Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Would you consider volunteering to get into the festival? I'd recommended it!

I guess it's an option but working or volunteering usually involves additional days before and/or after the festival so it might mean that I'd need to take between 8-10 days leave rather than the usual 4-5. Plus my day job is pretty intense and Glastonbury is an outlet. To have to work a large percentage of my holiday might be a push, physically and mentally. 

It comes down to how much I really want to go, I suppose. There are always options.

Even more reason for my hope that it goes ahead in 2021! 😄

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I guess it's an option but working or volunteering usually involves additional days before and/or after the festival so it might mean that I'd need to take between 8-10 days leave rather than the usual 4-5. Plus my day job is pretty intense and Glastonbury is an outlet. To have to work a large percentage of my holiday might be a push, physically and mentally. 

It comes down to how much I really want to go, I suppose. There are always options.

Fair play. Not all volunteering would need additional days. I did it with Oxfam last year, went down on the Tuesday and came back on the Monday. So maybe 1 additional day depending on when you normally head to the site. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Fair play. Not all volunteering would need additional days. I did it with Oxfam last year, went down on the Tuesday and came back on the Monday. So maybe 1 additional day depending on when you normally head to the site. 

One thing I would say - while I've bought a ticket for Glastonbury the past few years (and worked at several other festivals instead), that Tuesday (and the Monday if you choose) before the public arrive is probably one of the main benefits of working Glastonbury and the single biggest reason I might get tempted to choose working ahead of ticket buying.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Those are all the reasons I don't want to basically. Add in the fact that my partner absolutely wouldn't want to and I like to spend my holiday with him generally!

Back in 2014 I applied for everything before the resale as was desperate to get in by whatever means possible and would have done it happily then. Having missed a year now (2016) I know I can do other things instead and it's not the end of the world. 

I'd love to go, don't get me wrong, but will leave the volunteering to those that want it enough to go that route.

13 minutes ago, incident said:

One thing I would say - while I've bought a ticket for Glastonbury the past few years (and worked at several other festivals instead), that Tuesday (and the Monday if you choose) before the public arrive is probably one of the main benefits of working Glastonbury and the single biggest reason I might get tempted to choose working ahead of ticket buying.

That's definitely the biggest temptation for me of volunteering, for sure. Two or three shifts on Wed-Sun for early entry is definitely something I'd do to go, although being overseas makes the training sessions a real problem.

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That's definitely the biggest temptation for me of volunteering, for sure. Two or three shifts on Wed-Sun for early entry is definitely something I'd do to go, although being overseas makes the training sessions a real problem.

For some you can do the training online (Oxfam for sure, don't know about who else) 

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

My mate did not get a ticket in 2013 ( i think it was ) so he volunteered and because he was a mechanical engineer by trade and had the right driving licence he got a driving job .  Most  of which was driving to the back of The Pyramid stage in an  empty lorry and when given the signal , drive it up full to recycling ! 

No back breaking litter picking for him or cleaning the porta loo's !

2 minutes ago, ivan said:

My mate did not get a ticket in 2013 ( i think it was ) so he volunteered and because he was a mechanical engineer by trade and had the right driving licence he got a driving job .  Most  of which was driving to the back of The Pyramid stage in an  empty lorry and when given the signal , drive it up full to recycling ! 

No back breaking litter picking for him or cleaning the porta loo's !

Nice. It would make an interesting thread to see what people's best volunteering jobs have been over the years. It can't be all long drop cleaning and litter picking! 

7 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I know they said it would be an enforced fallow year and I've assumed that "resets" the clock on them.

Wouldn't make sense for them to do 22, 23 and then take a break would it.

No it wouldn't make sense. Fortunately they can reset the clock and go for another 4 festivals.

I’d imagine they could get buy in from the council/residents for an extended run if they desperately needed it, all things considered. They might not need it but I’m sure it would come in handy to have 6 or 7 in a row compared to 5. Of course they might still not want to piss the residents off if they don’t need to.

The nature of the land needing to recover is much overblown and not really the main reason. It makes sense from a farming point of view when you’ve got herds of animals sucking nutrients out every day for years one end. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

There seems to be quite a few people here speaking with absolute certainty about it not happening.

I think the truth is we simply don't know at the moment, so live with the uncertainty. Right now things look particularly bleak, but this will pass. With a bit of help on the insurances and flexibility from suppliers / acts etc. a final decision could be months away.

3 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Was it @pilton diggerthat confirmed 2020's cancellation on Efests before the official announcement in March? If so then I'll be waiting to see if we hear anything from them. 

No it was me, and I haven't heard anything about 2021 being cancelled. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The problem, (which I think is making everyone here be quite negative) is that the festival is only 6 months away. 

The time frame on which they can make a decision and go ahead is getting smaller and smaller.

I think they start building the fence in early April !

6 minutes ago, CY 2019 said:

I have not read the whole thread so I am sure it has already been discussed but how about pencilling in the festival to August / September time?

August would be near impossible due to the scheduling of numerous other events (not just festivals) meaning key resources and people wouldn't be available.

Mid September, ie the traditional Bestival weekend, would avoid most of those obstacles and so might be achievable but last word from Emily was that they weren't going to do that (can't remember the exact words but it doesn't sound likely.

4 minutes ago, ivan said:

First week in May.

The specifics have been gone over (I think in this thread) previously, but nothing that involves external staff or a cash outlay needs to happen before that.

3 minutes ago, ivan said:

Yeah people more knowledgeable then me here have spoken about how they could shorten the time to build the festival. But in essence you're right. They need to start building the site, by the very latest, by early May (8-10 weeks out) to be able to run it. 

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah people more knowledgeable then me here have spoken about how they could shorten the time to build the festival. But in essence you're right. They need to start building the site, by the very latest, by early May (8-10 weeks out) to be able to run it. 

and sort a resale in April .... maybe they can leave that later as they have in the past with mini resales ..... but it might be quite a significant pot of tickets ....

I would’ve thought one of the biggest headaches of all would be booking acts? Of course there will be tons that will be happy to play, but for any acts who had coincided Glastonbury with a tour, those tours will all be in the air so it might be difficult to get answers, and then it maybe becomes an issue to start building etc if they don’t have enough acts?