Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

The world wants vaccines and they're in short supply. Would you prioritise UK festival goers at the expense of those in less developed countries?

As for rapid flow tests? they would be commercially acquired by the festival at cost, not by the UK government.

And yes there does have to be a vaccination schedule for those below 50 because we're seeing increasing numbers patients in the category in our hospitals. 

Do you think our government is going to give up doses its order for this country before its finished its own vaccination programme? The doses will be used in this country, its just a question on who.

Rapid flow tests were required to entry for Premier League games (Everton specifically). Not funded by the club but the government so there is already precedent set there.

I can see vaccines being used alongside testing/health declarations to get big crowds at events this summer. The Euros semis and final being at Wembley is something I can see being targeted. 

3 minutes ago, august1 said:

Do you think our government is going to give up doses its order for this country before its finished its own vaccination programme? The doses will be used in this country, its just a question on who.

Rapid flow tests were required to entry for Premier League games (Everton specifically). Not funded by the club but the government so there is already precedent set there.

I can see vaccines being used alongside testing/health declarations to get big crowds at events this summer. The Euros semis and final being at Wembley is something I can see being targeted. 

I did not imply the UK would give up doses. I asked if it was ethical to use them just so people can attend an event in the UK.

It should also be recognised that first dose roll out of phase 1 is currently scheduled for completion by end March. All this people will them need a second dose so we're looking at another 2-3 months after to complete phase 1.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

I reckon that the Beer + Cider contracts arguably count as well. And the BBC, given that they've had various stages of their own over the years.

I’m not sure the BBC pays much for the broadcasting rights. I’ve heard Michael say before that he’s had much bigger offers from the likes of Sky and has turned them down.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’d probably find another phone company willing to pay. 

Yep, wouldn’t be difficult with a brand like Glastonbury. 

But the terms could be weighted more heavily in the the favour of the new company, given the circumstances and the festivals need to generate cash. 

Not a great look having a bunch of people prioritised before another because they paid extra for an event.

Also thinking there wouldn't be public outcry that a bunch of lefty hippies got the jab first for their middle class soiree seems a touch naive ahah, imagine the mail's response.

(I don't give a shit, I want a festival and a vaccine ahah)

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yep, wouldn’t be difficult with a brand like Glastonbury. 

But the terms could be weighted more heavily in the the favour of the new company, given the circumstances and the festivals need to generate cash. 

Perhaps, but the long term benefits of being associated with Glastonbury would outweigh any short term financial gain.

2 minutes ago, waltere said:

I can by no means claim to be an expert on this matter, but I'd imagine Glasto's comparative lack of corporate sponsors/partnerships leaves them far less vulnerable on this front than plenty of other events

I don't think the festival industry generally is all that reliant on big sponsorships, at least not in the past few years. These days where you do see a brand at a (non-Glastonbury) festival, it tends to be fairly localised to the festival itself - maybe a stage sponsorship, or something like that giant cube thing that Samsung had at several events a couple years back.

Going back 15 years ago you had loads more of it - Reading and Leeds were branded as The Carling Weekend, and V and TITP were considered to be the other "majors".

I'm pretty sure that at the time the Carling sponsorship of R+L ended, Melvin said something along the lines of he wasn't going to look for a new title sponsor because the money it brought in was smaller than most people would expect and not worth it.

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Not a great look having a bunch of people prioritised before another because they paid extra for an event.

It's nonsense, and would open the floodgates for all kinds of people to get priority vaccinations because they'd like to go to the British Open, Epsom Derby or the Henley Regatta or whatever. Let's leave it to the NHS to decide who gets it when.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't think the festival industry generally is all that reliant on big sponsorships, at least not in the past few years. These days where you do see a brand at a (non-Glastonbury) festival, it tends to be fairly localised to the festival itself - maybe a stage sponsorship, or something like that giant cube thing that Samsung had at several events a couple years back.

Going back 15 years ago you had loads more of it - Reading and Leeds were branded as The Carling Weekend, and V and TITP were considered to be the other "majors".

I'm pretty sure that at the time the Carling sponsorship of R+L ended, Melvin said something along the lines of he wasn't going to look for a new title sponsor because the money it brought in was smaller than most people would expect and not worth it.

You’re absolutely right. If corporate sponsorship was lucrative most festivals would have all their stages named - the Budweiser/Xbox/Nando’s/Lynx Africa Stage or whatnot. There would be zero choice in terms of booze or food and you’d get promotional people on the ground getting in your face trying to sign you up for some shit. But you never really see any of that, even at the really corporate festivals like BST the sponsorship isn’t particularly invasive.

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’d probably find another phone company willing to pay. 

Apparently EE don’t pay - they just provide infrastructure and coverage in return for exposure.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

You’re absolutely right. If corporate sponsorship was lucrative most festivals would have all their stages named - the Budweiser/Xbox/Nando’s/Lynx Africa Stage or whatnot. There would be zero choice in terms of booze or food and you’d get promotional people on the ground getting in your face trying to sign you up for some shit. But you never really see any of that, even at the really corporate festivals like BST the sponsorship isn’t particularly invasive.

Probably because in your face sponsorship just makes you hate the brand.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

All gonna be fine

20210116_221120.jpg

The original goal was 1 million a week and now they are trying to hit 4-5m a week?!  Senior figures are optimistic... This just screams PR from this government. No substance just vibes 

This really needs to stop. You haven't reached your initial target stop spouting garbage of hitting a new target 5 times larger. 

Dec-2020-Govt-Performance.png?resize=1166%2C765&ssl=1

What's really interesting about this graph is that there are no countries that have done really well with their economy but messed up on Covid deaths.

In other words (and this is aimed at the anti-lockdown twats), it's not a trade-off and by saving lives, you also save your economy.