Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

12 hours ago, Harry49 said:

I put down a deposit for End of the Road this week as It is looking like an end of summer festival is best case at the moment.

I've got this and Green Man rolled over from this year...if we're not good to go by then we'll be worrying about Glasto 2022.

16 hours ago, kalifire said:

The Sun could obviously be wrong but I recall they’ve been referred to as a source who do get things right more than your typical tabloid. I recall Neil saying as much in times gone by. 

nah, never said that. They have been right before - but even then, often it'as stuff that could be guessed at with a decent chance of being right.

As they might be with this story: after all, if Glastonbury gets cancelled they end up looking like they knew something when in fact everything about the story could have been made up.

And it looks like the central part IS made up. Whatever might be happening with the bookers the intention at the moment is very clearly to go keep on pushing ahead. Emily's interview the other day made clear they haven't given up on it yet even if they might feel they'll have to give up on it fairly soon.

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Fuck off! I'm taking my information from official NHS Resources. I did a check based on two people within 63.

It's the fucking reality of it I'm afraid. How many 66 year old's do you think on average attend Glastonbury and other large events mind over the 18/19 to 50 crowd?

download.jpg

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm a little worried about the lack of a counter press narrative like with the move to September. If it wasn't true they'd have made a statement saying so.

No idea if it's bollocks or not, but some Twitter account claiming to be in the know said they were having a state of play meeting on Monday. So maybe after that they'll say something? Choosing how to play it?

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm a little worried about the lack of a counter press narrative like with the move to September. If it wasn't true they'd have made a statement saying so.

Nah, Glastonbury's default is to ignore and not comment on press stories.

As far as I can recall, the "not moving to Sept" thing from Emily was the first time in 20 years they've commented on a rumour that's started from efestivals. I'm not sure why they felt they need to squash that particular rumour.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

a state of play meeting on Monday

First draft for the licence needs to be submitted imminently, so I suspect it might be linked to that.

But I'm not sure a decision to cancel will be taken. Logically they'd want to leave that as late as they possibly can and I'd say right now is a bit too early for that, particularly when it's not impossible the govt might still come thru with insurance.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

First draft for the licence needs to be submitted imminently, so I suspect it might be linked to that.

But I'm not sure a decision to cancel will be taken. Logically they'd want to leave that as late as they possibly can and I'd say right now is a bit too early for that, particularly when it's not impossible the govt might still come thru with insurance.

Yep I agree. Was just thinking that might be a time for them to discuss a response to the news stories, but as you say they don't usually comment.

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The chances of Government coming through with insurance for GFL is deminishing with each passing day of the pandemic. Even an exact duplication of the lauded German scheme would not help as it applies to German festivals in 2021H2. And, as with any insurance scheme, it entails paying a premium with any pay out subject to excesses and limits. Consider the conseqences if the UK were to bring in a similar scheme which did include GF. The risk of a pay out would probably be rated as high or very high and presumably GFL's premium fee be high too. With GF being the largest festival its cancellation and would have serious consequences for the scheme finances. Including such a potentially high risk high payout policy within the insurance portfolio may be to the detriment of other festivals as their premiums may well be inflated disproportionately to their risk in order to generate cover capitol for the larger event.

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

If  god forbid it, Glastonbury doesn't happen next year but everything else does: what would be your big festival/event for the year?

I'm still tempted by Blue Dot if the line-up is the same (I think headliners are). Nearly bought a ticket last year. Also even if Glasto is on I might need an alternative without a ticket! Fancy that New Order gig in September too.

19 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

If  god forbid it, Glastonbury doesn't happen next year but everything else does: what would be your big festival/event for the year?

End of the Road.

Combination of September dates and far smaller numbers gives me the smallest twinkle of hope that something in some format might be cobbled together for that.

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

whatever smaller events Glastonbury run to get some kind of income ... 

One thing I'd like to see Glastonbury try one day, is a city festival hosted by multiple venues, probably in Bristol. Could be good for like September/October. Might not be able to get any huge acts, but could still have a good lineup. I'd go 

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

One thing I'd like to see Glastonbury try one day, is a city festival hosted by multiple venues, probably in Bristol. Could be good for like September/October. Might not be able to get any huge acts, but could still have a good lineup. I'd go 

I think a backup plan is going to be lots of smaller and shorter events on the eavis land with testing .... just to keep an income ticking over .... 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

The only other one I have a ticket for at the moment is Bearded Theory. It's early which reduces it's chances of happening, yet being much smaller maybe that's in it's favour. My local festival Head For The Hills is planning to go ahead, being September that must have a good shot so I'll be working it.

28 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The only other one I have a ticket for at the moment is Bearded Theory. It's early which reduces it's chances of happening, yet being much smaller maybe that's in it's favour.

They have a couple of alternative dates lined up and even an alternative venue if required with a load of acts signed up that are as flexible. More news by end of January.

• Upvote 1