Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

Can I just address this "The sun usually get Glastonbury stories right" myth?

They don't. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong - and occasionally, badly wrong.

The myth seems to be founded on them getting a couple headliners well ahead of everyone else about 5-10 years ago. But they've also called headliners wrong several times since then - most notably when they exclusively announced that Foo Fighters were headlining the 2016 Festival, after everyone else was already certain that they were ruled out, and the over the course of the next several months repeated that claim multiple times right up until the official announcement confirmed that they were talking bollocks all along.

11 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Anyone thinking of going to another festival instead? Which one?

Not for 2021 as I’m going to Glastonbury. Normally when I’m one of the unlucky ticketless I go to Sziget in Budapest. Great vibe and weather. Most importantly it’s not in the UK so the country isn’t run by a bunch of idiots. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

17 minutes ago, incident said:

Can I just address this "The sun usually get Glastonbury stories right" myth?

They don't. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong - and occasionally, badly wrong.

Yup.

However, I think their story this time possibly has an element of truth within it - that new bookings are on hold (because all spending is).  Added to it is that Emily is downbeat and has said in that beeb interview that it's looking doubtful.

So the sun has stretched things to say it's already cancelled.

And it's one of those stories where there's a decent likelihood they could end up being right.

And then this "The sun usually get Glastonbury stories right" myth goes around again.

I'm pretty sure that no final decision to cancel has been taken yet. That decision might be taken next month .... but I'm hoping that Glastonbury will hold out for as long as they possibly can because things are going to look a lot less grim in 3 months time.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

This is a genuine question but could one of us create a Just Giving page for the festival? If everyone here gave say £3 and it could publicity online then GFL would easily raise a considerable amount for their purposes which could be better than going to the government?

a better idea, perhaps, would be to set something up for ticket holders to underwrite the festival for cancellation.

"As a ticketholder, I pledge £xx to Glastonbury if it's cancelled". Something like that.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

a better idea, perhaps, would be to set something up for ticket holders to underwrite the festival for cancellation.

"As a ticketholder, I pledge £xx to Glastonbury if it's cancelled". Something like that.

That’s a good idea.

Hypothetically speaking say I did create a Just Giving page and it received a small but not negligible amount of donations; there’s nothing stopping me doing that then giving that to the festival is there? There’s so much goodwill to GFL I was just wondering if this was something that could ever gain traction.

Just now, Ozanne said:

That’s a good idea.

Hypothetically speaking say I did create a Just Giving page and it received a small but not negligible amount of donations; there’s nothing stopping me doing that then giving that to the festival is there? There’s so much goodwill to GFL I was just wondering if this was something that could ever gain traction.

To be blunt, without prior approval/involvement of GFL, then you'd be opening yourself up to all kinds of accusations and problems (even if they're not true).

And I doubt you'd get that prior approval - if they need to raise cash then they know that they could do it themselves in multiple ways.

Just a quick note for anyone who sees a The Sun story linked and wants to read it (because that Glastonbury story's probably had 50 clicks from this thread alone), you can run the URL through http://www.archive.is and it'll recover a cached version of it, so you don't give them any traffic.

I don't need to remind people here, but The Sun are hands-down the worst newspaper in the country, with journalists who've lied and put out horrific stories on people, who regularly publish 'news' that is based on flimsy sources purely because they exist to get people onto their site and buying the paper. Don't give it any more credence than you would something you saw "from a source" on Twitter.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, incident said:

To be blunt, without prior approval/involvement of GFL, then you'd be opening yourself up to all kinds of accusations and problems (even if they're not true).

And I doubt you'd get that prior approval - if they need to raise cash then they know that they could do it themselves in multiple ways.

I wasn’t aware of that, sorry for my dumbness here. If it was done off people’s own backs would they be likely to turn the donation down and request it go elsewhere?

I guess there's nothing stopping you.

I'm not sure how Glastonbury would feel about it tho. While I 100% get where you're coming from with it, it's a little odd to treat someone as a charity case over costs they've not yet run up and can avoid running up (if they cancel early), and it being done with them in the dark about it.

I'd say that if you wanted to pursue this idea it would be polite to talk to them about it. Perhaps approach them and ask them how they might feel about a ticketholder-led drive for the ticketholders to underwrite cancellation?

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I guess there's nothing stopping you.

I'm not sure how Glastonbury would feel about it tho. While I 100% get where you're coming from with it, it's a little odd to treat someone as a charity case over costs they've not yet run up and can avoid running up (if they cancel early), and it being done with them in the dark about it.

I'd say that if you wanted to pursue this idea it would be polite to talk to them about it. Perhaps approach them and ask them how they might feel about a ticketholder-led drive for the ticketholders to underwrite cancellation?

Fair play mate, thanks!

I wasn’t aware of that, sorry for my dumbness here. If it was done off people’s own backs would they be likely to turn the donation down and request it go elsewhere?

No idea what they'd do with the money if offered (and I guess that'd depend on their own situation which we can only guess at) - but I was thinking more along the lines of -

- You set up the page, and post it on here.
- The media (or at least Somerset Live) see it.
- They ask GFL press office about it and are told something like "we don't know anything about it" or "it's not sanctioned by us".
- They run that aspect of the story (and they would), meaning you get accused of all kinds of shit.

Overall I think it's more hassle / risk (specifically to the person doing it) than it's worth. The festival do have many routes to generate cash if they need to, and so far have only done so in a limited way to raise money for the joint charities.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Re. fundraising, GFL are a business with an incredibly successful product, they'll manage!

The charities they support on the other hand...

They’ll manage if they cancel now or soon and don’t go ahead, the fund raising people are talking about is to underwrite the cost of going ahead and then needing to cancel.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not for 2021 as I’m going to Glastonbury. Normally when I’m one of the unlucky ticketless I go to Sziget in Budapest. Great vibe and weather. Most importantly it’s not in the UK so the country isn’t run by a bunch of idiots. 

Erm..

Hungary's leadership is about as bad as it gets in Europe right now, certainly within the EU.  The UK, thankfully, is nowhere near the awfulness they have over there.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As a ticket holder I would be happy to forgo the £50 deposit I’ve already paid to help the festival if they cannot go ahead next year and just pay a new deposit in October.

31 minutes ago, incident said:

No idea what they'd do with the money if offered (and I guess that'd depend on their own situation which we can only guess at) - but I was thinking more along the lines of -

- They ask GFL press office about it and are told something like "we don't know anything about it" or "it's not sanctioned by us".
- They run that aspect of the story (and they would), meaning you get accused of all kinds of shit.

Overall I think it's more hassle / risk (specifically to the person doing it) than it's worth. The festival do have many routes to generate cash if they need to, and so far have only done so in a limited way to raise money for the joint charities.

Thanks for going into detail mate, it was more just an idea but good to have some insight!

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

And if your wording means anything, it means the Eavii simply need to think up another name, so losing an 's' to make "Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Art" fulfils that clause, if they wanted to take the piss out of the council

There's a great story about them doing just that in the early days when licencing was harder. That's why it's technically not a music festival but an arts festival. 

Can’t work out how to share, but relevant news posted by @Mellotr0n in another thread: 

From The Telegraph today-

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved within days of Christmas, kickstarting a massive drive to give jabs to millions of people in January, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Whitehall sources believe the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will authorise the vaccines on December 28 or 29 after final data is provided to the regulator on Monday.

Football stadia and other sites across the country will then be opened from the first week of January, to allow mass vaccinations on a scale never seen before in the UK. 

However, the progress comes amid growing fears that England is about to enter a third lockdown, with the Prime Minister recently refusing to rule out following Wales and Northern Ireland in such a course of action. 

Last week the NHS began the first Covid-19 vaccination programme in the world, with jabs given to around 140,000 elderly people and health and care workers in the first seven days. 

This week the rollout has expanded far more widely, with around 400 GP centres now involved, as well as 83 hospitals. 

Over the weekend, the total number of Britons who have received the jab is expected to pass the 500,000 mark, The Telegraph understands. 

By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

Once the Oxford jab gets the green light, the opening of mass vaccination centres will mean this can be increased to several million doses a week, Whitehall sources say. 

It means Britain is on course to vaccinate the 20 million most vulnerable people by March, allowing far greater release of restrictions, with the prospect the whole country could be vaccinated by summer. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/18/exclusive-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-expecting-approval-within/

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, incident said:

This is why you need to be careful

New fund for A4 crash victims memorial after fake appeal is exposed | Wiltshire Times

2 hours ago, incident said:

To be honest, if they do need cash they have only to ask. Whether it’s the better off artists or just ordinary punters like myself there would be a willingness to voluntarily contribute . But I think we are a long way from that situation.  Currently I’m more concerned about the loss of income to the smaller artists, the builders, the traders etc and the charities such as wateraid 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

10 hours ago, ivan said:

I don’t think The Sun would have published  the story had they not been confident it was correct.

That's the maddest statement I've ever read on here and Matt42 once said The Republicans could take California in the US elections. 

The Sun will print any old shit they think they can get away with. This was only yesterday...

This account has sprung up on Twitter in the last few days. Absolutely no idea of its validity but claim to be a Glastonbury insider and says there are discussions due on Monday. Could be complete bollocks but says something when I'm more inclined to believe an anonymous account on Twitter than a national newspaper.