Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

One other positive is that Glastonbury obviously see the same news as us. 

The more they see news about positive vaccination numbers and projections of 30mil+ by mid march the more likely they are to push on.  

I imagine they've a series of review points ahead of a decision date.If the vaccine roll out was like it is in France then they might have made a call at one of those review points, but every extra million vaccinated could push them to hold out a bit longer.

30 mil by mid March could mean everyone done at 1 dose by end of June....

Need hit 3mil per week from now on to hit this. A tall ask given the current availability of vaccine. There's a distinct difference between number doses in the country and number quality approved & released for use. 

5 hours ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

They did something similar with their 100,000 tests a day- everyone thought it couldn’t be done but it was well in hand in reality (partly because they just sent a load of tests out by post) but still managed to crow it as a “THEY SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE!” triumph.

Well no, they didn't hit 100,000 a day at the end of that month and didn't hit it for a very long time afterwards.

This time, it looks like they're really going to do it for realsies.

With the rate the 1st doses are increases (dashboard for 13th says 278,000) then its clear the target will be smashed if they can keep up momentum.

I suspect earlier comments about setting a modest target may be true and that the government are incredibly confident of exceeding it. I do feel a little more hopeful about Glastonbury now but there is still a huge amount that could go wrong before then and it is still a race against the clock.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Need hit 3mil per week from now on to hit this. A tall ask given the current availability of vaccine. There's a distinct difference between number doses in the country and number quality approved & released for use. 

Let's see. If they approve J and J and have that ready for mid feb as well...

11 hours ago, henry bear said:

It’s not just about vaccinating us Brits though. Whilst it will be great to be heading towards some kind of normal here, it won’t be the same everywhere else. Do you want a second rate Glastonbury where all the acts are British, because we vaccinated quicker than most other countries?

currently the borders are open to anyone with a negative test.

I can't see that changing, so international acts are available.

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

currently the borders are open to anyone with a negative test.

I can't see that changing, so international acts are available.

Borders are open but tests and quarantine regulations only act as a barrier to travel. For the smaller acts (and even some larger ones) this may put them off touring abroad. The cost of a PCR test is one barrier (My sister's recent test cost more than the flight + airport parking). Yes we have cheaper lateral flow tests but there seems to be a growing movement against them due to their inaccuracy. 

20 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

The first shoots of optimism have appeared deep down in my soul this morning 

Be interesting to see how the numbers of vaccinations given varies by day. Will be get a drop off at the weekend followed by mid-week surges as reporting catches up 🤔

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Borders are open but tests and quarantine regulations only act as a barrier to travel. For the smaller acts (and even some larger ones) this may put them off touring abroad. The cost of a PCR test is one barrier (My sister's recent test cost more than the flight + airport parking). Yes we have cheaper lateral flow tests but there seems to be a growing movement against them due to their inaccuracy. 

yep, but how that pans out in reality is probably with big acts flying in (particularly if they have other dates), but not smaller acts where the costs and the risks don't make it viable.

And don't forget, it's quite possible that attitudes to travel will be very different in the summer to right now. We're currently in the worst of it, and in summer we shouldn't be ... and the average UK peep and the average EU country will be desperate for holidays to happen.

I had a dream I had my vaccine last night, really odd dream. I went to one of those out of town outdoor shopping centres, queued up for ages then went into a toilet to wait for one of the cubicles to be free. Went into a cubicle and there was what looked like a vaccine poking out of the wall, I pulled it out and a hatch flew up with a nurse behind it and she administered it. Then I went round saying OMG I’m only 39 but I’ve already had the vaccine, everything is going to be ok! I actually remember in the dream I came on here to post it to say that Glastonbury was definitely going ahead.

Anyway, I’ve actually woken up today feeling quite under the weather, really achey and just generally feeling shit. Make of that what you will.

What this all means for Glastonbury’s chances I really can’t say.

6 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Yes we have cheaper lateral flow tests but there seems to be a growing movement against them due to their inaccuracy. 

Tests to be accepted -

All forms of polymerise chain reaction or PCR tests will be accepted, the government says, as will other tests with at least 97% specificity and 80% sensitivity.

This includes some rapid lateral flow tests and Lamp saliva swab tests, both of which can give a result in under an hour.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I had a dream I had my vaccine last night, really odd dream. I went to one of those out of town outdoor shopping centres, queued up for ages then went into a toilet to wait for one of the cubicles to be free. Went into a cubicle and there was what looked like a vaccine poking out of the wall, I pulled it out and a hatch flew up with a nurse behind it and she administered it. Then I went round saying OMG I’m only 39 but I’ve already had the vaccine, everything is going to be ok! I actually remember in the dream I came on here to post it to say that Glastonbury was definitely going ahead.

Anyway, I’ve actually woken up today feeling quite under the weather, really achey and just generally feeling shit. Make of that what you will.

It just sounds like a dream about a typical night in the SEC ... and the next morning 🙂 

• Upvote 1

I’m getting twangs of optimism in the veins this morning

I’m in my 20’s so not expecting the vaccine before the winter really , what can we expect should over 50’s all be vaccinated and Glasto Go ahead for those without the vaccine?  Could it be an “at your own risk” kind of job? 

Edit: obviously no one knows the answer but just wondering if there’s any theories or suggestions floating about 

Edited by Obiginnaw

4 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Tests to be accepted -

All forms of polymerise chain reaction or PCR tests will be accepted, the government says, as will other tests with at least 97% specificity and 80% sensitivity.

This includes some rapid lateral flow tests and Lamp saliva swab tests, both of which can give a result in under an hour.

UK Government sets the test standards, as do governments around the world, it's up to the title test to meet that standard. The issue specific to LAMP and Lateral Flow is most do not meet the spec. For instance the lateral flow test widely used in the UK is now considered only 40-60% accurate. The inaccuracy with the current crop of rapid covid tests is increasingly being recognised around the world.

2 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

I’m in my 20’s so not expecting the vaccine before the winter really , what can we expect should over 50’s all be vaccinated and Glasto Go ahead for those without the vaccine?  Could it be an “at your own risk” kind of job? 

Edit: obviously no one knows the answer but just wondering if there’s any theories or suggestions floating about 

Nobody knows for sure, and it depends if the answer is coming from a politician or a scientist. Whitty has repeatedly said it will become like flu with some deaths every year, and once deaths fall in line with flu then it will become a political decision about what to do next. Unless our government completely change their approach I’m inclined to think they’ll open stuff up well before everyone has had a vaccine.

When it comes to Festivals then it depends if we still need to social distance in pubs, at sporting events etc. If we don’t, but festivals still can’t go ahead then it will purely because of optics rather than risk imo. Every pub in the country open 7 days a week every day of the year would be a bigger risk of spread amongst the unvaccinated than festivals would without any social distancing, so I don’t see how you can logically allow certain parts of society to function but not others, you’re just pushing the risk around.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Attendance is always at you're own risk. The problem for GF & other festivals is they will need to meet the health & safety protection rules of the day in order to go ahead. So if the rules state social distancing and place attendance limits festivals will have to comply in order to run.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Even for the 2022 festival I think testing of international arrivals will be a thing. 

yeah, could be - although I don't think it'll be a big deal as hopefully widespread covid won't be a thing by then.

But if it still is then it's likely to be something we're learning to live with so things won't be too restrictive on international travel (perhaps negative test required but no quarantine on arrival).

Don't forget, even NZ is saying it'll allow covid into the country once vaccinations have been rolled out there.

48 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You dreamt you were in a public toilet cubicle where something was poking through the wall?

I see..

• Upvote 1