Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

8 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But it’s also reality, like it or not. It’s called human nature and we already saw it last summer let alone this one or the next.

Not really. If I can travel again and have a break away it would be nice but I can listen to music at home. Life isn't game over without a music event to go to and it certainly doesn't define my life is I can't go to a gig for a reason,

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not really. If I can travel again and have a break away it would be nice but I can listen to music at home. Life isn't game over without a music event to go to and it certainly doesn't define my life is I can't go to a gig for a reason,

And that’s great for you. However, not everyone thinks the same and for some, seeing live music is their escape from reality and a chance to spend time with friends and loved ones from around the world.

For the past 11 years, Glasto has been a chance for me to gather with over 20 mates from all over the world, and is the only time we get to do that together - while in 2019 I saw well over 250 gigs, so I would say live music definitely does define my life.

No one is saying let’s throw the doors open and forget there’s a virus, but for some people keeping positive and hoping for the future is what’s getting them through missing loved ones and the life they knew. It’s human nature to lament what you’re missing, particularly in these horrible times. 

This forum is meant to be based around a festival of connection, but over the last few weeks more people on here seem blinkered to showing any compassion or understanding. Just because you don’t agree with something, it doesn’t mean the other person is wrong. Some people believe the festival will go ahead in June and that hope might be the only thing that’s getting them through, so I don’t get why try and kick them into believing what they do, with some people seemingly getting joy out of crushing peoples hope. While others are incredibly scared for themselves and loved and want to lockdown further, and people show be considerate of that. 

No one is having it easy at the moment and we should all show a bit more love towards each other. This will be over one day! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I'll firstly start that I think for Paul to downvote this is embarrassing!

24 minutes ago, mike46 said:

And that’s great for you. However, not everyone thinks the same and for some, seeing live music is their escape from reality and a chance to spend time with friends and loved ones from around the world.

For the past 11 years, Glasto has been a chance for me to gather with over 20 mates from all over the world, and is the only time we get to do that together - while in 2019 I saw well over 250 gigs, so I would say live music definitely does define my life.

No one is saying let’s throw the doors open and forget there’s a virus, but for some people keeping positive and hoping for the future is what’s getting them through missing loved ones and the life they knew. It’s human nature to lament what you’re missing, particularly in these horrible times. 

This forum is meant to be based around a festival of connection, but over the last few weeks more people on here seem blinkered to showing any compassion or understanding. Just because you don’t agree with something, it doesn’t mean the other person is wrong. Some people believe the festival will go ahead in June and that hope might be the only thing that’s getting them through, so I don’t get why try and kick them into believing what they do, with some people seemingly getting joy out of crushing peoples hope. While others are incredibly scared for themselves and loved and want to lockdown further, and people show be considerate of that. 

No one is having it easy at the moment and we should all show a bit more love towards each other. This will be over one day! 

But does it stop you from seeing any of your friends? I don't ever have one time each year that me and all my friends get together because that's life. Children etc etc dictate things.

That's just it though. Some people are suggestive to the point of, I can't miss another Glastonbury. So while I get some of your points, I agree to disagree on many. Plus over 250 gigs is a rarity, I can't even think of fitting that in or trying to afford it.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

But does it stop you from seeing any of your friends? I don't ever have one time each year that me and all my friends get together because that's life. Children etc etc dictate things.

It does stop me seeing quite a few friends. We no longer live anywhere near each other and for those exact reasons you state, the festival is our chance to block a week of time together that we could never do, particularly with those friends who don’t live in the UK. Hopefully we could do that later this year somewhere in the world, but if global travel is back then thankfully gigs and festivals will be back too. 

13 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's just it though. Some people are suggestive to the point of, I can't miss another Glastonbury. So while I get some of your points, I agree to disagree on many. Plus over 250 gigs is a rarity, I can't even think of fitting that in or trying to afford it.

I completely agree, but I don’t think anyone really believes they “can’t miss another Glastonbury” it’s just their way of expressing their sadness. I know my gig-going is a rarity, bonus of my job luckily, but at the same point I haven’t had a holiday or break away outside a festival in around in 7 years as I can’t afford too, which is something that you stated you are looking forward too, so it’s all personal opinion on what we miss the most and want back and I hope we can all do it. 

We’ll all get there together though and we’ll all soon be back doing what we love, whatever that might be.

Personally, I’m most looking forward to seeing how much of a distant memory these last 10 months will become! 

Edited by mike46
Spelling!

Not read any of this thread until today so read the last couple of pages and then the first 6. There's a lot of hope and confidence in the first 6 pages but there are quite a few things that have happened since November that no one could have forseen. Would be keen to know how those posters from the early days are thinking / feeling now?

On 11/23/2020 at 3:05 PM, Andy0808 v5 said:

I think we’re all good for 2021, minus the hell landscape. I was already fairly confident, but I think this just increases chances further. As long as they can get the crew vaxx’d up and keep safe by end of March!

YOU STUPID IDIOT. How fucking naive are you?

(Hope that answers the previous post)

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, Claire0406 said:

Personally I’d go to glasto even if half the bands were missing! We all know the big names are in the grand scheme of things a small part of our experience! If they had to fill the bill with smaller unknown bands would that be bad thing really?? 

Personnally i think we'd go with no bands on, the music is such a small part of it for us. Of course, no bands / music would impact the overall vibe greatly so it would be hard to know what the actual atmosphere would be like but we wouldn't hesitate to try and find out.

6 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Personnally i think we'd go with no bands on, the music is such a small part of it for us. Of course, no bands / music would impact the overall vibe greatly so it would be hard to know what the actual atmosphere would be like but we wouldn't hesitate to try and find out.

I mean, the bands aren't the issue with it going ahead/not going ahead. We, the punters, are the issue. So it's far more likely it goes ahead without us than the other way around (neither will happen btw).

Yeah the bands aren’t the issue, we all await the lineup like Xmas day when you were a kid, and then a great deal of the acts you want to see are wiped out due to clashes. I probably see about 3/4 acts a day properly out of however many thousand there are across the five days. So even if half the bill was missing it would still be incredible as you can never see them all anyway!

There’s a fair bit of time still and things that can change from now until the festival needs to start getting ready for it to happen. 
I heard the booking team aren't wanted and with no bands self confirming I guess that seems that rumour could be true as by now you’d get a fair few saying they’re playing the festival. 
I read about that spice woman saying it’s off while on the radio, she’s a bit gobby anyway so that’s hard to read. 
Depending on the vaccines and how well they get it out there (200,000 in a day) could depend on some festivals going ahead like Download or Victorious in late August. Glastonbury imo is to early in the year because of the build. I don’t know if they could move the dates, I haven’t seen any confirmed dates yet. I’d still go in September, just hope for an Indian summer!.

Anyway... naively I’m 50/50

On 1/9/2021 at 9:12 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There are a number of festivals across Europe seemingly waiting to see how the next few weeks plays out before they make their moves in 2021. That could mean postponement to later in the year or full cancellation. I'm sure they're all in sync with artists and agents, after all, it's in everyone's interests to put on events. What I think we will see is a domino effect. Once one of the large organisations makes the inevitable move to late Summer, we'll see them all commit to a decision either way. I fully include Glastonbury within that group and with absolutely no intel on this whatsoever, I still think shifting the dates for this year's event is still an option they're exploring.

As a result, we may see either a lot of similarity or a huge variety across the lineups subject to artist availability but there are many positives that could come from this. 

Great point I didn’t think of, each festival could be so different with festivals playing on the same dates, unlike the past few years where it’s been the same bands doing 4-5 festivals in the year. Some line ups where hard to tell apart. 
Festival packed busy late summer is possible, I’d say that pretty much all bands would be desperate to play and tour apart from a few bands like U2 unfortunately 

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Would people’s opinions changed if the govt were smashing the vaccine target ? 

Wouldn’t change because I think live events can’t get insurance for 2021 which means they can’t go ahead. I don’t think the issue is anything to do with vaccination rates.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wouldn’t change because I think live events can’t get insurance for 2021 which means they can’t go ahead. I don’t think the issue is anything to do with vaccination rates.

There are many planning to go ahead without the relevant insurance. I believe their hopes will be very much pinned on vaccination rates and/or sufficient safety measures.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wonder if events may include a disclaimer saying that if it were to be cancelled for any reason, then money will not be returned and will unfortunately be lost to cover the costs. 
Think people would understand this stance and would be willing to take the ‘risk’ given we’ve gone a full year without live music. 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There are many planning to go ahead without the relevant insurance. I believe their hopes will be very much pinned on vaccination rates and/or sufficient safety measures.

But I feel like all of these events are just going to end up moving, just like Glastonbury likely will.

Just now, st dan said:

Wonder if events may include a disclaimer saying that if it were to be cancelled for any reason, then money will not be returned and will unfortunately be lost to cover the costs. 
Think people would understand this stance and would be willing to take the ‘risk’ given we’ve gone a full year without live music. 

Whilst that’s a way of going forward I just can’t see it and I don’t know of any event which has willingly done that before.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

live events can’t get insurance for 2021 which means they can’t go ahead

that is not factually correct. They can go ahead without covid cancellation insurance.

I understand why festivals might not wish to take the risk of keep on planning to go ahead without insurance - particularly the festivals with big set-up costs - and right now things look bleak so going forwards looks a big risk ... but ultimately covid is one of many risks any festival organiser faces in trying to put on a successful event.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

As shit as no live music is, it's not shit enough for me to act as a de facto insurer for a private company.

That's their risk, not mine.  

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that is not factually correct. They can go ahead without covid cancellation insurance.

I understand why festivals might not wish to take the risk of keep on planning to go ahead without insurance - particularly the festivals with big set-up costs - and right now things look bleak so going forwards looks a big risk ... but ultimately covid is one of many risks any festival organiser faces in trying to put on a successful event.

As I said above, I can’t see festival organisers having that much faith in the situation to do that. Yes we are vaccinating but things need to pick up the pace pretty quick to be in a reformed position by the summer. 

I know we are a smaller country and the rollout will take longer, but I think events in the US seem to have targeted the right ‘sweet spot’. It seems like we are going to be getting over our first hurdles in the front end of the year and will see a slow move back to normality from the mid to end of 2021.

Will just say it - I think we will have another summer of no gigs. With maybe some indoor gigs being allowed at the back end of 2021.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Would people’s opinions changed if the govt were smashing the vaccine target ? 

Yep, i’ve been 10% that the festival will go ahead for a while waiting for indications of vaccine rollout. My expectations were 840k a week so if they smash that then that will go up and if they are under that it goes down. Over 200k a day  (if being done at this stage) in my opinion is smashing it.

Plus another vaccine in spring too.