Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I would’ve thought one of the biggest headaches of all would be booking acts? Of course there will be tons that will be happy to play, but for any acts who had coincided Glastonbury with a tour, those tours will all be in the air so it might be difficult to get answers, and then it maybe becomes an issue to start building etc if they don’t have enough acts? 

Im sure between them coldplay and Fatboy slim have that in hand 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nice. It would make an interesting thread to see what people's best volunteering jobs have been over the years. It can't be all long drop cleaning and litter picking! 

I've only ever done stewarding, but as I've said before on here, I wouldn't do it any other way now. Despite my resistance to it for years, it also turns out that supervising is better. 

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I would’ve thought one of the biggest headaches of all would be booking acts? Of course there will be tons that will be happy to play, but for any acts who had coincided Glastonbury with a tour, those tours will all be in the air so it might be difficult to get answers, and then it maybe becomes an issue to start building etc if they don’t have enough acts? 

We were discussing this.

Give Fontaines DC or Idles a headline slot , save Glasto a shit load in fees.

And if people moan about the headliners , well sod em and obviously all that stuff about " its not about the headliners " is obviously a load of bollocks - they just wanted to say they have seen Adele or Ed at Glasto and instagrammed the fact 

9 minutes ago, ivan said:

We were discussing this.

Give Fontaines DC or Idles a headline slot , save Glasto a shit load in fees.

And if people moan about the headliners , well sod em and obviously all that stuff about " its not about the headliners " is obviously a load of bollocks - they just wanted to say they have seen Adele or Ed at Glasto and instagrammed the fact 

Oh I couldn’t agree more, and I think there would be plenty of acts who’d jump at the opportunity, irrespective of the notice they get. It must just be pretty hard for them right now, considering all three of their current pyramid headliners are all pretty much out of the equation.

And are they (the organisers) minded to get the festival itself on irrespective of who plays, or do they want to maintain a certain level of integrity in terms of who they book? 

Us as fans wouldn’t give a monkeys, but they might, and it might be hard for them to plough on knowing they’ve only got a core of British acts who will be a yes regardless.

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Oh I couldn’t agree more, and I think there would be plenty of acts who’d jump at the opportunity, irrespective of the notice they get. It must just be pretty hard for them right now, considering all three of their current pyramid headliners are all pretty much out of the equation.

Are they? Can someone give a little recap of the current situation on them - Kendrick just got announced for longitude in ireland a week after glastonbury seemed good to go to me?

28 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

And are they (the organisers) minded to get the festival itself on irrespective of who plays, or do they want to maintain a certain level of integrity in terms of who they book? 

Us as fans wouldn’t give a monkeys, but they might, and it might be hard for them to plough on knowing they’ve only got a core of British acts who will be a yes regardless.

My mate  insists the headliners for a long time have been to suit the BBC and the media coverage .

On 12/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, Paul ™ said:

They have a couple of alternative dates lined up and even an alternative venue if required with a load of acts signed up that are as flexible. More news by end of January.

is this Bearded or Glastonbury? I don't see how for any festival an alternative venue would make a difference?

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

is this Bearded or Glastonbury? I don't see how for any festival an alternative venue would make a difference?

Could just be that an alternative venue is necessary for one of the potential alternate dates - Catton Hall is usually quite busy through the summer.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

2 hours ago, incident said:

Could just be that an alternative venue is necessary for one of the potential alternate dates - Catton Hall is usually quite busy through the summer.

Yes Bearded sorry. 

As mentioned Catton has Bloodstock in August on the same footprint as Bearded. 

32 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yes Bearded sorry. 

As mentioned Catton has Bloodstock in August on the same footprint as Bearded. 

The only time I've seen Beardy mentioning another site was when they were discussing testing prior to entry, and they were talking about a further site to carry out the testing. You actually posted it. Has it been put up anywhere else?

"The test idea we have looked at with similar sized festivals and while it could be affordable, the logistics of having a second site to do this in cars, it would prove impossible to do at our size"

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

The only time I've seen Beardy mentioning another site was when they were discussing testing prior to entry, and they were talking about a further site to carry out the testing. You actually posted it. Has it been put up anywhere else?

"The test idea we have looked at with similar sized festivals and while it could be affordable, the logistics of having a second site to do this in cars, it would prove impossible to do at our size"

Yes on their official forum, a week or so ago. 

We are reviewing a few dates, clearly Catton having a show in August makes it a tad more challenging but we do have another venue lined up for a year. I am not sure September works for our audience with children being back at School on September 2nd

Linky

I’m just gonna try and sum up the discussions in this thread (mainly for myself, as I’ve been struggling to follow).

Really, the festival relies on two things:

- GF being good able to get insurance in time (which will more than likely be from the government, for some reason I can’t see them asking for money off the public) which is probably needed by some time between January and March.

AND

- Infection rates, and hospitalisation rates being at a decent level, as well as government restrictions allowing the festival to go ahead (which largely relies on our at-best incompetent government sticking to their suggestion that the 20 million vulnerable in the UK will be vaccinated by March)

Obviously then you have booking acts, hiring staff etc etc to do, but that again relies on the above being in place.

The way things are going, I can’t see those things happening in time, but I also don’t think it’s impossible. The government could pull through with insurance, and 20 million could be vaccinated by March (which would hopefully mean a considerable relaxation in restrictions in time for the festival, as well as a considerable drop in infection rates and hospitalisation rates). It just seems unlikely at the moment.

Now I am just a person who frequents this thread, but doesn’t post often, and as a teacher I know next to nothing about the festival industry, but have I missed anything major here?

2 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

I’m just gonna try and sum up the discussions in this thread (mainly for myself, as I’ve been struggling to follow).

Really, the festival relies on two things:

- GF being good able to get insurance in time (which will more than likely be from the government, for some reason I can’t see them asking for money off the public) which is probably needed by some time between January and March.

AND

- Infection rates, and hospitalisation rates being at a decent level, as well as government restrictions allowing the festival to go ahead (which largely relies on our at-best incompetent government sticking to their suggestion that the 20 million vulnerable in the UK will be vaccinated by March)

Obviously then you have booking acts, hiring staff etc etc to do, but that again relies on the above being in place.

The way things are going, I can’t see those things happening in time, but I also don’t think it’s impossible. The government could pull through with insurance, and 20 million could be vaccinated by March (which would hopefully mean a considerable relaxation in restrictions in time for the festival, as well as a considerable drop in infection rates and hospitalisation rates). It just seems unlikely at the moment.

Now I am just a person who frequents this thread, but doesn’t post often, and as a teacher I know next to nothing about the festival industry, but have I missed anything major here?

I think that’s a pretty good summarisation on the current state of play.

In my head, I think we will be in a position in June where the festival could have gone ahead, but there will be too much doubt in March/April. So the plug will be pulled. At least we will have some form of festival season hopefully 

1 minute ago, Jcatley said:

I think that’s a pretty good summarisation on the current state of play.

In my head, I think we will be in a position in June where the festival could have gone ahead, but there will be too much doubt in March/April. So the plug will be pulled. At least we will have some form of festival season hopefully 

Yea I agree, which will truly be heartbreaking. But you can fully understand ME/EE not risking it, the next month or two will clearly be vital, and I reckon by early March we’ll know what’s happening, probably a fair bit earlier.