hate festivals!” crowd sez.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess if you’re reading that with just your ‘I want Glastonbury to go ahead’ hat on, What Dr Michael Head would like to see and what the government want might still be two different things.

Good point.

I do feel confident the government will prioritise the economy but, rightly or wrongly, I doubt festivals come high up in the pecking order.

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Couldn't they still  it but with no live audience though?

Tbh it's not even a little journalistic scoop. UEFA have developed multiple plans for the Euros, including single host country & city, and various with & without fans scenarios. 

Just now, Lycra said:

Tbh it's not even a little journalistic scoop. UEFA have developed multiple plans for the Euros, including single host country & city, and various with & without fans scenarios. 

so the whole thing is moving to the uk then ? 🙂  !!!... It does make a lot of sense to play it all in 1 country ....

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This is what makes me think restrictions will be p much lifted by June (even if Glastonbury isn’t assured in time). Huge exports that the government wants to go ahead and a vaccine rollout that’s plugging along. There won’t be one rule for 90,000 sporting events and another for gigs despite what the “but tories hate festivals!” crowd sez.

Sporting crowds can easily be size limited or have no fans at all; just like now. Festivals & gigs without near capacity attendance are not viable.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

just had a festival organiser tell me that they've heard thru the grapevine that there may be positive news about cancellation insurance this week.

If the Govt backed insurance does become available it'll all be down to the date at which it starts. I suspect that an early spring festival,for example, wouldn't be covered. I suspect that Glastonbury would be included though.

Just now, Lycra said:

Sporting crowds can easily be size limited or have no fans at all; just like now. Festivals & gigs without near capacity attendance are not viable.

I'm talking about the Euros happening with full attendance. They won't run those events without. They would be absolutely pointless - when it's essentially a tourism thing.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm talking about the Euros happening with full attendance. They won't run those events without. They would be absolutely pointless - when it's essentially a tourism thing.

It is on UEFA's radar to run the Euro's behind doors without fans if needs be. They have developed plans to this effect.

Hey Guys,

I'm not super up to date with this thread so forgive me if this has been asked, but is there a possibility they could delay Glasto till August or even September time. would/could they make it work logistically especially if rules are relaxed more and more during summer?

25 minutes ago, Lycra said:

England hosting the Euros when no fans or very few are allowed is the best time I reckon, especially after Brexit and all the anti European rhetoric recently. I still don't think we can be trusted for these sorts of football events in normal times

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

According to espn UEFA will take a decision on the summer Euro's in March. It reports full stadiums almost certainly ruled out. Options are 70% or 30% crowd limits in current host cities or of needed behind closed doors in 1 country.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-european-championship/story/4282074/clock-ticking-for-euro-2020-how-can-the-tournament-survive-the-covid-19-crisis?platform=amp