Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

5 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

Absolutely, there's far more money to be made from a business perspective. I guess Festival Republic could swallow it completely which would keep it going for a while - would be the jewel in their crown.

Not a chance of that. None whatsoever.

Live Nation (parent of Festival Republic) have been hit worse than nearly anyone by the pandemic and are still burning money. While it doesn't sound like they're in danger of collapse yet, they may be in trouble quickly if 2021 starts to get wiped out as well. Whereas Glastonbury likely started off with enough cash in the bank to absorb a couple of cancellations, and can easily raise millions overnight if they need to without having to take investment.

I genuinely hope they offer an option to donate 2021 (2020 rollover) deposits to the festival and buy a guaranteed 2022 deposit if you had one. I don't know what logistical headaches that gives See, but I'd happily let them keep my fifty quid and get another deposit for 2022. It doesn't have to be mandatory, but it feels like they have an open goal to minimise financial damage.

Its as good as gone at this point, expect confirmation early in the new year. There is no certainty available to them and thats what has effectively already killed it off.

Still hoping for some outdoor music in august / sept in the UK assuming vaccine roll out goes to plan but obviously glastonbury will not be part of that now

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Not a chance of that. None whatsoever.

Live Nation (parent of Festival Republic) have been hit worse than nearly anyone by the pandemic and are still burning money. While it doesn't sound like they're in danger of collapse yet, they may be in trouble quickly if 2021 starts to get wiped out as well. Whereas Glastonbury likely started off with enough cash in the bank to absorb a couple of cancellations, and can easily raise millions overnight if they need to without having to take investment.

Interesting. It's easy to think of these huge organisations as bottomless money pits, but it shows nobody is safe at the moment.

24 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I wonder if they might call it a day after the 50th anniversary (if it can run) - it sounds like financially it's very hard to pull off these days even without Covid because of prices of the land etc. Making it to the golden 50 would be amazing and in a way feels like the natural stopping point.

Technically the 50th anniversary has come & gone since the first GF was in 1970 and 2020 would have been the 50th anniversary of that first festival. However we are a little way off the actual 50th festival due to fallow years.

Unfortunately, that ‘yet’ means everything and Emily must know by now that despite their best efforts the likelihood of this going ahead now are incredibly slim. I anticipate a cancellation before the end of January, and hopefully not a week post-lineup like last year. 

Fucking sucks, and it was looking good for about a month there, but unfortunately the tides have turned the wrong way which makes what was already gonna be a tough go of the festival seem pretty impossible.

5 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

Interesting. It's easy to think of these huge organisations as bottomless money pits, but it shows nobody is safe at the moment.

Essentially - LN are currently raising money again, and as a result will have taken on more than $2 billion in additional debt in the space of just over a year. They're not going to be buying other festivals any time soon, if anything they'll be selling.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Live Nation has tapped into the bottomless pit of the Saudi royals since the pandemic broke. It's going nowhere.

From what I've read, isn't that more that the Saudis bought a sizeable amount of shares when they were (perceived to be) cheap, rather than investing actual capital into the company? Hence the multiple debt rounds since then.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

From what I've read, isn't that more that the Saudis bought a sizeable amount of shares when they were (perceived to be) cheap, rather than investing actual capital into the company? Hence the multiple debt rounds since then.

Yup, that's what "investments" normally are - essentially just a bank for someone's cash, with no actual investment of benefit to the company.

However, the Saudi's won't be flushing their money away, so if LN has need for a shareholder's injection of cash I'm sure they'll get it.

49 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I wonder if they might call it a day after the 50th anniversary (if it can run) - it sounds like financially it's very hard to pull off these days even without Covid because of prices of the land etc. Making it to the golden 50 would be amazing and in a way feels like the natural stopping point.

It brings in about 40 million+ every year. It's a product that people will pay for. It might need to hibernate for a few years but it's not going anywhere. 

Even if the Eavis's didn't want to do it anymore they don't own all the land. It's such a money spinner you could conceivably see the other land owners in the area coming together to try to do a replacement.

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It brings in about 40 million+ every year. It's a product that people will pay for. It might need to hibernate for a few years but it's not going anywhere. 

Even if the Eavis's didn't want to do it anymore they don't own all the land. It's such a money spinner you could conceivably see the other land owners in the area coming together to try to do a replacement.

I reckon it’s even higher as they get £33.5m from ticket sales alone. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's a sobering thought that in the event of a 2021 cancellation and a rollover of tickets into 2022 (which is fair), my next possible visit will be 2023. Yikes. 

Would you consider volunteering to get into the festival? I'd recommended it!