Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Do we reckon day events will happen sooner than festivals?

Was thinking if Glasto doesn't happen, my backup plan might be a long weekend in Glasgow. Guns n Roses on the Thursday, Biffy Clyro on the Friday, and Green Day on the Monday. 

No one will know for sure, but logically youd think so

52 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Was thinking if Glasto doesn't happen, my backup plan might be a long weekend in Glasgow. Guns n Roses on the Thursday, Biffy Clyro on the Friday, and Green Day on the Monday. 

Wow! Won’t be anywhere near as good as Glastonbury obviously but those three will be miles better than the three likely Glastonbury headliners (IMO obviously)

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

In theory wouldn’t lots of day events be worse for virus spread than a 5 day festival? Day events could mean lots of different people heading to an area whereas a festival is lots of the same people. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

In theory wouldn’t lots of day events be worse for virus spread than a 5 day festival? Day events could mean lots of different people heading to an area whereas a festival is lots of the same people. 

i guess it would depend on testing arrangements ... much easier to do for smaller numbers and shorter events 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

i guess it would depend on testing arrangements ... much easier to do for smaller numbers and shorter events 

Yeah definitely, I didn’t think of the number of people tbf. I wonder what would be best, I can see it either way. I’m probably missing something though!

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Aye but with festivals people will all be coming at different times, and people may be leaving and then coming back. At least with a day event you can give strict entry times and have a no readmission policy

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I’ve said throughout that I think open air day events will happen this summer with whatever testing/temp checks etc... they can put in place.  Still think the major concern will be the camping festivals, lack of cleaning etc... (even if that’s not an accurate gauge, just think they’ll be concerned about public perception)

12 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’ve said throughout that I think open air day events will happen this summer with whatever testing/temp checks etc... they can put in place.  Still think the major concern will be the camping festivals, lack of cleaning etc... (even if that’s not an accurate gauge, just think they’ll be concerned about public perception)

I think that’s what it will be if it comes down to that, purely perception. Of course standards of cleanliness are lower when camping, but realistically apart from spread within your group within your tents, spread beyond that in a campsite in an outdoor environment would be way lower than in say, a hotel environment. Especially if it rains, any fomites will be washed away and it’s not like people spend time huddled together in campsites outside of their groups. It would be purely down to how it looks rather than how it is. Not to mention the fact that the only place I ever used hand sanitizer before was at festivals and I am always ott with it, and that’s pre-pandemic.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Aye but with festivals people will all be coming at different times, and people may be leaving and then coming back. At least with a day event you can give strict entry times and have a no readmission policy

It’s easy to stop people coming and going to a weekend festival. Just make it no re-entry. How many people actually leave the festival site at Glastonbury? Can’t be many.

5 minutes ago, duke88 said:

It’s easy to stop people coming and going to a weekend festival. Just make it no re-entry. How many people actually leave the festival site at Glastonbury? Can’t be many.

Thousands of people leave and re-enter every day where they are camped offsite in Worthy View, the camper van fields and any number of off-site accommodation options.  Roads to/from these options are mostly stewarded but policing it to prevent anyone wandering further outside an 'exclusion zone' would be far from easy.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Leave the entire area? Not many public, but there'll be plenty of hospitality / performers staying off site or need to nip elsewhere for various reasons.

Leave the confines of the fence? A lot. Probably a majority. If only because they need to make a second trip back to the car and because half the staff camping is outside the fence these days.

No re-entry would be unworkable without dramatic changes to the festival.

46 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Is the feeling that a postponement would only be to September, and not July/August as a result of too many similar events already taking place during this time? 

Purely logistically speaking, mid September would be far easier to (re)arrange for so many reasons, not just limited to other camping festivals.

Even that would be a huge effort though, so my guess is that if June can't happen then we're fucked for the year.

I’m also thinking a postponement is unlikely, and i think we’re almost certainly looking at the festival not going ahead until 2022 (which I’ve made my peace with) - but was just toying with the idea.
I’d just love an August festival, although I know it’s highly highly unlikely.

10 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Day events will be easier than festivals. Rapid testing could potentially help with day events. 

For festivals the issue is the incubation period. Someone could easily test negative when they enter on Wednesday and be responsible for a super spreading event on the weekend.

Also there are just *so* many areas of Glasto where people mix between and travel to and from, rather than just a handful of stages at a day event.

2 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

February to "open up" sounds absurd. Especially when it still takes a few weeks for immunity to take effect after taking the vaccine. Suspect its the forces of Rishi and others who want us to relax restrictions earlier than we should.

It seems a little.... optimistic. 

You'd think by now they'd have learned about over promising. Who knows, maybe they actually believe it.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

It seems a little.... optimistic. 

You'd think by now they'd have learned about over promising. Who knows, maybe they actually believe it.

I imagine it will be factions within government briefing different things. No doubt some ministers will be doing things like this to put the pressure on the rest of Cabinet.