Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Festivals can’t go ahead until every adult has been offered the chance to have a vaccine.

But why? You'd think this government would want to go back to normal as soon as is reasonably possible. Continued restrictions when the vulnerable groups are already vaccinated will likely do more damage than good

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I agree, its fucking boring (and irritating)

It's just trolling really but high-effort trolling.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I used to make this argument but I think we’ve had our answer in the past few days.

Festivals can’t go ahead until every adult has been offered the chance to have a vaccine. It’s not everyone being vaccinated, but everyone has the opportunity to get one.

We are going for another year of no gigs. October 2021 at the earliest (which is when the gov have promised that all adults will have a chance at vaccination).

What's made you change ur mind to think every adult will need to be offered it?

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's just trolling really but high-effort trolling.

He / she ? Do we know for sure used to be caged inside the weather thread ... we can’t have any weather trolling ..so now it’s moved on to festival trolling ... makes me yawn too ... don’t get the point in winding up people and trying to spoil any small glimmers of hope especially in times like this ... I try to stick as closely as possible to mantra of being nice to people and giving people a chance despite being on the internet ... 

26 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Thing is, how much of the population needs to be vaccinated before the festival is okay to happen? If their target is the first 4 groups (around 15m people) to be done in February, then surely by June they'll have vaccinated even more of the priority groups.

So if enough are vaccinated and hospitalisations have dropped significantly, then couldnt the festival still happen?

You may have answered yourself. There are a few ifs in your statement and I am not sure the festival will be able put up hundreds of thousand of  pounds and sign contracts on ifs

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

But why? You'd think this government would want to go back to normal as soon as is reasonably possible. Continued restrictions when the vulnerable groups are already vaccinated will likely do more damage than good

But they can reopen the economy, have sport return, open pubs etc and keep music events closed.

Cheltenham can go ahead and Glastonbury can be closed. That’s just the way it is.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Because that’s the direction the government is going. They can re open the economy and keep events closed. I think they’ve put music events / concerts in the list of non-essential public gatherings. Sports events can go ahead with a reduced crowd but I think their strategy is that live events are too much of a risk when large sections of the population do not have access to a vaccine.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

He / she ? Do we know for sure used to be caged inside the weather thread ... we can’t have any weather trolling ..so now it’s moved on to festival trolling ... makes me yawn too ... don’t get the point in winding up people and trying to spoil any small glimmers of hope especially in times like this ... I try to stick as closely as possible to mantra of being nice to people and giving people a chance despite being on the internet ... 

You've never met @The Nal?

😮

Ben

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I used to make this argument but I think we’ve had our answer in the past few days.

Festivals can’t go ahead until every adult has been offered the chance to have a vaccine. It’s not everyone being vaccinated, but everyone has the opportunity to get one.

We are going for another year of no gigs. October 2021 at the earliest (which is when the gov have promised that all adults will have a chance at vaccination).

That’s extremely unlikely to be true. If that’s the case then we’ll need to remain in lockdown until we’ve all been vaccinated. You’ll have no more chance of getting Covid on an individual basis at Glastonbury than you would at a mates house, at work, in the pub. If Covid is circulating then it’s circulating, why would everyone need to be vaccinated for a festival to happen, when you could literally catch it anywhere and most people don’t actually go to festivals? 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

You've never met @The Nal?

😮

Ben

I saw Nal once at the meet. It was either 2017 or 2019, so heatstroke-inducing temperatures.   I avoided him because even then there was a very small, very localised, thundercloud above him.

I made eye contact too long and got struck by lightning. Never again.

Edited by Quark

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Those of us who have chatted to the Nal at the meets know. Top person indeed. The forum needs Nals to provide the smiles.

• Upvote 1