Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I appreciate you’re in a better position to comment on such a thing, but at the same time how can such a swing even be possible, unless the vaccine is having a unlikely early impact?

692DE6F9-337D-4504-88DC-83EDD8C760F8.jpeg

We really need an updated version of this graph to see if the vaccine is working.

Someone in the Oxfam festivals group saying that the tipi fields have been sown with maize (although I think we had this disproved earlier as November/December would be the wrong sowing season?)

Also reaffirming some stuff and saying that her and the crew she knows have been told they won't be working. No idea what crew though.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Someone in the Oxfam festivals group saying that the tipi fields have been sown with maize (although I think we had this disproved earlier as November/December would be the wrong sowing season?)

Also reaffirming some stuff and saying that her and the crew she knows have been told they won't be working. No idea what crew though.

The Maize thing automatically suggests they don't really know anything more than anyone else.

Most likely they got it from here (either directly or indirectly) when it was posted a week or two back, and as you say it was almost immediately pointed out that no farmer is going to plant seeds like that before the Spring and that they did plant those fields last year once the festival had been cancelled (ie at a more appropriate time of year).

13 hours ago, Copperface said:

It keeps people occupied. Let 'em dream on, it doesn't hurt anyone. People don't want to surrender to reality quite yet.

the reality is that there's no need to cancel yet because it can possibly go ahead.

But hey, if I wanted to make stuff up like you, i'd say it was definitely happening. 🙂 

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We really need an updated version of this graph to see if the vaccine is working.

Graph below is reproduced from the Twitter feed of CEO Homerton Hospital Hackney and shows covid patients by age group 31 Dec 2020. It records 87 patients 65 & over against 81 under 65. Note sadly the disparity between age groups for covid patients in itu,

https://mobile.twitter.com/ceohomerton?lang=en

Eqk1JhWXYAAFMvB.jpeg

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the reality is that there's no need to cancel yet because it can possibly go ahead.

But hey, if I wanted to make stuff up like you, i'd say it was definitely happening. 🙂 

It might with Ashton Gate vaccinating the mythical 110,000 per week.🙂

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Graph below is reproduced from the Twitter feed of CEO Homerton Hospital Hackney and shows covid patients by age group 31 Dec 2020. It records 87 patients 65 & over against 81 under 65. Note sadly the disparity between age groups for covid patients in itu,

https://mobile.twitter.com/ceohomerton?lang=en

Eqk1JhWXYAAFMvB.jpeg

Is there any way of finding out what % of these patients are in ICU because of Covid vs how many of them are in there for something else and then happen to also be positive, especially for the younger demographics? For example, my friends grandma went into ICU due to sepsis, but then also tested positive for Covid. She unfortunately passed away due to the sepsis, but was nonetheless recorded as a Covid death given she had tested positive within the last 28 days.

2 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Is there any way of finding out what % of these patients are in ICU because of Covid vs how many of them are in there for something else and then happen to also be positive, especially for the younger demographics? For example, my friends grandma went into ICU due to sepsis, but then also tested positive for Covid. She unfortunately passed away due to the sepsis, but was nonetheless recorded as a Covid death given she had tested positive within the last 28 days.

Unfortunately no. It is no doubt many patients presenting with Covid also have pre-existing conditions such as cancers, lung disease, COPD, diseases of the heart, liver or kidneys, diabetes etc. Such diseases become more common as we age and for many become life limiting. For these people acquiring covid puts an additional burden on the body and can hasten death. The thing is though many of these people would normally survive for months or even years if they had not caught covid. Finally with reference to ITU, it is more likely that patients in these units are specifically ill with Covid as patients with severe life limiting conditions are less good candidates for the therapy. 

Edited by Lycra
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if I had missed this but UCL have asked students to stay away:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/jan/changes-teaching-term-2-view-government-guidance

"We want to be honest and transparent with you about the decisions we are making. Our current and most realistic assessment is that it is unlikely that case rates will have reduced sufficiently to allow students to return to campus before at least mid-February, and quite possibly the end of March."

31 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Not sure if I had missed this but UCL have asked students to stay away:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/jan/changes-teaching-term-2-view-government-guidance

"We want to be honest and transparent with you about the decisions we are making. Our current and most realistic assessment is that it is unlikely that case rates will have reduced sufficiently to allow students to return to campus before at least mid-February, and quite possibly the end of March."

Students aren't coming back this academic year unless they're on an essential practical course like medicine. 

Teaching usually ends mid-May i'd be amazed if they are back by then.

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Students aren't coming back this academic year unless they're on an essential practical course like medicine. 

Teaching usually ends mid-May i'd be amazed if they are back by then.

My two daughters are both back late January early Feb - Liverpool and Newcastle respectively. I'll boot them back out of the house by then, believe me. One is already back in student house, other going back on the 15th (hopefully).