Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Feel like that ‘yet’ is significant

Yes it is, but if she hadn’t added that it might have just looked a bit too optimistic.  Much better to hold out some hope whilst still being cautious.  At least we can ignore all the tweets and rumours flying around from trolls and the uninformed.  Let’s just wait for the festival to make the decision, can’t see it being too long until we know 

Just now, K2SO said:

If it doesn't go ahead next year, could we have potentially seen the final festival in 2019?

Could the business stay afloat? A lot of festivals were saying this summer that they needed 2021 to go ahead for them to survive.

They said earlier that they can survive one more festival out in 2021 if its cancelled in time

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

If it doesn't go ahead next year, could we have potentially seen the final festival in 2019?

Could the business stay afloat? A lot of festivals were saying this summer that they needed 2021 to go ahead for them to survive.

I wonder if they might call it a day after the 50th anniversary (if it can run) - it sounds like financially it's very hard to pull off these days even without Covid because of prices of the land etc. Making it to the golden 50 would be amazing and in a way feels like the natural stopping point.

3 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I wonder if they might call it a day after the 50th anniversary (if it can run) - it sounds like financially it's very hard to pull off these days even without Covid because of prices of the land etc. Making it to the golden 50 would be amazing and in a way feels like the natural stopping point.

They'd sell the rights to another company and go into partnership first i feel

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

They'd sell the rights to another company and go into partnership first i feel

Absolutely, there's far more money to be made from a business perspective. I guess Festival Republic could swallow it completely which would keep it going for a while - would be the jewel in their crown.

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

They lost about 2 million during the (planned for) 2018 fallow year.

They had about net assets (which should mostly be cash in the bank) of 6.5 million as of 31st March 2019, and that should have increased due to the 2019 festival.

They probably lost more than 2 million in 2020, but I doubt that anyone who actually knows how much is going to say.

They have plenty possible ways of making extra cash, if they want / need to, that they've not yet explored.

Can't see any reason to be worried yet.

8 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I think the only way to save the festival is if it doesn't go ahead next year. Bailing early is the only way they'll ensure they're putting minimal money at risk.

7 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I reckon there is enough support from artists who would be willing to help out the festival as well as the ordinary punters. Maybe it’s just my blind love for the event that makes me say that it’s like no other festival, it’s unique and part of the nations culture. Folk will be prepared to offer it support. Other festivals come and go, they have a lifespan, I just don’t see our Glastonbury like that, but maybe I’m just naive.