Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s all very well, but once deaths are cut significantly there will be large swathes of the population who will be happy to take the risk of ending up in hospital, because on an individual basis the risk will be extremely low and people’s freedoms will have been curtailed for nearly 18 months.

The risk of hospitalisation of under 50s and the subsequent strain on the NHS is completely separate to people’s own willingness to continue to care about that on an individual basis. 

There will always be individuals willing not to comply with rules. That is their choice. However it is government who sets the rules and if it deems it appropriate  to continue with restrictions, social distancing, masks, closed pubs etc, it will. And as it is doing, it enforce with fines if it needs to do so.

And when you think about it the option to not comply has been greatly diminished by restrictions by on business, shops, pubs, cinemas, theatres, sporting attendance, festival organisers etc.

Finally people need to realise that compliance actually provides the quickest route back to normality. Lots of individuals not complying will only serve to promote and extend the length of the pandemic.

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

There will always be individuals willing not to comply with rules. That is their choice. However it is government who sets the rules and if it deems it appropriate  to continue with restrictions, social distancing, masks, closed pubs etc, it will. And as it is doing, it enforce with fines if it needs to do so.

And when you think about it the option to not comply has been greatly diminished by restrictions by on business, shops, pubs, cinemas, theatres, sporting attendance, festival organisers etc.

Finally people need to realise that compliance actually provides the quickest route back to normality. Lots of individuals not complying will only serve to promote and extend the length of the pandemic.

Then they need to give specific parameters and deadlines. It being open ended isn't helping compliance 

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I’m assuming that if, for example, we had vaccinated 20mil but that another 10m have had the virus already we can’t count them as there isn’t enough evidence to show how strong the antibodies are or that you can’t get it a second time? 

Essentially the only figure that will count towards immunity is the vaccination figure?  

You'll be fine I'd say. T cell responses and the anamnestic response where antibodies can be ramped up quickly, plus the fairly stable nature of coronaviruses (this new variant included) will mean you'd be unlucky to get it bad a second time...if at all.

Looks like this late august to mid september window is crucial. Looks like any possibility is going to have to be shoehorned into a 3/4 week window, if we get anything.

If we have tens of millions vaccinated, plus immunity from those that have had it plus some form of testing we should surely be able to at least have a fully open air 1 day non camping fest. Please?

20 hours ago, The Nal said:

Getting to that time alright. Booking time off work, booking transport and the like. 

Only 162 days till we can celebrate with a quarter of a million people, going to be great! 

Combination of fatigue and multiple stresses going on in my life right now, but this made me fucking cry haha. 161 days to go 🤞

8 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

It’s official, I’ve decided I won’t be there until 2022. 😪

I think even if they get it up and running, they’ll be sacrificing a lot of what makes the festival great. That includes the camaraderie of drunken strangers hugging and chatting absolute bollocks in dense crowds. 

If it went ahead that wouldn’t ever not happen, in fact it would happen more than ever before.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Cherry Tree said:

Trying to haul this back on track, just noticed that the Bath & West Showground is getting set up as a vaccination centre, assuming that we will still be using these in May/June, does this have an impact on the festival.

It probably would, but I'm convinced now the festival can't go ahead this year, so no.

Sorry, that sounded a bit harsh, but I don't think it's something we should worry about.  

Given that the virus can affect the young when we're suppressing virus growth, there will still be significant hospitalisations with unrestricted growth (E.g mass gatherings allowed), even with the older population vaccinated.

So we have to wait until the adult population is vaccinated, which means 2022.

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry, that sounded a bit harsh, but I don't think it's something we should worry about.  

Given that the virus can affect the young when we're suppressing virus growth, there will still be significant hospitalisations with unrestricted growth (E.g mass gatherings allowed), even with the older population vaccinated.

So we have to wait until the adult population is vaccinated, which means 2022.

There will only be significant hospitalisations if there's an even more significant amount of covid raging through the population.

Which isn't likely in June all things considered.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Artists now starting to cancel their 2021 tours.

Personally don't think this is too much to worry about. No idea how quickly the 1975 churn out albums but from a financial perspective its surely pragmatic for a band to use this downtime to start working on a next album. Sitting round all year constantly rearranging gigs seems a pretty wasteful use of their time to me.

It's a lot different for larger artists, who have tonnes of logistics in terms of hiring buses and crew and technical aspects that don't really lend itself to anything other than a pretty seamless festival season.

Thinking generally over the festival season this could really benefit mid level/undercard artists being bumped up bills, or bands on an off season who fancy doing one-off gigs for a nice cheque with minimal outlay.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There will only be significant hospitalisations if there's an even more significant amount of covid raging through the population.

Which isn't likely in June all things considered.

If we lift restrictions with most of the population unvaccinated, why wouldn't there be a significant amount of COVID in the population?