Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

Just now, TheFullShaboo said:

Anna Wade knows her shit. A lot of Sachas responses are premeditated (which is what's needed when asking for demands) whereas Annas responses to each question have been offhand yet solid - The perfect duo

Looking forward to the next sitting. 

Yes, I wasn't meaning to criticise her, and I thought she was really good on the drugs aspect. They complement each other well.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

250,000 in a field in 18 months time. Are you confident? I'm certainly not! 😞

Do you enjoy pouring cold sick on discussions on the internet? Honestly don't understand it, do you get pleasure from this?

🤥

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The Boomtown comms director seemed to suggest they were in a position where they didn't need visas for their foreign performers?

Yeah I heard Anna mention that, not sure if she misspoke, unless they get a special waiver. Did she say they didn't need visas going forward or never had to apply for them?

I didn't realise how expensive visas get for big events. £600 a band? How many acts Glasto book again? 😳

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the govts willingness - or not - to give a restart date will certainly make a big difference. As would insurance.

I think giving a restart date is the way to go (because insurance is a can of worms), but as things are right now I can't really see how they could give a date with any confidence.

Hopefully, within a month we should start to see the impact of the vaccine within the numbers, and then it's probably possible to do some pretty decent projections - as long as there's not further variants to fuck things up further.

There's a 2 fold problem here. Firstly a restart date and then the insurance. The government cannot predict a restart date; they can only offer tentative suggestions. And most festivals of scale will be reluctant to go ahead without government underwriting costs.

The insurance guarantees festivals seek are a difficult argument and quite different from those granted to the tv & film industry which mainly address production delays due to covid. Yes I acknowledge support given to the  tv & film industry does cover project cancellation but in reality very few projects will be cancelled. Whereas for festivals it's virtulally all or nothing. If the government commits underwriting festivals it is committing the public purse on a bet it has proven to be inept at delivering, viz Normality 

They should commit to assisting in arranging some type of underwriting, but not going to be able to do it this year as way too unpredictable. However it would help enormously for some sort of guarantee to be in place for 2022/2023 to provide some type of certainty for organisers. There will still be challenges then but hopefully nothing on the scale on 2020/2021.

A lot of people are seeing this new lockdown as a negative in terms of the festival going ahead this year. 

It’s actually the opposite. A harsh lockdown now is exactly what is needed to get the numbers back under control. The timing is critical though. We should see significant drops for all contributing factors in 2-3 weeks time. Hopefully they will drop enough for them to give the go ahead on the build. 

12 minutes ago, Lycra said:

There's a 2 fold problem here. Firstly a restart date and then the insurance. The government cannot predict a restart date; they can only offer tentative suggestions. And most festivals of scale will be reluctant to go ahead without government underwriting costs.

The insurance guarantees festivals seek are a difficult argument and quite different from those granted to the tv & film industry which mainly address production delays due to covid. Yes I acknowledge support given to the  tv & film industry does cover project cancellation but in reality very few projects will be cancelled. Whereas for festivals it's virtulally all or nothing. If the government commits underwriting festivals it is committing the public purse on a bet it has proven to be inept at delivering, viz Normality 

Yep, it's the all or nothing thing with insurance for festivals, combined with the fact that it would be the govt who would be triggering the payouts via the rules they've put in place. Then there's all of the ins and outs about why exactly a festival can't go ahead .... cos they could (for instance) go ahead with social distancing; I can't see those issues getting ironed out quickly enough even if the govt said they'd give insurance cover today.

I don't think anyone is expecting a cast-iron guarantee with a restart date, but the govt should be able to say in what conditions (deaths/hospitalisations/infection rates/vaccination roll-out) they'd allow a restart, and then (in a month or so when there's better data) a reasonable projection can be made for when we should hit that point.

That restart date would at least give festival organisers the opportunity to take a punt on it if they want to.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

A lot of people are seeing this new lockdown as a negative in terms of the festival going ahead this year. 

It’s actually the opposite. A harsh lockdown now is exactly what is needed to get the numbers back under control. The timing is critical though. We should see significant drops for all contributing factors in 2-3 weeks time. Hopefully they will drop enough for them to give the go ahead on the build. 

I really really hope that's the case!

13 minutes ago, Lycra said:

There is actually a simple way we could have Glasto this year.......Ban all under 50s from attending + UK residents only. Surely government cannot fuck up delivering it's jabs!

Um - should that not be only over 50's as they would have had the Jab 🙂 

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Was thinking that myself. Hopefully the strict lockdown, if adhered to, should suppress the rate of transmission and allow the roll out of the vaccine. The target up here is all over 50s and vulnerable done by May. That’s 2.5 million in Scotland. The combination of this and the lockdown surely will see this beating the virus. We can but hope but it depends on self discipline and thinking of others.   

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee - 5/1/20

Hour 1: Sacha Lord (Parklife & The Warehouse Project) & Anna Wade (Boomtown)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sC82KUwide-j2D3CYMcKUlAtfTWeSfTy/view?usp=sharing

Hour 2: Steve Heap (Ass. of Festival Organisers); Jamie Njoku-Goodwin (UK Music) & Paul Reed (Ass. of Independent Festivals)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17yEp25086SGfbH1sF2hTJxmPoQf1Ss4o/view?usp=sharing

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Um - should that not be only over 50's as they would have had the Jab 🙂 

The key was in the word 'ban'..

I think this is actually a genius idea.

I'm under 50 but I would rather Glastonbury went ahead without me for others to enjoy, than not go ahead at all.

50 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yep, it's the all or nothing thing with insurance for festivals, combined with the fact that it would be the govt who would be triggering the payouts via the rules they've put in place. Then there's all of the ins and outs about why exactly a festival can't go ahead .... cos they could (for instance) go ahead with social distancing; I can't see those issues getting ironed out quickly enough even if the govt said they'd give insurance cover today.

I don't think anyone is expecting a cast-iron guarantee with a restart date, but the govt should be able to say in what conditions (deaths/hospitalisations/infection rates/vaccination roll-out) they'd allow a restart, and then (in a month or so when there's better data) a reasonable projection can be made for when we should hit that point.

That restart date would at least give festival organisers the opportunity to take a punt on it if they want to.

Perhaps only families should go !

Parents taking teenagers etc will be under strict instructions to ensure there is social distancing and not allow their children to "PULL" so to speak !

And possibly a Folk or Country & Western themed  Glastonbury Festival  will stop the kids getting a bit frisky watching Dua Lipa and wanting to sneek off !

Or just book Paul Mc & Radiohead 

Edited by ivan
spelling

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm under 50 but I would rather Glastonbury went ahead without me for others to enjoy, than not go ahead at all.

Glastonbury herd immunity... everyone who’s had the vaccine gets in then Hunger Games for the final 20%

48 minutes ago, xxialac said:

oh yea, need to read these things twice 🙂 , cleaning my glasses should help as well

I retract my statement me lord