Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Part of the issue in the UK is that it's being driven nationally. Australia largely devolved the issue - in terms of day to day living - to the State and Territory governments, who in turn often ran parallel restrictions for metro and regional areas. That decentralisation made it easy to know who to listen to and easy to pay no attention to whatever other restrictions were happening in other parts of the country. The national leaders didn't butt in to any of that and concentrated on budgetary and international border stuff.

The UK can't do that because it's too small and not enough power is devolved to local councils, so in maintaining different level of restrictions for different parts of the country, they've sewn confusion and frustration, all far too late in the process. Now they're stuck in a perpetual loop of damage limitation, with nobody happy.

Anyway - I feel I'm diverting the point of this thread!

Yes I agree, I live in South Oxfordshire and we had a small point in December where we were Tier 2 and neighbouring Berkshire was Tier 4. A lot of people go into each others county for work or whatever else on a daily basis...... and a lot of people just ignored the different restrictions  and carried on as normal (reported on the news and I know some people who did it)

It doesn’t help that every shop has found an excuse to be ‘essential’ and it’s just allowed. We also seem to have a lot of idiots who spout this Magna Carta shit which is eaten up by Twitter sheep. Not to mention our press actively report and spout outrage about the police dealing with breaches in a negative manner.

We are just an extremely self-entitled nation at times.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Possibly, but I do think there is that thing where some British people just won't/don't like/can't be bothered to comply with something.  

I only have to look out of my window to see the amount of cars driving past to see that. 

Definitely this. Not to stereotype or offend but the people I know of and have seen on social media platforms alluding to the fact that all of this is fake and there's an ulterior motive to it all, "marching" against lockdowns, masks etc. all seem to be the people who couldn't pass their GCSE's when they where in school. This is just first hand experience. 

It seems as if these same people now seem to believe they're smarter or "on to" the government and higher ups because they've watched a 7 minute conspiracy video on youtube. People just can't seem to accept anything at face value, and as you said, will do anything and everything not to do something that they're being advised on. I know and have seen people who went to the extent of arguing that they're exempt so they didn't have to wear a mask for 2 minutes in Tesco, purely for the sake of them feeling like they are beating the system, or cannot be controlled and told what to do. 

Sad thing is that a lot of younger people who may not be the best academically or fall into the wrong crowds, or are just born into and are from certain backgrounds are easily influenced, so when I'm seeing 30+ year old parents on social media telling their 4 year old that Bill Gates is trying to control us all through a microchip and that's why they aren't taking the virus, you wonder what you're up against. 

The pinnacle of it was a march I seen in Liverpool from November where there were crowds of men and women booing a pop up test centre calling them disgraceful and scum, purely because they were working in a test centre. I'd like to hope we get through this sooner rather than later so further divides aren't established. 

Haven't posted on here for a while but aside from the obvious tragedy of so many deaths and pain families are going through, the sheer amount of empty heads who have come crawling out of the woodwork over this last 10 months has scared me. 

I also think its very clear that a lot of people need to lay off smoking weed, taking mushrooms and smoking DMT. 

• Upvote 3

I was meant to be doing a Moonwalk last year, it was postponed to this year and today I've had an email saying it's going to be a virtual event. Sorry but if a couple of thousand people aren't going to be able to walk outside in May then there's no way a festival as big as Glastonbury can go ahead in June. 

6 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Definitely this. Not to stereotype or offend but the people I know of and have seen on social media platforms alluding to the fact that all of this is fake and there's an ulterior motive to it all, "marching" against lockdowns, masks etc. all seem to be the people who couldn't pass their GCSE's when they where in school. This is just first hand experience. 

It seems as if these same people now seem to believe they're smarter or "on to" the government and higher ups because they've watched a 7 minute conspiracy video on youtube. People just can't seem to accept anything at face value, and as you said, will do anything and everything not to do something that they're being advised on. I know and have seen people who went to the extent of arguing that they're exempt so they didn't have to wear a mask for 2 minutes in Tesco, purely for the sake of them feeling like they are beating the system, or cannot be controlled and told what to do. 

Sad thing is that a lot of younger people who may not be the best academically or fall into the wrong crowds, or are just born into and are from certain backgrounds are easily influenced, so when I'm seeing 30+ year old parents on social media telling their 4 year old that Bill Gates is trying to control us all through a microchip and that's why they aren't taking the virus, you wonder what you're up against. 

The pinnacle of it was a march I seen in Liverpool from November where there were crowds of men and women booing a pop up test centre calling them disgraceful and scum, purely because they were working in a test centre. I'd like to hope we get through this sooner rather than later so further divides aren't established. 

Haven't posted on here for a while but aside from the obvious tragedy of so many deaths and pain families are going through, the sheer amount of empty heads who have come crawling out of the woodwork over this last 10 months has scared me. 

I also think its very clear that a lot of people need to lay off smoking weed, taking mushrooms and smoking DMT. 

I've got a friend*, was saying she wont take the vaccine because it makes you infertile. Her source? The taxi driver.

Another friend*, some druggo hippie who lives in a van, posted on her instagram story. She was visibly upset and going on a rant about how she tried to go into a shop but the (young) employee at the door told her she needs a mask or an exemption card. So she kicks off at him demanding to speak to a manager and saying she doesn't need any of that and its discrimination and against the law to not let her in. Like Jesus Christ, why waste all that time when you could just put on a mask and be done with it?

People like that send me

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Having visited Australia a lot on holiday, would you say as well that their general approach to health and safety and protecting its citizens has helped?

By that I mean, they were first to ban cigarette branding on boxes, moving gambling machines out of pubs, bottle shops, strict drinking laws, daylight saving rules etc.

Possibly. I think it's more the culture in Australia. They have a reputation for being no-nonsense, take-no-shit types but the reality is they're quite obedient and the streak of 'doing right by others' runs strong, with a small but notable exception of people.

53 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

One of my old schoolfriends who's a lovely guy, but a bit simple was posting all sorts of consiparasy videos from YouTube at the start of the pandemic and when quizzed on what he was posting by other friends and then myself he had no answer because he didn't actually really understand fully what he was linking to.  It was like he didn't want to comply with the lockdown so this was his only link to prove that it wasn't real to excuse his behaviour.

I actually deactivated my Facebook account not long after as I was fed up of people ranting about things they clearly had no real grasp on.  They then used this 'conspirasy' to excuse themselves from following the guidelines/rules saying it was all a fake/hoax/money making exersice. 

Slightly away from the point but this whole pandemic, plus Brexit and the Trump business almost running pararel to each other has made me dislike a lot more people I know due to uninformed social media posts and I've also realised just how much more selfish and racist we are as a nation.   (Interestinly Jon Sopel has just been on 5 Live saying how the Trump stuff has exposed the US for being even more racist than originally thought).  Twitter used to be my safehaven away from Facebook Mums and simple people but now they've migrated over there too!

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Back on topic, if 30m+ people are vaccinated by mid march (3.8m a week according to The Times)  its making me a lot more confident that Glastonbury 2021 will happen....

Is that the new aspiring number for vaccination numbers per week? Do you have a link to the article if so? Thanks in advance 🙂

1 minute ago, discgoesmic said:

Is that the new aspiring number for vaccination numbers per week? Do you have a link to the article if so? Thanks in advance 🙂

Ministers are preparing to more than double the vaccination rate to half a million a day next week under plans to dramatically ramp up delivery.

Confidential government figures which were published by the Scottish government suggest that the government is preparing to vaccinate as many as 3.8 million people next week.

It would eclipse the 2.6 million people who have received the vaccine over the past five weeks amid reports that Boris Johnson was frustrated by the slow pace of the rollout. The most recent daily vaccination figure was 207,661.

The figures suggest that the government is on target to deliver on its pledge of vaccinating 15 million of those who are most at risk by February 15. It means that all of the at risk groups could be vaccinated by mid-March.

There was fury in government yesterday after Scotland published figures showing the number of vaccines that will be deployed on a weekly basis.

The government has repeatedly refused to publish the figures amid concerns that other nations will “gazump” the UK and put pressure on vaccine manufacturers if they know how much is being deployed.

“It’s insane,” a government source said. “The figures were given to the Scottish government in strictest confidence. It could undermine the entire programme.”

The figures, which have since been deleted, suggest that Scotland is due to receive 309,382 doses next week, equating to 3.8 million for the whole of the UK. By the end of February, production will have ramped up even further with Scotland receiving 443,531 doses a week, suggesting 5.4 million will be delivered to the UK.

A government source described the figures set out in the Scotland document as a “reasonable best case scenario”.

“These figures suggest that we are easily going to meet our target, but there isn’t a lot of headroom there,” the source said.

“It’s a competitive market and things can go wrong in the production process.”

The figures suggest there are two weeks when there is no Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that is available, which a source said was due to supply issues.

AstraZeneca told MPs that it expects to be able to deliver 2 million doses a week to the UK by mid-February, which it described as a “conservative” estimate.

However government sources said that AstraZeneca had previously suggested that it could hit the 2 million a week target by mid to late January.

Mr Johnson told the Commons liaison committee yesterday: “This government has secured a bigger supply of vaccines . . . than virtually any other country in the world. So we have a big, big stream of vaccines coming down the track but there is also a programme to accelerate the delivery of the Oxford vaccine, the remaining Pfizer vaccine is being brought forward, the Moderna vaccine as well.”

32 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Back on topic, if 30m+ people are vaccinated by mid march (3.8m a week according to The Times)  its making me a lot more confident that Glastonbury 2021 will happen....

Agreed. Although 3.8m a week seems far too high, even if they fail to do that and do 3m it’s still a pretty impressive rate!

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Agreed. Although 3.8m a week seems far too high, even if they fail to do that and do 3m it’s still a pretty impressive rate!

I must admit that I thought it was very high to get done as that's 540,000+ a day and that's a lot of admin/centres/general organisation.

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So they did 1.2m last week, how many are we on for this week? With more and more centres/pharmacies opening up, seems like jumping up to 500K a day might be doable depending on supply.

Just now, Andy0808 v5 said:

I would say the main issue will arise when you have people going for their second jabs and people going for their first. Surely will slow the process slightly and bound to cause confusion for this government.

the hope is that vaccine supply at that point will be much greater so although it will slow things ... the greater amount won't make it to much 

So it’s a kind of double bluff by the government, maybe. Seemingly over promise, play it down, but actually the over promise was actually an under promise?

Kind of makes sense regarding supplies, also it makes sense to play it down to an extent to us public. Ideally I guess they want to pretend they aren’t doing so much (so we all stay compliant) and turn round and say we’ve actually done loads.