Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

I don't have the timestamp or direct quotes, but caught Mel B being interviewed on 5 Live whilst on a drive and she was saying its such a shame that events like Glastonbury are cancelled this year. When the interviewer pointed out that Glastonbury hasn't yet been cancelled her response was very direct- "no it has, they've announced it today." Second person to let something out of the bag including Macca...?

If anyone has the ability to find time stamps it must've been around 3.50pm.

The only 'announcement' she'd be referring to is some kind of internal announcement made to bands who were lined up to perform. The fact she then sounded like they hadn't been asked makes her initial claim hard to believe. But she did sound very sure and wouldn't have a reason to blurt that out unless she'd heard something. All very odd.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its possible I guess... but I have my doubts based on that. Mainly on the fact that they haven't announced it today!

Assuming it's not a guess. Maybe an internal announcement to people involved in the festival. Which does actually suggest she might have been provisionally booked....

Get Mel B down on as rumoured for 2022 @eFestivals

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

The only 'announcement' she'd be referring to is some kind of internal announcement made to bands who were lined up to perform. The fact she then sounded like they hadn't been asked makes her initial claim hard to believe. But she did sound very sure and wouldn't have a reason to blurt that out unless she'd heard something. All very odd.

That was my thinking, maybe artists/people involved have been told. Grim

Or she has friends who were booked to play who have told her that they heard today to stand down, it doesn’t necessarily have to be that she was booked to play. 

I think the fact she said she’d specifically heard today is ominous

Edited by tigger123

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

To be fair, the presenter did give her the opportunity to retract or water down her statement, but she reaffirmed it. 

Just now, kalifire said:

I still think the decision's been made. The festival will want to control the public announcement. There's no 'news' because they're not ready to say anything publicly yet. That doesn't mean a decision hasn't been taken.

Maybe they’re getting Boris to announce it as part of his 8pm ditherings tonight.