Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, Matt42 said:

But they can reopen the economy, have sport return, open pubs etc and keep music events closed.

Cheltenham can go ahead and Glastonbury can be closed. That’s just the way it is.

Because that’s the direction the government is going. They can re open the economy and keep events closed. I think they’ve put music events / concerts in the list of non-essential public gatherings. Sports events can go ahead with a reduced crowd but I think their strategy is that live events are too much of a risk when large sections of the population do not have access to a vaccine.

Live events were allowed with the same restrictions as sports events around the same time. Many promoter friends were running socially distanced comedy nights and a venue near me did a few socially distanced gigs. The problem is they're not economically viable. It's not like sport where the matches have to be played anyway. You need to pay performers so running at 30% capacity (or less if you were previously a standing venue) doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So it’s a kind of double bluff by the government, maybe. Seemingly over promise, play it down, but actually the over promise was actually an under promise?

Kind of makes sense regarding supplies, also it makes sense to play it down to an extent to us public. Ideally I guess they want to pretend they aren’t doing so much (so we all stay compliant) and turn round and say we’ve actually done loads.

Honestly, I'm not sure they're smart enough to be that strategic about it. The 13 million or whatever it was figure most likely came as a result of what they estimated the supply would be - if they're now looking to go higher, then it's because they've become more confident in the supply.

I do believe that many of the places delivering the vaccine today could increase throughput significantly, if they had enough doses available to them. That's without taking into account new capacity created by adding new sites, Pharmacies, etc, and before they think about trying to extend hours at existing locations. That's certainly the case around here, and I doubt that we're significantly different than most other parts of the country.

Basically, to date supply has consistently been the biggest bottleneck, and even if it increases dramatically it's likely to remain so for the foreseeable future as more sites are opened up.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So it’s a kind of double bluff by the government, maybe. Seemingly over promise, play it down, but actually the over promise was actually an under promise?

Kind of makes sense regarding supplies, also it makes sense to play it down to an extent to us public. Ideally I guess they want to pretend they aren’t doing so much (so we all stay compliant) and turn round and say we’ve actually done loads.

They did something similar with their 100,000 tests a day- everyone thought it couldn’t be done but it was well in hand in reality (partly because they just sent a load of tests out by post) but still managed to crow it as a “THEY SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE!” triumph.

One other positive is that Glastonbury obviously see the same news as us. 

The more they see news about positive vaccination numbers and projections of 30mil+ by mid march the more likely they are to push on.  

I imagine they've a series of review points ahead of a decision date.If the vaccine roll out was like it is in France then they might have made a call at one of those review points, but every extra million vaccinated could push them to hold out a bit longer.

30 mil by mid March could mean everyone done at 1 dose by end of June....

A perspective from Manchester: the vaccination centres are running well, we are processing each batch of 975 Pfizer vaccines over 2 days in each of the medium sized centres, of which every week there seems to be a new one. In 6 shifts I’ve seen around 4,000 people get their jabs. We reduced the planned time for each jab from 10 mins at the pilot to 6 mins now. It’s pretty flat out and from what l can observe there’s a huge dedication and effort going into it. 

I’m hoping to get into the mega site at the Etihad soon so can see how that’s going.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It’s not just about vaccinating us Brits though. Whilst it will be great to be heading towards some kind of normal here, it won’t be the same everywhere else. Do you want a second rate Glastonbury where all the acts are British, because we vaccinated quicker than most other countries?

If it's that or no Glastonbury? Yes. I absolutely do.

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It’s not just about vaccinating us Brits though. Whilst it will be great to be heading towards some kind of normal here, it won’t be the same everywhere else. Do you want a second rate Glastonbury where all the acts are British, because we vaccinated quicker than most other countries?

But it's not like other countries aren't vaccinating as well? 

And the millionaire foreign headliners will probably be able to pay for their own private tests. 

In fact if it went well we could use it as a draw, visit the U.K. play Glastonbury and we'll give you a vaccine. 😛

23 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Rather that than no Glastonbury at all.

35 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Yes.

45 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Glastonbury Brextival.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

O.k so I got to thinking what if Glastonbury was British/Irish acts only. 

Based on a cursory search of Wikipedia and picking the first nationality I saw*, 2019 would have looked like this. 

Still worth going?

*Yes there are quite of flaws in this methodology

sketch-1610658548071.jpg

But they would have booked more UK acts for the gaps with all the money they didn't give Janet Jackson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

There are many festivals which have mostly British acts anyway so I think one year of Glasto having the vast majority of its act British would be a good compromise simply if it allowed it to go ahead 

• Upvote 1