Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The government will either underwrite insurance for the entire industry or they won’t, Glastonbury’s size had nothing to do with it.

if Germany’s scheme is worth £2.5bn, and if our events industry is even half the size of theirs, how much of a percentage of that figure do you seriously think Glastonbury costs to put on?

Germany's scheme is worth €2.5bn only if all event organisers sign up to it since they are required to pay an insurance premium. The German government  are not putting in €2.5bn. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm intrigued at how they have retweeted the s*n article saying nothing had been decided on Friday and there was a state of play discussion on Monday and then is able to confirm outcome of talks by 10am.

Surely it would take longer than an hour?

Agreed, sounds fishy. But that is a big statement to make if it’s only a guess, sacrificing any future credibility if wrong. Of course, it could be just a wind-up account!

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm intrigued at how they have retweeted the s*n article saying nothing had been decided on Friday and there was a state of play discussion on Monday and then is able to confirm outcome of talks by 10am.

Surely it would take longer than an hour?

This. And he said he doesn't work for them, just with them. So if they've already started telling the people they work with, then why aren't others posting about it?

I've tried to remain positive through this and, for a brief moment after the first vaccine approval, I convinced myself it would go ahead but this past week I've resigned myself to the fact it won't be happening. 

Too much going against it unfortunately. Mass testing wouldn't work, for so many reasons. Any sort of restrictions there would just take away from the Glastonbury experience and, of course, the time needed to build the site and all that comes with that.

Absolutely devastating but if/when the official announcement comes, it won't quite hit me as hard as the 2020 festival. That really was a hard dose of reality, think at that point I still thought all this would 'blow over'. I just hope the festival can survive to go ahead in 2022, the industry really is taking a battering here.

Interesting note on the headliner, praying it's McCartney but not holding out much hope. Think Paul will be 80 by then? I remember an interview somewhere not long back where he said he wouldn't be surprised if he's played as last gig, with all this shit going on. Grim.

I smell at least one inconsistency - why would Macca know of it before the decision had been made in earnest today? They wouldn't be saying anything categorical unless and until they'd actually decided, surely.

Also, why would somebody not on the payroll be informed of such a momentous decision, presumably immediately after it had been made, given it's not yet mid-morning in the UK?

I mean who knows, maybe whoever it is is actually clued in. Maybe he's guessing and he'll coincidentally be right. I'd just need more than an anonymous Twitter account to be sure.

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Interesting note on the headliner, praying it's McCartney but not holding out much hope. Think Paul will be 80 by then? I remember an interview somewhere not long back where he said he wouldn't be surprised if he's played as last gig, with all this shit going on. Grim.

Reg should have finished bleeding every little village in the entire world dry of cash by that point, so maybe he'd step in?

The thing that gets me is if the festival is cancelled, it makes complete logical sense as GFL are protecting themselves from losing millions again. With the new strain detected in South East UK and countries also closing borders to the UK, it just seems to make sense.

I very much hope I'm wrong as we can't verify the authenticity of the source. But hopefully if the account gains attention of the media it will get the Festival to give us a (positive or negative) update. Maybe this will get us some official news.

The account also isn't all doom and gloom (rolling over tickets, streaming plans etc) which makes me wonder if it is a troll. Normally they try and paint a much more negative picture.

Edited by discgoesmic

i kind of think this new strain may improve the chances a tiny bit, or at least not make tons of impact. its going to mean proper lockdown and lower cases and the travel bans will mean that less international transmission will take place. vaccines will get in no doubt, i'd have though they fly most of them in but i am sure they will be allowed to skip all the queues etc. its going to be a shit few months but i think on the other side the chances of 2021 going ahead will look quite similar to what they did about 1-2 weeks ago

Edited by gfa

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

i kind of think this new strain may improve the chances a tiny bit, or at least not make tons of impact. its going to mean proper lockdown and lower cases and the travel bans will mean that less international transmission will take place. vaccines will get in no doubt, i'd have though they fly most of them in but i am sure they will be allowed to skip all the queues etc. its going to be a shit few months but i think on the other side the chances of 2021 going ahead will look quite similar to what they did about 1-2 weeks ago

A harsh lockdown in January is what we need to get cases back under control while the vaccine is rolled out. 

Summer 21 will be business as usual. 

• Upvote 1