Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

3 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Look - I agree. No need to cancel until it is clear it is not possible 

That’s my thinking. Things are moving on the vaccine front but who knows if it’s going to be quick enough for major summer events. We can all speculate but only the festival hierarchy really know when it becomes impossible to continue. 

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

Yup.  Cos it hasn't been cancelled.

It hasn’t been publicly cancelled, but it does feel like something significant has happened behind the scenes. No news for the public yet because it still might go ahead but it feels like it won’t be Glastonbury as normal by any stretch at this point. 

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It hasn’t been publicly cancelled, but it does feel like something significant has happened behind the scenes. No news for the public yet because it still might go ahead but it feels like it won’t be Glastonbury as normal by any stretch at this point. 

They’ve probably set a deadline date and won’t announce cancellation before then. Even if it’s most likely off!

I could see Glasto going down this year too but I do think festivals will happen in some capacity, many will hold out as long as possible or make alternate arrangements if they can't happen as planned 

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

Emily will have her opinion on whether she thinks it might going ahead or not, same as the rest of us.

What she won't be doing is telling anyone it's not happening until it's not happening, or telling the public it's not cancelled when it already is.

17 hours ago, zahidf said:

One to tune in to

Bumping this post.

Some top shelf Select Committee action for the hardcore, coming up at 10am. "The future of UK music festivals".

Watch here: https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/672c567b-68ee-444e-b3d8-3dbd65f907b7

Edited by kalifire

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Bumping this post.

Some top shelf Select Committee action for the hardcore, coming up at 10am. "The future of UK music festivals".

Watch here: https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/672c567b-68ee-444e-b3d8-3dbd65f907b7

Maybe Festivals are holding back making decisions until if or when government gives some clarification as a result of this select committee. 

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe Festivals are holding back making decisions until if or when government gives some clarification as a result of this select committee. 

the govts willingness - or not - to give a restart date will certainly make a big difference. As would insurance.

I think giving a restart date is the way to go (because insurance is a can of worms), but as things are right now I can't really see how they could give a date with any confidence.

Hopefully, within a month we should start to see the impact of the vaccine within the numbers, and then it's probably possible to do some pretty decent projections - as long as there's not further variants to fuck things up further.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Emily will have her opinion on whether she thinks it might going ahead or not, same as the rest of us.

What she won't be doing is telling anyone it's not happening until it's not happening, or telling the public it's not cancelled when it already is.

Agreed, but the festival could make overtures about the likelihood of it happening, and I'd imagine they'd need to start doing that already, for the earliest stuff like signing contracts for logistical things. There's plenty of scope for messaging to be misperceived and for people to start claiming it's not happening when that's not actually what they've been told. That doesn't necessarily mean nothing's been said, just that it wasn't as extreme as a full scale cancellation. I think there are still dots to put together, to give us an indication of where things are going.

Edited by kalifire

6 hours ago, John the Moth said:

So if something HAS happened behind the scenes, I reckon shenanigans in the last 24 hours will only have served to push back any public announcement that might have been imminent.

The wait for clarity is agonising 😫

Yes. And it must be worse for the international contingent who have travel plans accommodation etc to plan for.  But we will be back. 

39 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Sacha Lord had his shit together when asked exactly what he'd like the government to do. Good.

He certainly did. Whole discussion is a bit unreal though, when it all flows from the timing of when Covid restrictions in society as a whole are relaxed.

The Boomtown comms director seemed to suggest they were in a position where they didn't need visas for their foreign performers?

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

16 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Yeh. That’s unfortunately where my thinking is at, awful to know we’ve got to wait but at least we know we’ll be there.

The next ‘proper’ sale for the festival is going to be absolute carnage. Seetickets better start saving bandwidth now.

Maybe.

I think there's definitely something to the idea that with the festival being out of the public eye. It'll only have been on TV as a big TV event in 2017 and 2019, there's going to be a lack of momentum there. And as someone mentioned before, a generation's worth of people who go when they're late-teens/early 20s and keep trying for tickets for the next ten years or so, won't have happened.

I don't think it won't sell out or anything like that but the demand may fall off a little bit.

28 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Whole discussion is a bit unreal though, when it all flows from the timing of when Covid restrictions position in society as a whole are relaxed.

Exactly. Whatever recommendations this committee might make, it's entirely dependent on a variable outside of everyone's control, including the government. Still, good to have some clear communication about exactly what's needed to help make it work.

Edited by kalifire

Exactly. Whatever recommendations this committee might make, it's entirely dependent on a variable outside of everyone's control, including the government. Still, good to have some clear communication about exactly what's needed to help make it work.

Yes. Sacha Lord coming across very well.

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yes. Sacha Lord coming across very well.

Anna Wade knows her shit. A lot of Sachas responses are premeditated (which is what's needed when asking for demands) whereas Annas responses to each question have been offhand yet solid - The perfect duo

Looking forward to the next sitting.