Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

That happens yearly, it's based on ticket sales >15,000 if I remember correctly, and need to have x amount of international performers plus a few other stipulations such as been trading for 3 or more years.

Yes, but if DCMS were certain festivals aren’t going ahead they wouldn't need to do it this year.  It’s likely just background noise but a small potential positive?

3 minutes ago, SamJ said:

Yes, but if DCMS were certain festivals aren’t going ahead they wouldn't need to do it this year.  It’s likely just background noise but a small potential positive?

To be honest, I doubt that the people compiling / updating that list are close enough to policy decisions to know whether they're wasting their time or not.

• Upvote 1

I think really the best way to look at it is that, it’s a bit shit if it didnt go ahead, which is still the general mood (though it’s lifting) of a lot of people . but the insurance means that regardless , there’s hope for something in 6 months time if they’re pushing for a festival. It’s a light , if it doesn’t go ahead then the situation won’t be just cooped up indoors with nothing else to fill the gap like last year, and at this rate just seeing friends and being able to go to the pub won’t be far from the elation of being in the fields 

Just now, jonnyisRFC said:

So could we be looking at a scenario where Glastonbury will be no oversea ticket holders and British ticket holders will need to provide either proof of a vaccine or proof of a negative test within the last few days? 

Both are in theory possible, but I wouldn't like to predict it as neither would be as a result of a Festival decision.

I'm certain that Glastonbury themselves won't block overseas ticket holders - if the festival goes ahead then the only limitation on overseas people will be due to any potential travel restrictions still in place (which could be from the UK government or their own).

Requiring proof of vaccination or testing is an extra layer of complication for the festival so I think would only happen if mandated from outside.

47 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why would it have to be mostly British acts? Overseas acts can fly in without having to quarantine.

That exemption has been pulled and currently isn't valid.

Might get reinstated in the future but not the case at the moment. Imposed explicitly due to new variants and working out to respond to new and future variants. In place for at least one month as a minimum until a response has been worked out.

I flew back into the UK yesterday and there is a real sea change in compliance/enforcement at LHR compared a few months ago when it was really lax. Think someone's had a rocket up their backside.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

To be honest, I doubt that the people compiling / updating that list are close enough to policy decisions to know whether they're wasting their time or not.

The people who make the list are policy officials and any immigration rules change has to be agreed by Ministers.  They will be in the Home Office rather than DCMS but the policy officials talk across depts.  Anyway, I don’t place too much weight on it but a thing that needs to be in place is in place.

54 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why would it have to be mostly British acts? Overseas acts can fly in without having to quarantine.

It would depend on the restrictions at the time. As things stand, Performing Arts Professionals have been taken off the exemption list - so to enter the UK they would have to show they’ve had a negative COVID test and then isolate for 10 days. I can’t imagine many acts would be willing to come here under those conditions. Of course, things will probably change by June, but with new variants popping up all over the place, and travel bans being implemented as and when these are identified, I can’t see international travel getting back to anything like normal until next year at the earliest.

5 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I think people forget that Swift is a Brit now.

While I've not been stalking her (honest), I get the impression that she's been both sides of the Atlantic at various points over the last few months and that while it's reasonable to say she "lives" in London, it doesn't mean she's here all the time.

40 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It would depend on the restrictions at the time. As things stand, Performing Arts Professionals have been taken off the exemption list - so to enter the UK they would have to show they’ve had a negative COVID test and then isolate for 10 days. I can’t imagine many acts would be willing to come here under those conditions. Of course, things will probably change by June, but with new variants popping up all over the place, and travel bans being implemented as and when these are identified, I can’t see international travel getting back to anything like normal until next year at the earliest.

Only 5 days of isolation if you pay for a Covid test, I'm sure Kendrick and Diana Ross can afford to pay the £100 for the test. If they're here for a tour, like Diana Ross is, then I cannot see the 5 day isolation being a reason just to sack off the tour and the money that will come with it. These acts will be desperate to play live again, especially if your performing days are relatively numbered as will probably be the case for 76 year old Diana Ross. Agree however that for those bands flying in and out it may mean they don't make the journey. Also, as you say things will probably change by June

31 minutes ago, incident said:

While I've not been stalking her (honest), I get the impression that she's been both sides of the Atlantic at various points over the last few months and that while it's reasonable to say she "lives" in London, it doesn't mean she's here all the time.

Yeah that’s my take too. She seems to be between London, Nashville and LA. I was doing my weekly google yesterday to see if there was any new record/tour news and the gossip rags were reporting she was spotted in London.