Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

Just now, jannybruck said:

I think there'll be some element of this particularly because there's so many bands ready to tour, but unless you've got an undeniably killer lineup ready to go it's risky to not have much buffer time to shift tickets, do adverts/promo, etc.

In that scenario, I don't think those factors would be anywhere near as important as usual simply because the competition for peoples time and money would be a fraction of what it normally would be and that'd combine with huge pent up demand.

If people feel safe going out, but most events have been cancelled, then the ones that are able to run will clean up - even if they do only put tickets on sale a month before.

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wonder what the chances are of the festival season being cancelled only for some hastily arranged one off events to go ahead in the summer after a big improvement in the situation. I can’t see the music industry dilly-dallying for months after the government gives the green light 

Oh 100%. Last summer some stuff happened with short notice

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wonder what the chances are of the festival season being cancelled only for some hastily arranged one off events to go ahead in the summer after a big improvement in the situation. I can’t see the music industry dilly-dallying for months after the government gives the green light 

Many festivals should be able to put the organisation for a festival in place without incurring much in the way of costs, as everyone will have possible cancellation high in their minds.

So I'm hoping that plenty of festivals should be able to run with short notice (not the likes of Glastonbury tho).

Edited by eFestivals

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

So I'm hoping that plenty of festivals should be able to run with short notice (not the likes of Glastonbury tho).

My fingers crossed backup plan (if needed) is Beautiful Days. The 2 extra months might be enough. Might not. Who knows?

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

My fingers crossed backup plan (if needed) is Beautiful Days. The 2 extra months might be enough. Might not. Who knows?

forget the two months later for the moment.

I'm guessing, but it's quite possibly the case that BD could happen with something like 4 weeks notice, with an amount of cost-free pre-planning already in place so that they only need to say "it's on" and everything is ready to go.

It helps that most festivals don't need to sell many tickets, as most are already sold.

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, eFestivals said:

forget the two months later for the moment.

I'm guessing, but it's quite possibly the case that BD could happen with something like 4 weeks notice, with an amount of cost-free pre-planning already in place so that they only need to say "it's on" and everything is ready to go.

True. Turnaround would be way less than the biggies as you've said.

7 hours ago, incident said:

I know it's a different circumstance, but when the festival was cancelled last March, I believe the public announcement was made the same day that the decision was taken.

Technically wasn't cancelled last year - just postponed. So Emily could get away with not outright lying...

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Technically wasn't cancelled last year - just postponed. So Emily could get away with not outright lying...

Technically it was cancelled last year - at least that's the word the festival used in the announcement.

And I'm pretty sure that Emily/GFL will set a higher bar for themselves than "not outright lying".

46 minutes ago, incident said:

Technically it was cancelled last year - at least that's the word the festival used in the announcement.

And I'm pretty sure that Emily/GFL will set a higher bar for themselves than "not outright lying".

Rule of thumb:

If a gig or tour is cancelled , no new dates will happen and the attendees get a refund

If its not going ahead but future dates are planned ie rescheduled then you hold on to your ticket with the odd person wanting a refund if avaiable.

The G press office will word any announcement very carefully  - its what they are paid to do

Its  a shame these did not survive

PapaKåta - Hire Beautiful Tipis & Sperry Tents for Your Wedding or Event (papakata.co.uk)

I passed their premises quite regulary in the summer - they supplied all the major festivals including G.

I wonder if there will be someone else avaiable to replace them ? otherwise festivals in 2021 maybe short of tents

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

cant remember .. did that one sell out and tickets roll over ? 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Don't think they sold out, but might be wrong. No idea with carry over

BD is my primary plan as I'm ticketless for Glasto.  It didn't sell out - normally doesn't until around July, and they pulled the plug in March I think.  They rolled over too, friends have tickets.  As soon as they go back on sale, I'm going to buy tickets - I anticipate higher demand than usual.  I could be wrong but I don't want to miss out, it's only 20 mins down the road from me!

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

no they didnt just checking  and similar rollover to Glastonbury .... definately on my list if Glastonbury is unable to go ahead 

You'd enjoy it.  I'm going regardless (if it's on) so will happily meet up for a beer/cider!

39 minutes ago, ivan said:

Its  a shame these did not survive

PapaKåta - Hire Beautiful Tipis & Sperry Tents for Your Wedding or Event (papakata.co.uk)

I passed their premises quite regulary in the summer - they supplied all the major festivals including G.

I wonder if there will be someone else avaiable to replace them ? otherwise festivals in 2021 maybe short of tents

I don’t know, but I had those tipis for my wedding 8 or so years back, I had a quote from them and they were really pricey so went with someone else, but even back then there were a good 10 or so companies doing them.

The thing is those tents will be bought by someone, perhaps someone with deeper pockets who can rode this situation out.

54 minutes ago, ivan said:

Rule of thumb:

If a gig or tour is cancelled , no new dates will happen and the attendees get a refund

If its not going ahead but future dates are planned ie rescheduled then you hold on to your ticket with the odd person wanting a refund if avaiable.

The G press office will word any announcement very carefully  - its what they are paid to do

If an annual event doesn’t happen until the date of the next annual event, it’s been cancelled. 

If an annual event happens later in the year than in intended, it’s been postponed. 

But, let’s not get caught up in semantics - it’s a simple question of it’s happening or it’s not. 

1 hour ago, NickM45 said:

Is it worth pushing the festival back to the of July or August to buy some time? It doesn't have to be the last week of June does it?

There was a rumour of a move to September but the festival moved quickly to quash it. It looks very much like June or bust. I hope they don't come to regret that decision.

18 hours ago, mufcok said:

🥺

Dave Rowntree commented on the Glastonbury Festival FB post:

“Some really lovely comments here - thanks very much! We loved the gig too! Glastonbury is a magical place for us. Can't wait till this bloody virus is dead, and we can all get back out there and start playing live again.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Dave Rowntree commented on the Glastonbury Festival FB post:

“Some really lovely comments here - thanks very much! We loved the gig too! Glastonbury is a magical place for us. Can't wait till this bloody virus is dead, and we can all get back out there and start playing live again.”

Promising but the Glastonbury line I don't think was said.