Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 minutes ago, Homersexual said:

Is there something written in the legal terms that means that Glastonbury has to be on the last weekend in June, or could they consider moving it to later on in the year? Hopefully we’ll have seen off the virus come September...

the licence allows as many festivals at any time of year as the Eavii might want.

However, there's a strong expectation from the council that there won't be more than one a year, and with a year off now and then.

So in theory they could move the dates without any difficulties as far as the licence is concerned. 

There might be big difficulties with land availability, as well as suppliers and staff.

21 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I do think people are losing the plot a little bit. What Paul McCartney says isn't hugely relevant unless he has been directly informed the festival is not happening.

What we really need to worry about is whether:

- Can we ramp up vaccination rollout in the next few weeks/months

- Will there be a shift in Government stance on support for the sector and larger festivals

- Just how bad all the mixing at Christmas will be

- Will the Government act fast in January and enforce a proper lockdown (closer to the one in March vs the one in November, with the former helping to reduce rates)

I am sure there are other factors which other well informed people may have mentioned but I really don't care much for what Macca is saying and we just need to hold tight 😬

Precisely this.

As it stands the Oxford vaccine hasn’t been approved, however likely or imminent it is, the reality is it hasn’t been, so nobody can make any decisions and give any promises based on something that isn’t yet available.

As it stands Macca is right, as it stands it would be pretty impossible for the festival to go ahead, and that’s even parking to one side the possibility of a testing programme that enables it vaccines or no vaccines.

As and when the Oxford vaccine gets approved the landscape completely changes, we’ll still need to see what impact it has, but it needs to be approved first and it hasn’t, yet.

A lot of people rightly view the festival being on until its officially cancelled, but I think it’s more the opposite, at the moment it can’t happen, but that could very easily change.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Admittedly his words are not completely meaningless as he did say (and verbatim):

"I mean I think they've cancelled Glastonbury for '21 haven't they"

That is very different to saying "I don't think Glastonbury is likely to go ahead"

Maybe he assumed that based on the fact he isnt booked yet?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Maybe he assumed that based on the fact he isnt booked yet?

Yes, maybe. Or maybe his agent had told him the whole thing was off and he forgot not to keep it schtum hence the backtracking.

Certainly it could mean something negative and it doesn't mean something positive!

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

"It's not cancelled Paul, they just don't need you this year"

Ha!

He said earlier in the interview that he doesn't have any gigs booked for next year. So it could be the case that Glastonbury haven't asked him to play again yet until they are sure its going ahead

1 minute ago, swede said:

When Billie Eilish and Paul McCartney, both huge stars but at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of fans, say they ain’t playing live shows next year, I’d take that as a massive sign festivals  aren’t happening boys and girls 

Again, two artists that can afford a break. Many acts that need this for their livelihoods will take a very different view. Now that may not mean big festivals have a hope but to rule out large gigs of any kind is premature.

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the licence allows as many festivals at any time of year as the Eavii might want.

However, there's a strong expectation from the council that there won't be more than one a year, and with a year off now and then.

Licence actually says.....

A1. This licence shall authorise one Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary 
Performing Arts per calendar year that allows access to public ticket holders 
on the premises for no more than 6 days.

It also says that an Event Management Plan has to be submitted no later than 180 days before event commencement, which would exactly next Friday.  It only states it needs to be a first draft though, so perfectly possible they could just submit last years to demonstrate intent and then finalise as/ when circumstances dictate.

Edited by parsonjack

Macca's ability to predict the future is no better than anyone else's. 

The festival probably has until March to make a final decision. Three critical months in terms of vaccine rollout and further lockdowns.

I do hope the government steps in to help with the insurance situation, not just for Glastonbury, but all festivals, and indeed the entire live music industry. 

I can't see on-site testing to be honest. I think it would be logistically impossible. But I can see some sort of "proof of vaccination" effort happening. Considering they already have our names and photos, Glastonbury probably is better equipped to do this than most other festivals.

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

The festival probably has until March to make a final decision. Three critical months in terms of vaccine rollout and further lockdowns.

I do hope the government steps in to help with the insurance situation, not just for Glastonbury, but all festivals, and indeed the entire live music industry. 

I can't see on-site testing to be honest. I think it would be logistically impossible. But I can see some sort of "proof of vaccination" effort happening. Considering they already have our names and photos, Glastonbury probably is better equipped to do this than most other festivals.

Totally agree that prior testing could be acceptable to reduce risk.

But surely March is too late, given the need to all but build a town with everything that involves.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Totally agree that prior testing could be acceptable to reduce risk.

But surely March is too late, given the need to all but build a town with everything that involves.

I think the build is surprisingly late given all that it entails, and bear in mind much of it is in use at other places before and after the festival anyway, so to an extent it has to be. I’d be amazed if anything actually gets built at all as early as March, it’s more going to be that everyone involved from a supplier perspective will need some sort of certainty either way by March-ish at the latest. 

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I hope it's not proof of vaccination as the vast majority of you lot won't be able to go as won't be vaccinated until summer/autumn (and me if I can get a ticket!).

For that reason I can't see it being that.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think the build is surprisingly late given all that it entails, and bear in mind much of it is in use at other places before and after the festival anyway, so to an extent it has to be. I’d be amazed if anything actually gets built at all as early as March, it’s more going to be that everyone involved from a supplier perspective will need some sort of certainty either way by March-ish at the latest. 

Sorry I meant in terms of agreeing contracts etc with all the key suppliers (and there being so many of them) rather than the build itself.

13 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

That is a complete non-starter as 90%+ of their customers won't have been vaccinated by then.

Edited by xxialac

Sorry I meant in terms of agreeing contracts etc with all the key suppliers (and there being so many of them) rather than the build itself.

With the supplier thing, could this not be delayed this year, given that if Glastonbury can't go ahead, then it's not as if the suppliers will be missing out on any other work, given if Glastonbury can't go ahead, then other events they'd be supplying to won't be able to go ahead either? As a result, is it not in the supplier's interests to work to a slightly tighter timeline this year in the possibility of hopefully getting the green light and being able to go ahead, rather than not being flexible and missing out on a load of potential business from Glastonbury? I'm sure it's not as simple as what I've just said but was just a thought I had. 

I think that’s a difficult one, because if Glastonbury isn’t on what will all the suppliers do instead? So I’m inclined to think all involved will leave things as late as they possibly can because it’s in their interests to.

I used the example of series stages the other day, they supply all the main stages, it’s in their interests to be as flexible as they can possibly be, as it will be for most suppliers.