Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

23 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But if we assume Emily isn't the type to lie, we know that it isn't cancelled from her interview a couple of days ago

I suspect that it hasn’t been cancelled yet, but they know it’s very unlikely to go ahead.  You can tell by the rather downbeat language Emily used that she didn’t want to build up our hopes. Macca will be in the loop and got ahead of himself. 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hmmmmmm..... pinch of salt. But let's see. If it is true, we will know soon enough.

I still don't get why Emily would put that interview out a few days ago. And reading as the first festival of the summer?

Edited by zahidf

The Sun does seem to be more accurate with Glastonbury than it is with most things, but yeah massive pinch of salt with the timing of that following the Macca interview.

I think if it the cancellation rumour whips up at the rate it has been doing today, we should be in for an announcement of sorts  in the not too distant future. It's obviously not good to have such a pronounced question mark over the event when other lineups and stuff are rolling out and people might be thinking of committing their Glasto ticket money to something else.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The Sun does seem to be more accurate with Glastonbury than it is with most things, but yeah massive pinch of salt with the timing of that following the Macca interview.

I think if it the cancellation rumour whips up at the rate it has been doing today, we should be in for an announcement of sorts  in the not too distant future. It's obviously not good to have such a pronounced question mark over the event when other lineups and stuff are rolling out and people might be thinking of committing their Glasto ticket money to something else.

Thing is, I'm happy to wait until end of Jan and I would suspect that they would as well. So why its all coming up now is... odd

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Thing is, I'm happy to wait until end of Jan and I would suspect that they would as well. So why its all coming up now is... odd

I suspect if it is cancelled they might have begun to move somethings into place before Christmas to be able to make the anouncement in the new year and it's leaked. 

Similar to March when someone on this forum broke the news the day before.

29 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The Sun have a scoop so to speak and they will be confident their information is correct.

26 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Why on earth would they be putting out the feelers for cancelling this early?

no story, move on. Obviously it could be cancelled but noooo way would any decision be more on it yet surely?!

Its not early !

G likes to have headliners in place by Jan , we are winding down for the 2 week Xmas break  and i suspect someone possibly an agent has spoke to The Sun who are confident the information is correct.

We are not talking national security so The Sun having a scoop will go with it.

Expect an official announcement soon 

Whilst I don’t think 2021 is going to be happening, these rumours scream tabloid journalist needing clickbait (particularly given that the Scum is on its knees, has laid off lots of staff of the last few months, and media advertising is all just gone).

if Glasto is off, there’s no need to drag it out until the end of Jan or Feb, the minute it’s decided its 100% not happening there will be an announcement, until then there will still be some hope in worthy farm for it to go ahead. 

For what it’s worth, I work in events and we’re still going ahead with first two weeks of April as the benchmark for our first non-distanced event (requiring testing) and I know many of the London venues we work with are operating towards the same date. From our side, yes this recent spike is utterly shit, but it’s not something that anyone with any knowledge wasn’t expecting, so it hasn’t actually changed the approach at all. Let’s get the Oxford vaccine over the line, accept Jan-March are going to be bleak and then look forward to a potential slow unlocking from April/May 

Edited by mike46
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Whilst I don’t think 2021 is going to be happening, these rumours scream tabloid journalist needing clickbait (particularly given that the Scum is on its knees, has laid off lots of staff of the last few months, and media advertising is all just gone).

if Glasto is off, there’s no need to drag it out until the end of Jan or Feb, the minute it’s decided its 100% not happening there will be an announcement, until then there will still be some hope in worthy farm for it to go ahead. 

For what it’s worth, I work in events and we’re still going ahead with first two weeks of April as the benchmark for our first non-distanced event (requiring testing) and I know many of the London venues we work with are operating towards the same date. From our side, yes this recent spike is utterly shit, but it’s not something that anyone with any knowledge wasn’t expecting, so it hasn’t actually changed the approach at all. Let’s get the Oxford vaccine over the line, accept Jan-March are going to be bleak and then look forward to a potential slow unlocking from April/May 

I don’t think The Sun would have published  the story had they not been confident it was correct.

This reminds of All The Presidents Men - presented with the evidence from Woodward & Bernstein about Watergate  the editor Ben Bradley says

“Run with it “ - but you better be f@@@@ng right ! “

Edited by ivan
SpellIng

2 minutes ago, ivan said:

I don’t The Sun would have published  the story had they not been confident it was correct.

This reminds of All The Presidents Men - presented with the evidence from Woodward & Bernstein about Watergate  the editor Ben Bradley says

“Run with it “ - but you better be f@@@@ng right !

Ermmm.... have you heard of the sun before?

Anyway, people on here have their own contacts. If its true on the booking team being stood down we Will know soon

Just now, ivan said:

I don’t The Sun would have published  the story had they not been confident it was correct.

“Run with it “ - but you better be f@@@@ng right !

I’m sure whoever published the story believes there’s some truth, but I also know the paper is weeks away from closure and are desperately trying everything they can to attract advertisers through some highly questionable figures on CTR which are laughable. Stories like this generate clicks and help to buy advertisers time. 

we’ll see in the next day or so, there’s no need for Glasto to hold off announcing 2021 is off if the decision has been made. If there’s no announcement, then there will still be some date they’re working towards, no matter how arbitrary it might seem... or, if like some of our policies, it will be an insurance matter that the show is happening until they trigger a certain point.

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

Admittedly his words are not completely meaningless as he did say (and verbatim):

"I mean I think they've cancelled Glastonbury for '21 haven't they"

That is very different to saying "I don't think Glastonbury is likely to go ahead"

And he was a headliner for this year's festival! It's pure denial to portray this as the random ramblings of an old man with no links to the festival. Headliners have been announced this early before.

It's highly likely he had more information than us.

15 minutes ago, mike46 said:

I’m sure whoever published the story believes there’s some truth, but I also know the paper is weeks away from closure and are desperately trying everything they can to attract advertisers through some highly questionable figures on CTR which are laughable. Stories like this generate clicks and help to buy advertisers time. 

we’ll see in the next day or so, there’s no need for Glasto to hold off announcing 2021 is off if the decision has been made. If there’s no announcement, then there will still be some date they’re working towards, no matter how arbitrary it might seem... or, if like some of our policies, it will be an insurance matter that the show is happening until they trigger a certain point.

Wait, what? The scum is "weeks away from closure"?

Finally, some good news from 2020?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mike46 said:

Whoever published the story must have had it passed by a higher authority.

If someone messaged Neil and told him Led Zep were gonna reform and play do you think he would publish that ? No he would want solid sources and proof

I believe someone has spoken to The Sun and they are confident they have the story correct 

On a different but similar matter.

If all of the losses due to Covid had been insured the losses would have been over $1 trillion.

That unfortunately is where insurers say “That is beyond us” and only the US Government or World Bank can assist.

Edited by ivan
Spell

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Ermmm.... have you heard of the sun before?

Anyway, people on here have their own contacts. If its true on the booking team being stood down we Will know soon

My partner works for the Ambulance Service.  Sometimes they try to keep under wraps that say two Paramedics have been suspended for allegedly shagging in the back of an ambulance whilst on duty.

Then the local tv or paper ring up and say “ What’s this about the shagging in the ambulance ? “

The Ambulance Service  cannot lie but try and deflect the issue “ its under investigation” etc  and they will try and change the subject or offer another story but the journalist may be confident they can publish the story .

And how did the journalist find out ?   The Sun will be  confident their source within or near to G has come up with a valid story.

7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I suspect that it hasn’t been cancelled yet, but they know it’s very unlikely to go ahead.  You can tell by the rather downbeat language Emily used that she didn’t want to build up our hopes. Macca will be in the loop and got ahead of himself. 

That's exactly what I think happened. I interpreted Emily's remarks as 'unless the government step in to help, it's not happening'. She can also say they're doing everything they can to make it work next year, and both things can be true. But given the context in which she couched that comment, I don't see how anyone could be positive about it as things stand.

They'll have talked with Macca's people, probably saying something like 'it doesn't look likely', which would explain why he said he 'thinks' it's cancelled rather than being more categorical. Barring a miracle, I think the writing's on the wall for 2021. We're six months out and the Saturday night headliner isn't booked and is suggesting it's cancelled. It was more surprising to me that he called it a 'super spreader' event. Ouch. That had to hurt at HQ.

Fuck. Just caught up with The Scum's story too (they've haven't been terrible with their Glasto scoops in the past).

Even if bollocks, the pressure is on the festival to say something soon. It could be that Macca's team were told very recently, and the Scum's story about the booking team being stood down was also very recent, meaning GFL may have had communication about the government's intention not to bail out the festival since her interview. I mean, it's all complete speculation of course, but this could all have happened within the last few days.

Can you imagine how special 2022 would be?