Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

It will be massively unfair to not rollover again, especially as the ticker holders for 2020 let the festival keep their deposit money for a year or so.

There’s plenty of other festivals that have kept peoples money and not said a word as to what’s going to happen at all. It’s just that Glasto are fortunate to have only required a portion of the ticket price up front. Imagine if everyone had paid the full £270 15 months ago? Much more difficult to let them hold that. Coachella ended up refunding a little more than half of all the tickets they sold for 2020, and that’s over 2 weekends. 

The only option is to extend the festival with a 1 week on-site pre-festival quarantine.

But with all the music still on to increase serotonin and immune response. And all the food and drink open. Basically the normal festival but longer.

anyone who has symptoms ➡Hare Krishna tent to chant it off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've posted this in the volunteering thread but thought it would be worth sharing here as well.

Below is from an update the Access Steward team have posted and reminds you whenever it's next on it's going to be amazing!

But, as Michael and Emily have said,

“Can you imagine the absolute thrill at being the very first large-scale show to take place after one of the worst epidemics of the last 300 years? You better believe it!”

21 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Is it possible they could do away with tented stages this year as an option? Still have them stage there but not have them covered?

All the recent Covid advice is mad about ventilation. I don’t see why festival organisers can’t use this to their advantage. Small secret sets; tiny acoustic gatherings. Sounds like fun. I don’t see how all these things can’t happen.

Don't know if this has been discussed on here before (sorry if it has) but we only have to really vaccinate approx. 25m people. This is based on groupings 1-9 of the priorities list. So basically everyone above 50 is vaccinated. At this point the risk is negligible. 

Per the BBC " It is hoped that about two million patients a week could soon be vaccinated with two vaccines now approved.".  Thats a target they would like to reach but even if 1 million people are vaccinated per week by the time the festival comes the vast majority of at risk people will be vaccinated.

I think the decision of whether summer being open for business is a political one, not a science based decision. The government have time and time again gone for the political decision and because of their mixed messaging and poor handling of the pandemic every measure they put in has become less and less effective as we have been teased with normalcy and then it taken away. 

• Like 1

Just now, Big durbs said:

yup , got tickets for that bad boy ( for next year now ) also i manage to get tix for the Pilton Party . i absolutely love the PP , its like a mini glasto ( they even open up some long drops for that authentic experience . lol ) 

The Pilton Party is always awesome, only done one Extravaganza (Madness + Steve Harley) and that was awesome as well, apart from the queue for the bogs.

4 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Don't know if this has been discussed on here before (sorry if it has) but we only have to really vaccinate approx. 25m people. This is based on groupings 1-9 of the priorities list. So basically everyone above 50 is vaccinated. At this point the risk is negligible. 

Tbh just groups 1+2 (80+) would remove up to 58% of deaths. If you did groups 1-4 (~10 million) that'd remove up to 93% of deaths. 

Of course whilst 65+ have higher mortality you still probably have significant hospitalisation in the 30-64 group. So even when deaths come down hospital capacity will probably become the key factor.

But all signs positive, just depends on the speed. 

Also isn't it nice to be in a situation talking about WHEN deaths come down due to vaccine, not IF they will. 

What a fucking year.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Tbh just groups 1+2 (80+) would remove up to 58% of deaths. If you did groups 1-4 (~10 million) that'd remove up to 93% of deaths. 

Of course whilst 65+ have higher mortality you still probably have significant hospitalisation in the 30-64 group. So even when deaths come down hospital capacity will probably become the key factor.

But all signs positive, just depends on the speed. 

Also isn't it nice to be in a situation talking about WHEN deaths come down due to vaccine, not IF they will. 

What a fucking year.

There really isn't significant hospitalisation in the 30-64 group - the admissions data says it's a relatively tiny percentage, somewhere in single figures. It's also probably worth pointing out that of the ones that are being admitted a decent chunk are likely to be the extremely vulnerable and so will be included in Group 4 (and then some more in Group 6) anyway.

image.png.d022db5281175f101ee4da1a1c9ee570.png

So currently 1.42 % of the population has been vaccinated as of December 27th.  That's about 50k a day meaning by the end of today we should be at about 1.7 % and at 2.16 % come January 4th with just shy of 1.5 million people vaccinated.  Thank goodness for the Oxford vaccine which will more than double (120k) that (based on the assumption they will do 500k a week).  On this pace 7.31 % of the population will be vaccinated by the end of January or 4.8 million people.  I would say we would need to have 22.4 million people (first 6 phases) vaccinated for a safe festival.  Based on this timescale this is due to be completed on 26th June 2021. 

Meant to be.  I'll let Emily know shall I?

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hang on, if it won't happen because a crowd 10 times Pilton Party is too big to be workable, then maybe - stay with me now - they don't make it so big it's unworkable?

That’s kinda what I was getting at in my post back along . I should of stated that I don’t believe it’ll be a full capacity field but simply larger number of people than PP. There’s a great deaL more chance of something along those lines than a festival next year IMO

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hang on, if it won't happen because a crowd 10 times Pilton Party is too big to be workable, then maybe - stay with me now - they don't make it so big it's unworkable?

I'll try to answer this when I'm sober.

It may be some time.

22 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Emily’s response to theglastothingy on Instagram looks resigned to no festival in 2021.

As in where she tweeted ‘not cancelled yet!’ ? 
This has been discussed a fair bit a few pages back, but yea I agree it doesn’t look good, definitely not a certain no though.