Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

19 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Sorry to be negative but looking at pictures of Glastonbury's past I can't see there being any chance of the festival this year. Imagine the government went its fine for 200k people to gather to on the farm, packed like sardines in front of the pyramid stage with limited sanitisation around the festival. 

For it to go ahead you need social distancing to be completely over meaning pubs , restaurants, football grounds and night clubs are all open like it was the summer of 2019. The only way I see this happening is if the government is comfortable with the first 8 priority groups (i.e over 50) are vaccinated.

There is a possibility that the government will be comfortable with that as they put the economy first.

I cant such much social distancing around Brothers Bar once  the sound system kicks in and we have been on Pear Cider all day !

20 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Sorry to be negative but looking at pictures of Glastonbury's past I can't see there being any chance of the festival this year. Imagine the government went its fine for 200k people to gather to on the farm, packed like sardines in front of the pyramid stage with limited sanitisation around the festival. 

For it to go ahead you need social distancing to be completely over meaning pubs , restaurants, football grounds and night clubs are all open like it was the summer of 2019. The only way I see this happening is if the government is comfortable with the first 8 priority groups (i.e over 50) are vaccinated.

There is a possibility that the government will be comfortable with that as they put the economy first.

Yeah if I could put on a scale what the likelihood is of the festival I’d honestly put it at 0%. I think the events industry is going to see another year off. If things continue as they are I think we will be out of the woods by October 2021.

This summer I could see travel, pubs, small gatherings, and probably sporting events going ahead - but mass 200,000 gatherings will not go ahead.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps we will have a more clearer picture this time next month...but I am just not seeing things change enough for me to think events of Glastonbury's scale will be allowed by June.

The only way I can currently see it happening is if they postponed it until later this summer (August or even September). 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

That's my take as well. When you look at where Glastonbury is on the spectrum of transmission and risk, within the context of restrictions, almost everything else has to open incrementally before it can happen, and if it does happen it would be without adherence to any COVID restrictions whatsoever. Not only that, but GFL have to be confident enough they won't lose out financially by (let's say) March, which arrives in less than 7 weeks time.

36 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Except there's one thing they put before the economy, and that's power. Public opinion is strongly against the government at this point, and I think the optics of a lefty festival like Glastonbury going ahead while people and businesses are still picking up the pieces from the COVID fallout would trump any notion that Glastonbury would become a 'back to normal' landmark. People will still be hurting. It would look bad and cost the government votes.

Edited by kalifire

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That's my take as well. When you look at where Glastonbury is on the spectrum of transmission and risk, within the context of restrictions, almost everything else has to open incrementally before it can happen, and if it does happen it would be without adherence to any COVID restrictions whatsoever. Not only that, but GFL have to be confident enough they won't lose out financially by (let's say) March, which arrives in less than 7 weeks time.

Except there's one thing they put before the economy, and that's power. Public opinion is strongly against the government at this point, and I think the optics of a lefty festival like Glastonbury going ahead while people and businesses are still picking up the pieces from the COVID fallout would trump any notion that Glastonbury would become a 'back to normal' landmark. People will still be hurting. It would look bad and cost the government votes.

Definitely not the case. the polls say that support for the govt is staying relatively high.

I personally think the govt and tory backbenchers want restrictions gone asap. The optics will be FIRST IN THE WORLD FOR VACCINATIONS AND FIRST IN THE WORLD TO BE BEAT THE VIRUS

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

IMO its not about festivals as such but its about everything else that falls roughly under the same umbrella. Such as football matches, rugby matches, conferences, horse races, trade fairs, etc. All of these are thousands of people in enclosed spaces inside or out and they are massive. One million people must attend football matches every weekend alone so 200,000 in a field isnt that different.

The pressure from sports bodies and clubs etc will be massive. Glastonbury and the like will hopefully benefit from that.

Granted glastonbury requires much more planning in advance.

I remain hopeful yet skeptical.

Thing is, how much of the population needs to be vaccinated before the festival is okay to happen? If their target is the first 4 groups (around 15m people) to be done in February, then surely by June they'll have vaccinated even more of the priority groups.

So if enough are vaccinated and hospitalisations have dropped significantly, then couldnt the festival still happen?

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why do you do weird stuff like this? Strange amount of effort to go to just to briefly get people's hopes up and then let them down.

It usually works the other way. Typically it’s a huge disappointment, then you realise who posted it and by the end of his post you’re actually quite elated that it was just a bullshitter posting his bullshit. Scientifically, nobody has been able to penetrate The Mind Of The Nal. It’s a true enigma.

Edited by kalifire

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Thing is, how much of the population needs to be vaccinated before the festival is okay to happen? If their target is the first 4 groups (around 15m people) to be done in February, then surely by June they'll have vaccinated even more of the priority groups.

So if enough are vaccinated and hospitalisations have dropped significantly, then couldnt the festival still happen?

I used to make this argument but I think we’ve had our answer in the past few days.

Festivals can’t go ahead until every adult has been offered the chance to have a vaccine. It’s not everyone being vaccinated, but everyone has the opportunity to get one.

We are going for another year of no gigs. October 2021 at the earliest (which is when the gov have promised that all adults will have a chance at vaccination).

7 minutes ago, Boilingtent said:

IMO its not about festivals as such but its about everything else that falls roughly under the same umbrella. Such as football matches, rugby matches, conferences, horse races, trade fairs, etc. All of these are thousands of people in enclosed spaces inside or out and they are massive. One million people must attend football matches every weekend alone so 200,000 in a field isnt that different.

The pressure from sports bodies and clubs etc will be massive. Glastonbury and the like will hopefully benefit from that.

Granted glastonbury requires much more planning in advance.

I remain hopeful yet skeptical.

And the tube system in London ... twice per day packed with people ... inside ... 

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Sure.....if the June situation was guaranteed, which it isn't.  It's all a risk management thing, and with no insurance against liability for costs if the festival was then canned it's whether GFL have the appetite to risk losses that could see them fold for good.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I used to make this argument but I think we’ve had our answer in the past few days.

Festivals can’t go ahead until every adult has been offered the chance to have a vaccine. It’s not everyone being vaccinated, but everyone has the opportunity to get one.

We are going for another year of no gigs. October 2021 at the earliest (which is when the gov have promised that all adults will have a chance at vaccination).

Depressing. 😞