Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Am I the only one who still think its too early to know for sure? Feel like we'll get a clearer idea at the start of March then now, especially with things generally not going well (if admittedly a little better than this time last week, where they were looking really bad).

Nobody knows anything 

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Am I the only one who still think its too early to know for sure? Feel like we'll get a clearer idea at the start of March then now, especially with things generally not going well (if admittedly a little better than this time last week, where they were looking really bad).

I think that's what everyone's saying though?

We'd all been expecting a decision to cancel this month, the fact that they appear to be pushing that cancellation decision into March is good news.

40 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The whole situation is far too fluid to even consider it at the moment but look at it this way, April past year we were told it would take years for a vaccine and here we are with 3 approved, just shows you have to wait it out a bit to see if the situation improves

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Imagine if Glastonbury said we need to reduce capacity, so it’s on all weekend but you can only come for one day (24hours) for £100. Impossible to police I know but would you go? Course you would:-)

I actually wouldn't. I don't think it's worth going all that way for one day and I'd barely get to do half the stuff I want to. I'd spend nearly as much time getting there and back!

42 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Nah I agree. Definitely too early to know for sure. They are giving themselves a bit more time, though, which could be positive.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I think it was inbetween the Jazz stage and The Glade iirc.

Fairly sure it was 2005, as Mani was on site to play with Primal Scream on the Sunday (Pyramid) 

Possibly was there in 2005 too, but that year I was backstage supervisor in the BBC compound behind the pyramid... Remember it well with all that rain 😂🌧️

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Seems like this announcement /news has been kept extremely guarded ... apart from Mel B knowing obviously ... 

I honestly believe the organisers sat there and said “that’s it decided, we’re cancelling...who do we tell first?”

“Workers?”

”charities?”

”landowners?”

”ticket holders?”

”press?”

......”get me Mel B”

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I honestly believe the organisers sat there and said “that’s it decided, we’re cancelling...who do we tell first?”

“Workers?”

”charities?”

”landowners?”

”ticket holders?”

”press?”

......”get me Mel B”

😂😂 aw I never have upvotes left when I need them!!

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Ah, was actually intrigued. Was slightly excited that the large EE eyesore near to the Beat Hotel may be disappearing.

You can probably work it out from what questions I asked and it wasn’t actually about Glastonbury but for another June festival

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

The whole situation is far too fluid to even consider it at the moment but look at it this way, April past year we were told it would take years for a vaccine and here we are with 3 approved, just shows you have to wait it out a bit to see if the situation improves

Yeah. I'm aware its been an ever-evolving situation and it'll no doubt evolve even more by the time June comes around. Maybe even by March, which I presume is when a site build needs to start. We're making a start if nothing else, though I find it easy to get carried away being negative.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Nah I agree. Definitely too early to know for sure. They are giving themselves a bit more time, though, which could be positive.

Well, I guess I saw a lot more positive thinking, even rubbing off on me considering booking flights for own holiday ideas in autumn. I guess we have to see what the picture looks like over the course of February and whether there is a big leap forward.

Ok so here's a conundrum.....let's say UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

In return Eavis has to agree for his event to be promoted by UK Govt as an example of how we've nailed Covid.

Eavis says no.  Right decision, or wrong?

Edited by parsonjack

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

In return Eavis has to agree for his event to be promoted by UK Govt as an example of how we've nailed Covid.

Lol what? 

Are you saying that the govt will nationalise Glastonbury?

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

I don’t think they’d have to actively promote Glastonbury (the government that is) The BBC would promote it to the world for them. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Lol what? 

Are you saying that the govt will nationalise Glastonbury?

I'm not saying or suggesting anything is actually afoot.....I'm merely pondering on how far in bed would Eavis get to ensure the event took place, and whether a decision to tell them to bugger off would be supported.

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I'll take no festival and a recorded fuck you from the eavises please

• Upvote 2

Even though they'd technically given themselves until March before they'll need to decide either way, surely there are some contracts that have to be put in place over the next month or two? I recall reading that the recycling crew coordinator usually hears something by the end of January in terms of locking in that service.

13 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so here's a conundrum.....let's say UK Gov wants to showcase G2021 as a blue-riband event to demonstrate to the world how we've beaten Covid and we're open for business.  Dowden offers Eavis a lifeline saying they'll not provide insurance but through Gov funded early vaccination of build crew and regular testing, and full funding and support to a testing programme for all artists and ticket holders the risk of cancellation will be greatly mitigated.  Gov also offers to cover a significant % of losses if the cancellation becomes a necessity. Without such assurances and assistance the 2021 festival is in doubt.

I enjoy the humour of this but I think the safer option is the festival doesn’t put any money down and has a back to normal event in 2022 with no restrictions.